Limited time - recovery time needed?

leonlikestrees
leonlikestrees Posts: 528
I have limited time to train, and for whatever reason, I'm feeling more motivated this season than I have for about 10years!

I travel a lot with work, which quite often means I can't touch a bike (or go for a run, etc) for a few days at a time. As a father of a young child, I can't jsut head out and ride for hours at the weekend.

At the moment, I manage pretty consistenty one 3hr ride at the weekend, another one in the evening most weeks (but not every week due to work constraints), and I usually commute into work a couple of times a week (but unfortunately I can't extend this as I have to do the nursery run).

The way it ends up is that I all my free time comes on one day, so I wonder, if I'm not doing much for a day or two either side, is there any sense in doing an interval session on my lunch break (I;ve been doing hill intervals - 2 minute climbs, 4 minutes rest is my circuit), and then following up with a 3 hr ride in the evening, or is this counterproductive?

Likewise, it sometimes works out that the only training I can do is consequetive days, so If I ride hard for 2 days in a row, then have 4 days off, is this going to do me any good?

I won't be road racing this year, but I'll probably do some time trials, and I usualy do a few mountain bike events, so it's not like I'm trying to get my 2nd cat or anything, but I want to feel fast again like I used to!

Thanks for any advice.

Leon