Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

Who are the worst drivers - men or women?

BoardinBobBoardinBob Posts: 697
edited February 2009 in Commuting chat
Been debating this with the wife after I had a rant at a woman that nearly crashed into my car. She asked if I thought all women were bad drivers. I said no, there were equal amounts of bad male and female drivers.

BUT

My view is they're bad for different reasons.

Men tend to be more agressive. Hassling to get past people, driving a lot faster and impatient etc.

Women tend to be more ignorant. They're not fully aware of other road users and hazards and they make a lot more mistakes due to not paying attention etc

Thoughts and experiences?

Who are the worst drivers - men or women? 0 votes

Men
0% 0 votes
Women
0% 0 votes
«134

Posts

  • sarajoysarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I find women are particularly aggressive and tailgatey! And also they never seem to look across when they've done something daft - I usually do in a kind of "sorry" gesture...

    I think the hard-nosed biatches must share my driving commute to work :P

    I do come across the odd aggresive male driver too but I find they're less pissy and just massively impatient.

    The only real complain I have against men in particular are the older ones in beemers and mercs who never check their blind spots or indicate. Grrr.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • sarajoysarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Oh, and in terms of which sex is worse - hrm, I dunno I think there are enough idiots of both sexes :P
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Women. Definitely. I am one so I'm allowed... they're just not as good at driving! Not all women, obviously, clearly I rock at driving, but there are far more bad women drivers than there are men.

    Sure, their accidents are less expensive, but usually because they're caused by a dozy blonde bumping someone at 5mph because they were distracted by something shiny.

    When men drive badly at least they do it with passion so that everyone can hear them coming and get out of the way...
  • Clever PunClever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I've found recently that a lot of women are more likely to wait to overtake when there's a much better space to pass

    I'd like to put it down to them staring at my censored so not being in a rush :lol:

    Not answering the question though, it's not black and white like that
    Purveyor of sonic doom

    Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Slow DowncpSlow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    As tempted as I am to say women, I think there's good and bad of both sexes.

    That said, if I'm generalising, women are less likely to let people out of a junction in traffic - they'd rather just block the sideroad and cause gridlock - and have lower spatial awareness, and will not drive through a gap big enough to drive a bus through if something is parked on their side of the road.

    Men on the other hand, drive through gaps that are too small, and more aggresively.

    The worst drivers are old people and those of ethnic origin.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • CorianderCoriander Posts: 1,326
    While I hate to admit this, I have noticed recently that if I swear at a car for their idiotic driving the driver is more likely to be a woman.

    Though if the driving is more arrogant than idiotic it does tend to be a male driver.
  • prawnyprawny Posts: 5,426
    I reckon married/co-habity women have a bit of a disadvantage cause if their blokes are anything like me they never get chance to drive :D

    This may be why mrs prawny can't park for toffee!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • bluecowbluecow Posts: 306
    The worst drivers are old people and those of ethnic origin.

    I hate to agree with you, but i do. The worst drivers i come across daily are asian drivers. Asian taxi drivers in particular.
    <braces for flaming>
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    I go with the OP - women drivers tend to do the sillier things, and men drivers tend to do the more wreckless things.
  • rb1956rb1956 Posts: 134
    The worst drivers are old people and those of ethnic origin.
    Well, everyone is of ethnic origin, so you're on a safe bet there...

    Once, I'd have said that men were worse than women. Now, I'd say there's nothing in it. Part of the change seems to be the rise of women under 30 driving aggressively with one hand on the wheel and the other clamping a mobile phone to their ear.

    Did I just have a "Darned kids! Get off my lawn!" moment?
  • DonDaddyDDonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Racist and sexist generalisations. This thread is pathetic.

    In my humble experience I find that the worse drivers are minicab drivers because they are on a clock and the nature of their job demands they do everything quickly. They have to get to their destination in the quickest possible time and that mind set doesn't make for safe driving. It arguably breeds aggressive purely offensive driving. This transcends gender or ethnicity.

