Benefits of LAs visit to Australia

13»

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,128
    Thanks then. I'm glad you're here to tell us what we can and can't comment on.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    andyp wrote:

you are the one throwing insults first, taking what is basically a bullying tone to people who don't agree with you.keep it cleaner pls
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    andyp wrote:

I dont see anybody saying you cant comment on it you can comment on whatever you see fit call people twats whatever you feel the need to do . This is about your lack of impartiality when it comes to issues surrounding Lance.

MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • andyp
    Moray Gub wrote:
    I dont see anybody saying you cant comment on it you can comment on whatever you see fit call people twats whatever you feel the need to do . This is about your lack of impartiality when it comes to issues surrounding Lance.
    Whereas you are, of course, completely impartial?

My question was genuine, what does Horner base his 100,000 extra spectators at the TDU on? He's not exactly impartial now is he?

I've called Dave_1 a twat before and probably will again if he continues to contradict himself on a daily basis. He's also big enough to look after himself.
  • dave_1
    andyp wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

My question was genuine, what does Horner base his 100,000 extra spectators at the TDU on? He's not exactly impartial now is he?

I've called Dave_1 a fool before and probably will again if he continues to contradict himself on a daily basis. He's also big enough to look after himself.

win your points with reasoned debate, not insults...Andyp, people will respect you more...
  • andyp
    Dave_1 wrote:
    win your points with reasoned debate, not insults...Andyp, people will respect you more...
    Thanks for the patronising comment.

Reasoned debate seems to have died a death on here. Witness Mr Norward's contributions.
  • dave_1
    andyp wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

I've called Dave_1 a fool before and probably will again if he continues to contradict himself on a daily basis. He's also big enough to look after himself.

where do I contradict myself?
  • andyp
  • dave_1
    andyp wrote:

what? Which posting? Accept everone at TDF GC level level likely doped but have no proof that courts would accept and still respect their talent and don't accept your some respond better to doping than others theory. No contradication there. Dislike his foundation,but think he pulls the crowds in.

And where's your LA only good for cycling in USA theory of 4 years ago?...Oz seems to show he boosts cycling's profile wherever he goes..
  • Figures released today show that the 2009 Tour Down Under was the biggest event ever staged in South Australia.

Premier Mike Rann today announced the preliminary economic impact and research figures for the event, which was held in South Australia from 18-25 January.

“The 2009 Tour Down Under has broken almost every record for a sporting event held in South Australia,” Premier Rann said.

“Visitor numbers were doubled, the economic impact was more than doubled, and the amount of media coverage has increased five-fold since the 2008 event.

“The 2009 Tour Down Under injected a massive $39million into the South Australian economy, from the tens of thousands of visitors who travelled here from interstate and overseas. It was the biggest event we have ever staged.

The $39million economic impact compares to $17.3million in 2008, an increase of 125 per cent (on top of an increase of 50.4 per cent from 2007 to 2008).

“36,200 people from interstate and overseas travelled Adelaide and South Australia specifically to watch the event, compared with 15,100 people last year,” said Premier Rann.

“The Tour Down Under has grown every year since its inception in 1999, and with the participation of cycling legend Lance Armstrong in 2009 we knew the results this year would be huge.

“Lance’s decision to make his cycling comeback at the Tour Down Under was an incredible boost for the event and gave us the opportunity to showcase South Australia to a global audience.

“The ‘Lance Factor’ attracted many more people to the Tour Down Under, but their great experiences here in South Australia and their enjoyment of the festival of cycling will entice them back to future events,” said Tourism Minister Jane Lomax-Smith.

“The Tour Down Under was front page news here in Australia and around the world, and over $210 million of editorial media coverage has been achieved so far.

“Television coverage beamed the State’s beautiful vineyards and spectacular coastline into homes across Europe, Asia and the United States.

“The research also shows that crowd figures were even bigger than were first estimated, with over 760,500 people taking to the streets to watch the action during the seven days of racing.”

The revised crowd figures are an increase on the initial SAPOL estimates of 743,000.

“The Tour Down Under was a massive boost for South Australia and we look forward to another fantastic event in 2010 when the event will again kick-off the prestigious UCI ProTour calendar,” said PremierRann.

Not bad, but it will go back to previous years as soon as LA stops coming.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • David Beckham's taken the LA Galaxy on the road and in fact, they went to New Zealand or Australia, probably both as well as to various places in the US and Canada.

It probably wasn't utmost in Lance Armstrong's mind, but in a way it may have turned out the same way.

Beckham taking his show on the road is a lot like a rock band would or in fact, back in the old days, the '20s, there were some football teams that indeed did go from town to town and play teams and claim to be the best in the world.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    richard wants a baum, I'm not so sure the crowds will go back to previous years - though economic times may dictate this more than the non-appearance of LA. In future events, organisers will try to entice the big names of the sport to travel to Australia and I'm pretty sure that with good organisation and continued State Govt backing, they will succeed.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Speaking as someone who tried to estimate crowd numbers at the London Grand Depart, has anyone thought to ask themselves how one counts crowd numbers at a dispersed, non-ticketed event that goes a different route every year?

If they know, please ping me. All of the available methods, including aerial photography, cordon pedestrian counts and surveys are riddled with levels of error way above the extra 15-odd percent claimed by Horner.

And as for AUZ$39 million being a 'massive' impact :roll:

Strava is not Zen.
  • Top_Bhoy wrote:
    richard wants a baum, I'm not so sure the crowds will go back to previous years - though economic times may dictate this more than the non-appearance of LA. In future events, organisers will try to entice the big names of the sport to travel to Australia and I'm pretty sure that with good organisation and continued State Govt backing, they will succeed.

The event will definately keep growing, but im pretty sure it will revert back to its previous Pre Lance rate.

calvjones
    And as for AUZ$39 million being a 'massive' impact

Sounds small doesnt it but remmber that adelaides like th 4th largest city in Australia and really not that big at all a little over 1.5 million. 39 million over a week is a massive boost for our local economy with a fair bit of that going to our regional areas where the stages are held which are struggling with drought and slowing economy. We also not generally the first place people want to come when they visit Australia so this event is particulary aimed at getting the Adelaide name into visiters heads.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Everyone is so hooked up on Lance that they are forgetting that this year was also the first year the TDU gained UCI status.

My prediction is that over-all spectators may well dip slightly next year (locals will go back to doing whatever they do), but after all oft his years exposure and another strong line up for 2010 interest from interstate and overseas will grow at a more natural and healthy rate.

Now if only they actually had a decent website. :roll:

The long grazed legged one
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The emu wrote:
    Everyone is so hooked up on Lance that they are forgetting that this year was also the first year the TDU gained UCI status.

You mean as a ProTour race? No, that was last year.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    iainf72 wrote:
    The emu wrote:

Agreed, but it was very much a last minute thing and most of the pre-race marketing material didn't mention it. For this year, the race was fully advertised with Pro Tour status in mind (as well as LAs 1st comeback race) :wink:
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    iainf72 wrote:
    The emu wrote:

Oh yes... :oops: except they weren't ready for it, so fell off the radar of most, including the teams.

The long grazed legged one