Very angry

13»

Comments

• System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    WD40 is not a proper lube. Well, maybe for lubing door hinges to stop them squeeking or something, but there is no way on earth it is good enough for a drivechain. Considering a proper wet or dry lube designed for the job only costs a couple of quid I'm surprised there are so many people still using it (and it's messy cousin 3in1) as a drivechain lube. Why take the chance when good proper stuff is so cheap. Even with the fixie which gets used the most, and lubed once a week, a big bottle of Finish Line Cross Country at £7 will last nearly a year.

WD40 is good for applying to a chain after a wash if only to drive out moisture, but I'd always back it up with a proper oil. It's fantastic for cleaning white bar tape though.

As for the OP, cheap hubs will wear out really quick. They just don't have decent enough seals to deal with crap weather and combined with cheap bearings, will see them dying pretty quick. Rims are the same if you don't take proper care. You can wash stuff till your hearts content, but if you don't pick those little bits of aluminium out your blocks every couple of rides, rims aren't going to last very long at all.

Personally I think it sounds like you have a fairly decent and honest LBS. The fact they actually approached Specialized instead of just selling you some new stuff proves that. It's more than a lot LBS' would do.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    System wrote:
    WD40 is not a proper lube. Well, maybe for lubing door hinges to stop them squeeking or something, but there is no way on earth it is good enough for a drivechain.

I don't think anyone is claiming that WD should be marketed and sold specifically as a chain lube - because it obviously isn't. But my own experiences with it (see above) suggest that at the very worst, it is perfectly adequate as a chain lube. Granted that one person's experience does not equal a full scientific study, but how do you explain such diametrically-opposed opinions on a single thread..?