    How the f*ck can driving be attributed to gender and ethnicity (basically genetics). :roll:
    Food Chain number = 4

    A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Jay dubbleUJay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Men are more aggressive - women are less spatially aware -fact (ducks) :D
  • rb1956rb1956 Posts: 134
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    How the f*ck can driving be attributed to gender and ethnicity (basically genetics). :roll:
    I don't think there's anything special about driving. Like every other skill and behaviour, it's part genetics and part training/environment IMHO. Which you regard as more important is a matter of taste, but I doubt that either is irrelevant.

    Come to think of it, this thread is pathetic.
  • il_principeil_principe Posts: 9,152
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I've found recently that a lot of women are more likely to wait to overtake when there's a much better space to pass

    I'd like to put it down to them staring at my ars* so not being in a rush :lol:

    Not answering the question though, it's not black and white like that

    What, your censored ?

    :D
    2015 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX
    2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
    2020 Canyon Inflite SL 7
    On the Strand
    Crown Stables
  • KonanKonan Posts: 43
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Racist and sexist generalisations. This thread is pathetic.

    ....

    How the f*ck can driving be attributed to gender and ethnicity (basically genetics). :roll:

    :roll:

    Quite easily. I'm going to go out on a limb here and point out there are actually differences between the sexes. That's why we have names for them, see? There is a male and a female of the species. I'm sorry if you think that's generalising.

    Insurance companies will back up quite of the views here. Women make more claims than men. Men's claims tend to be significantly higher.

    In short, you're much less likely to come to serious harm at the hands of a woman driver.. even if she does knock your wing mirror off in the car park.

    Women are far more prone to hitting objects during maneuvers. They have a less highly developed sense of space. They are also less aware when reversing. Men's senses are generally sharper in these situations due to a genetic inheritance of chasing large tusked creatures around the wilderness and throwing things at them.

    Women are far better at not doing stupid things. They also have better peripheral vision than men and more dexterity with controls. They're less aggressive.

    To generalise based on sex is just being plain sensible. Ignoring differences is ignorance, not enlightenment.

    Men are physically stronger than women.... is there something wrong in saying that? Whilst I'm sure there are plenty around of women that are stronger than men, generally it's not the case.

    Sooo.... who are the worst drivers? Any frustrated member of junior management with a 'TDI' badge on the back of their golf-based-VAG-eurobox ;)
  • Without a doubt IMHO school-run mums.

    I also work in Torbay and there's a high proportion of pensioner drivers here. Their general driving and awareness is appalling (both male & female).
  • Men, by a mile.

    Some women drivers can be a bit oblivious,, and may accidentally get too close to you or turn left across you. But I've never had a woman deliberately try to kill me. Get at least 1 bloke per day trying that.
  • Rich158Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    The worst drivers by far are the school run mums in their 4x4's. They're too distracted by trying to get three kids to different schools, through the rush hour traffic that they have created, and pay no attention to the road at all.

    The most aggressive drivers are young men (under 45) in premium cars, BMW/Audi etc. I can guarantee at least one will try to have me off the road on a daily basis, as they obviously have the right to the whole road due to the fact they are driving such a great car and are obviously driving gods.

    The most ignorant drivers are profesional drivers, they seem to have the attitude that they do this for a living so have they possibly have done anything wrong. This also makes them the most arrogant drivers, as they tend to think they have nothing to learn about driving. The general attitude tends to be how dare the general public get in the way of them doing their job.

    The drivers doing the most stu[pid things tend to be old people. Their reactions tend to be too slow, and they seemingly have trouble operating all the controlls at the same time ie pulling out of a junction, changing gear and accelerating up to the speed of the traffic. All too often I nearly run into the back of some old dear who has pulled out in first, and has to wait untill she has straightened up before then changing into second and pulling away :roll:

    I have to say the most courtesy ever shown to me has been by women drivers (perhaps this is due to my devastating good looks :wink: ) they also tend to show more remorse when they have done something stupid.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

    Revised FCN - 2
  • ChrisLSChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...in my experience women are usually more patient and cautious than male drivers...

