Who are the worst drivers - men or women?

124»

Comments

• robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Bone anyone?
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    It's not me who interoperated it wrong, the phrase is offensive and I can accept Slowdowncp may not have meant it to be. It doesn't mean that it is not offensive to me.

If you can accept he may not have meant it to be read like that, and accept the explanation given, then you can stop being offended, surely?

I'm also not sure I like you constantly trying to play up the race thing. Perhaps my discomfort with this (and your constant use of the word "sluts") actually proves your point?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    biondino wrote:
    I'm also not sure I like you constantly trying to play up the race thing. Perhaps my discomfort with this (and your constant use of the word "sluts") actually proves your point?

Yet another topic?

How in whatever you consider holy am I playing up the "race thing".

Earlier I said that the whole context of the thread I find wrong. I've defended women (justifying my stance) and explained why the old people comment hasn't bothered me.

However, yes, the comment about ethnic minorities offended me the most. Why shouldn't it? It is something that relates to me personally.

I mean come now Biondino your a man of rational thought and clarity even you must conclude that a thread of this nature was bound to offend someone at somepoint.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    Yes, I thought it probably would, but it's offended one person and not offended 100 or so so perhaps the one person it's offended may be a weeny bit oversensitive :)

(wouldn't it be rather patronising to say "oh it's only cos he is black innit"?)

Also, I said "playing up" the race thing, i.e. making more of it than is necessary - all your example are white this and white that - not "playing", i.e. using it as a tactic - important distinction.

Finally: when I voice offence at your sex talk, you shout me down. When you voice offence at perceived racism, and the entire board tells you you're overreacting... how is this different exactly?
  • stev3
    stev3 Posts: 12
    BoardinBob wrote:
    I said no, there were equal amounts of bad male and female drivers

very PC of you...

i find a lot of idiot moves are made by the female drivers... at least in my experience
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited January 2009
    biondino wrote:
    Yes, I thought it probably would, but it's offended one person and not offended 100 or so so perhaps the one person it's offended may be a weeny bit oversensitive :)

That would only be valid if all the people were exactly the same...
    (wouldn't it be rather patronising to say "oh it's only cos he is black innit"?)

Yes, as a black person I found it offensive and I shouldn't be afraid of expressing that. I shouldn't have to feel that my opinion is marginalised because I'm black or perhaps 'the only one in this section'.
    Also, I said "playing up" the race thing, i.e. making more of it than is necessary - all your example are white this and white that - not "playing", i.e. using it as a tactic - important distinction.

Like it or not, my issue is a matter of race. So I don't see how it is "playing up the race thing". Certainly not when the race thing is the very thing I have an issue with. Yes I used purely white examples to bring parallels too what it is I have a problem with.
    Finally: when I voice offence at your sex talk, you shout me down. When you voice offence at perceived racism, and the entire board tells you you're overreacting... how is this different exactly?

Biondino, if the phrase "I had sex today" constituted as my "sex talk" I would have a very boring sex life indeed. You're right it's not different. It's not different, it's the nature of a disagreement, discussion and conversation. One person agrees the other disagrees.
    Anyway Biondino, you can see my point and I can see yours. We are just looking at it from different perspectives through different eyes, lives and experiences. I truly believe neither are overtly wrong.

So I'm done. I've expressed my view, I've explained and justified my stance. Agree or mostly disagree, reply or don't. I'm done with this thread.

I want to get back to what I enjoy the most: riding and upgrading my bike.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I have one question:

Biondino and DonDaddyD:

Have you got ANY work done at all today?

:roll:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • biondino
    I dunno DDD, I am a wet leftie liberal type and I'm very used to perceiving injustice and bigotry and calling people out on it, even if I'm not actually black. When the offending comment was made I read it, as you did, with an "uh-oh..." but quickly figured out how it related to the context of the thread - and sdcp's later explanations backed up this viewpoint. I also don't think he put it very well but I am satisfied there was no racist intent in what was a silly, superficial but kinda fun thread - we all like to have a bit of a rant occasionally.

Linsen - um, no. I really didn't. :oops:
  • For white and black people here, to experience a properly racist society I suggest they go visit Japan :)
  • I'm not saying that the original statement about 'ethnics' wasn't racist, it was. However in this country there are double standards, no one seems to complain about South Asians calling white people 'Gora', Muslims calling non Muslims the frankly offensive 'Kafir', or the homophobic attitudes of many Jamaicans, and don't get me started on Japanese calling anyone non-Japanese 'Gaijin'.
  • IME in 10 years riding in London, the vast majority of drivers are fine. In fact, it's noticeable when I go to other towns /cities that they are out to get me (relatively speaking) ... lots of cyclists changes driver behaviour IMHO.

who are the worst here? the question inevitably invites generalisations unless you just answer ... the worst drivers and always the worst drivers :wink:

from my necesarily limited sample size ... some of the baddies ...

- the open topped tourist buses when there are no passengers on them
    - anyone driving a car with blacked out windows and big rims
    - people carrier drivers of Asian extraction (large numbers around Edgeware road and Hyde Park area)

there you go. am i racist? no. the question cannot be answered without what appears to be a generalisation ... but I'm not pretending all the people in these groups are bad drivers. Just that IME they are more likely than other road users to drive badly.
  • Konan
    Konan Posts: 43
    DonDaddyD wrote:

That is the biggest amount of B*ll*cks I've read in a long long while.

No doubt. You don't appear to read a lot at all
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Are you a politician?

No. Politicians are normally polite to the outspoken halfwits in the room as they still want their vote.
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    supported only by pathetic generalisations and propped by unsubstantiated evidence. I mean if all women have less spatial awareness why are they so good at being gymnastics and sports that demand a substaintial amount of spatial awareness.

Wow... .hard evidence there. Actually, It's propped up by well researched text books. I didn't just come along and make things up. I was also referring to predispositions, hence words like 'tend' Everybody is capable of learning new skills to whatever level they work to. The problem is, we don't really spend much time learning to drive.
    While there is nothing wrong with saying the Male of the human species is in general physically stronger than the female of the species. Its a moot point when driving a car these days.

It was purely to illustrate that there's nothing wrong with pointing out differences.
    "I have a daughter she'll never be able to drive a car as good as my son". That's what your argument supports. And that is pathetic.

Again with the lack of reading skills. I actually surmised that women are generally safer to be in a car with.
    Mentality and attitude when driving transcends gender or ethnicity...
    It's frustration and attitude adopted while within their mighty powerful car that affects their driving ability the most. - This is proven fact, its why new driving theory tests also assess attitude when driving.

Again... from first hand experience, it's generally a man doing the tailgating. Women do it too, but it tends to be men.

I'm sorry, but if you truly believe everybody is 100% the same, you best make your case to the insurance companies that modify premiums on age and gender. I'll always get higher quotes than a girl of my age and experience. That is because, as a male, I am statistically more likely to cost them money.

There's a book hanging around called 'Why men don't listen and women can't read maps' It's based on the science but isn't too heavy... you *might* manage to read it.