    ...I once told my wife about a lady driver who stayed behind my mate and me when we were out one Sunday morning. I conjectured that she may have been enjoying the lovely sight of our two lycra clad bums and did not want to overtake..."they are so fat she couldn't get past" came the reply...how hurtful...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • DonDaddyDDonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited January 2009
    Konan wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Racist and sexist generalisations. This thread is pathetic.

    ....

    How the f*ck can driving be attributed to gender and ethnicity (basically genetics). :roll:

    :roll:

    Quite easily. I'm going to go out on a limb here and point out there are actually differences between the sexes. That's why we have names for them, see? There is a male and a female of the species. I'm sorry if you think that's generalising.

    Insurance companies will back up quite of the views here. Women make more claims than men. Men's claims tend to be significantly higher.

    In short, you're much less likely to come to serious harm at the hands of a woman driver.. even if she does knock your wing mirror off in the car park.

    Women are far more prone to hitting objects during maneuvers. They have a less highly developed sense of space. They are also less aware when reversing. Men's senses are generally sharper in these situations due to a genetic inheritance of chasing large tusked creatures around the wilderness and throwing things at them.

    Women are far better at not doing stupid things. They also have better peripheral vision than men and more dexterity with controls. They're less aggressive.

    To generalise based on sex is just being plain sensible. Ignoring differences is ignorance, not enlightenment.

    Men are physically stronger than women.... is there something wrong in saying that? Whilst I'm sure there are plenty around of women that are stronger than men, generally it's not the case.

    Sooo.... who are the worst drivers? Any frustrated member of junior management with a 'TDI' badge on the back of their golf-based-VAG-eurobox ;)

    That is the biggest amount of B*ll*cks I've read in a long long while. Are you a politician? Most of your claims like this:
    Women are far more prone to hitting objects during maneuvers. They have a less highly developed sense of space. They are also less aware when reversing. Men's senses are generally sharper in these situations due to a genetic inheritance of chasing large tusked creatures around the wilderness and throwing things at them.

    Are supported only by pathetic generalisations and propped by unsubstantiated evidence. I mean if all women have less spatial awareness why are they so good at being gymnastics and sports that demand a substaintial amount of spatial awareness.

    This isn't like we are assessing reactions at car racing speeds, we are talking about commuting around a town or city. Speeds usually less than 30.

    Most cars come with power steering so this is hardly relevant:
    Men are physically stronger than women.... is there something wrong in saying that? Whilst I'm sure there are plenty around of women that are stronger than men, generally it's not the case.

    While there is nothing wrong with saying the Male of the human species is in general physically stronger than the female of the species. Its a moot point when driving a car these days. Going slow enough and with the aid of powersteering, anyone can turn a steering wheel.
    To generalise based on sex is just being plain sensible. Ignoring differences is ignorance, not enlightenment.

    Some would argue that generalisations when overtly negative and are such that they refuse exceptions lead towards prejudice. Your supposed justifcation that generalisations are OK precludes this:

    "I have a daughter she'll never be able to drive a car as good as my son". That's what your argument supports. And that is pathetic.

    A persons driving ability during a commute; the decisions they make tend to come down to attitude and mentality, hence the term aggressive and defensive driving. If a person is running late, under pressure to get the kids to school early or on the clock they are more likely to take risks and its poorly assessed risks that lead to accidents (psychologically proven). That is what makes for a poor driver.

    Mentality and attitude when driving transcends gender or ethnicity.

    Oh and guess what, I think you agree with me:
    Sooo.... who are the worst drivers? Any frustrated member of junior management with a 'TDI' badge on the back of their golf-based-VAG-eurobox ;)

    It's frustration and attitude adopted while within their mighty powerful car that affects their driving ability the most. - This is proven fact, its why new driving theory tests also assess attitude when driving.
    Food Chain number = 4

    A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clever PunClever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I've found recently that a lot of women are more likely to wait to overtake when there's a much better space to pass

    I'd like to put it down to them staring at my ars* so not being in a rush :lol:

    Not answering the question though, it's not black and white like that

    What, your ars*?

    :D

    it is tattooed... how'd you... ah facebook :lol:

    Everyone Jash has been staring at my @rse
    Purveyor of sonic doom

    Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever PunClever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DDD wrote:
    Are supported only by pathetic generalisations and propped by unsubstantiated evidence. I mean if all women have less spatial awareness why are they so good at being gymnastics and sports that demand a substaintial amount of spatial awareness.

    woah there that's a massive generalisation... think before outraged rant
    Purveyor of sonic doom

    Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyDDonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Clever Pun wrote:
    DDD wrote:
    Are supported only by pathetic generalisations and propped by unsubstantiated evidence. I mean if all women have less spatial awareness why are they so good at being gymnastics and sports that demand a substaintial amount of spatial awareness.

    woah there that's a massive generalisation... think before outraged rant

    It's a counterargument against a negative generalisation. The truth is not all women are good at gymnastics and not all men or men have better spatial awareness than women.

    But I did think that and I agree.

    Look I'm not saying that generalisations are inherently wrong (I work in marketing, everything is about generalising and segmenting the population into groups). But it's what generalisations that are being made. If the generalisations is of a derogrative nature, then that is wrong. And that is my issue with the thread.
    Food Chain number = 4

    A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • CiBCiB Posts: 6,098
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ...But it's what generalisations that are being made. If the generalisations is of a derogrative nature, then that is wrong. And that is my issue with the thread.

    What a load of pants. You seriously saying that generalisations are ok as long they're not derogatory? Even when they happen to be true? We can't say something that is factual because derogatory genralisations are out? Wow. Welcome to England 2009...

    Women get my vote. In these dank grey wet mornings with misty rain and patches of fog and rear-view mirrors generally carrying rain drops to obscure the view a little more, the number of cars that loom out of the fog / mist / rain displaying no lights, or worse only sidelights (they've not forgotten, made the effort, but got it entirely wrong) that are being driven by women far outnumbers blokes. Plod could have a field day, rather than waiting for drivers not wearing seat-belts and picking them off one at a time for £60 a pop, they should pull in every driver not showing dipped headlights when visibility is reduced and hand out a ticket for that.
  • Slow DowncpSlow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Surely everyone's opinion is just that - their opinion (even if others think it wrong).
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • DonDaddyDDonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ...But it's what generalisations that are being made. If the generalisations is of a derogrative nature, then that is wrong. And that is my issue with the thread.

    What a load of pants. You seriously saying that generalisations are ok as long they're not derogatory? Even when they happen to be true? We can't say something that is factual because derogatory genralisations are out? Wow. Welcome to England 2009...

    Yes, if the generalisation is used to belittle a group of people and it has no real basis or factual supporting argument then it is wrong.

    A negative generalisation not regulated or properly assessed can lead to prejudice, structured to hold people back. This is fact and has been proven throughout time.
    Women get my vote. In these dank grey wet mornings with misty rain and patches of fog and rear-view mirrors generally carrying rain drops to obscure the view a little more, the number of cars that loom out of the fog / mist / rain displaying no lights, or worse only sidelights (they've not forgotten, made the effort, but got it entirely wrong) that are being driven by women far outnumbers blokes.

    How can you prove that this generalisation is true? Do drive the entire width and length of the country. Have you encountered all female drivers in England, your city or even those that share your commute.

    Your view and belief that what you are saying is true is narrow-minded at best.
    Food Chain number = 4

    A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • SewinmanSewinman Posts: 2,131
    DonDaddyD wrote:

    How can you prove that this generalisation is true? Do drive the entire width and length of the country. Have you encountered all female drivers in England, your city or even those that share your commute.

    A minor point, but if he had then it would not be a generalisation but a fact.

    Women suck at parking, but i find them to be kinder to the cyclist..if they notice you.
  • DonDaddyDDonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited January 2009
    Surely everyone's opinion is just that - their opinion (even if others think it wrong).

    Your bigoted opinion that 'all ethnics are bad drivers' isn't OK. It's not something that should be overlooked or tolerated. Your prejudiced, your opinion and the belief that you are right creates an image of a pathetic narrow-minded human being. But that's alright, it's your opinion you are entitled to it. As I am mine (even if other's think I'm/you're wrong).

    What? Didn't you think that people from ethnic minorities might use this website? Or that we may cycle and enjoy a commute. How about living outside that bubble you call a World and realise that there is a World with different types of people around you.

    That censored you said earlier was really f*cking offensive.
    Food Chain number = 4

    A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyDDonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited January 2009
    Sewinman wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

    How can you prove that this generalisation is true? Do drive the entire width and length of the country. Have you encountered all female drivers in England, your city or even those that share your commute.

    A minor point, but if he had then it would not be a generalisation but a fact.

    Then this:
    Sewinman wrote:
    A minor point, but if he had then it would not be a generalisation but a fact.

    Is my reposne to this:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    But it's what generalisations that are being made. If the generalisations is of a derogrative nature, then that is wrong. And that is my issue with the thread.


    What a load of pants. You seriously saying that generalisations are ok as long they're not derogatory? Even when they happen to be true?

    A generalisation that is true is fact. A generalisation of a derogative nature such as women are worse drivers than men because they have less spatial awareness are the weaker sex and cannot handle their emotions isn't fact at all. It's wrong and serves only to limit the people the generalisations are being made against.
    Food Chain number = 4

    A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • sarajoysarajoy Posts: 1,675
    DonDaddyD - I accept that some generalisations should be avoided due to their derogatory nature - HOWEVER being supposedly a 'victim' of this thread (you seem to be defending the women, but you're certainly not arguing back about men being more aggressive) - I'm happy with most or all of the statements made so far.

    Asian drivers - Hrrm, well mainly because cab drivers are predominantly Asian around here, and cab drivers tend to be reckless in their driving - I agree. Whether an 'Asian' driving mentality leads to being a cabbie, or it's the cabbie mentality rubbing off on the Asians, I know not.

    To be fair to the cabs, if you completely ignore them, they never seem to get in the way, and seem to be pretty good judges of space, distance, speed etc - I mean it's what they do, day-in-day-out. The problem is that even though they know they can fit into a gap or pull off fast enough not to bother the car or bike coming along - they spook people who aren't quite as assured as they are, leading to panic-braking and what looks like a lot of near-misses. This is the bit they forget and what is dangerous.

    Drop the words 'generalisation' and 'stereotype' and replace them with 'trend' or similar - insurers indeed wouldn't offer different insurance premiums to different sexes, ages, demographic groups (one insurer on the phone once asked me if I smoked! WTF?), if there wasn't some kind of trends evident in each of these groups, thoroughly analysed by a bunch of actuaries.

    It's not necessarily genetic - however the /trend/ in this country still hangs towards more men doing a 9-to-5, more women part-time or looking after home/children, the old-fashioned stereotypes - whether you like it or not. This means more men driving during rush-hour, which is a time when you often /need/ to be a little aggressive or finely-tuned in your driving. So men as a whole get more practice in this. More stress, in more of a rush, hence risks taken and therefore accidents tend to be bigger.

    Just one of them things, innit.

    I daresay if men and women were completely balanced - in work and leisure, more men at home during daytimes, time spent on the road fairly equal, and a 1:1 male:female ratio on the road at all times of the day, the types of incident experienced by the sexes would even out...

    ...wow, that was a long post!
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
Sign In or Register to comment.