tricross single fixed and guards q's

karnali
karnali Posts: 703
edited January 2009 in Road general
just got my tricroass (thanks pearsons) i want ot put a fixed cog on the other side of the hub, will i need a lock ring as well?

also what guards do folks run on their tricorsses
thanks

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "will i need a lock ring as well?"

Altho' some folk run without, might as well really - don't cost a lot!

Mudguards? As far as I know even the fixationistas have yet to claim that some some 'grds are fixed-specific! So any you fancy - tho' in mounting them might wish to take account of rearwards removal of the wheel. Some do this by using secu-clip or someother Q/R fastening at the drop outs. I just leave the stays protruding sufficiently to allow the 'grd to be moved upwards (tho' not always necessary depending on where the axle is in the drop out slots and tyre size - especially if it's flat!).
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Looking at the images on the pearson site you're going to need another set of front stays and a pair of secuclips so you can do the qr thing with the rear guard. Secu clips can be picked up from SJSC for a beer token, and another set of stays will set you back 15 beer tokens :(
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    redvee wrote:
    Secu clips can be picked up from SJSC for a beer token

Plus £2.50 postage :shock:
    More problems but still living....
  • Hi, mine came with a lock ring already fitted to the hub, also recommend miche track sprockets. these fit on a carrier that is left fitted to the hub you just remove the lockring and change sprocket. seperate sprockets can be bought for £5-6.
    SKS P35 (P45 if usung larger profile tyres) mudguards are by far the best, just need to leave a bit more clearance on the rear guard to allow rear wheel removal from the horizontal dropout. Ribble cycles are cheapest for these.
    Focus Cayo
    Planet x stealth
    Ritchey Breakaway Steel Cross
    Specialized Singlecross Fixed 46:16
  • JonBurns
    JonBurns Posts: 212
    I'm expecting to have a Tricross delivered tomorrow and have been speccing some accessories.

I'm looking at getting mudguards, rack and panniers (and getting it fixed in time)

Seems as though full SKS guards are the way forward however the bike comes with 32mm tyres, that would be the max tyre width I'd ever run so could the SKS P35's fit ok (I know they state only up to 28mm but would it make that much difference? The P45's just seem a little excessive especially if I went down to 25mm tyres? (Also been a northern git the P35's are way cheaper than the P45's that I've seen :D )

OT, but any recommendations on racks or are they all pretty much the same?

and finally anyone had any experience of the DHB panniers around £23 or can suggest some others around that price that are waterproof.

As you've probably guessed I'm making this a commuter but would like it done cheaply as possible.

Ta
  • Matt-B
    Matt-B Posts: 112
    JonBurns wrote:
    I'm expecting to have a Tricross delivered tomorrow and have been speccing some accessories.

I'm looking at getting mudguards, rack and panniers (and getting it fixed in time)

Seems as though full SKS guards are the way forward however the bike comes with 32mm tyres, that would be the max tyre width I'd ever run so could the SKS P35's fit ok (I know they state only up to 28mm but would it make that much difference? The P45's just seem a little excessive especially if I went down to 25mm tyres? (Also been a northern git the P35's are way cheaper than the P45's that I've seen :D )

OT, but any recommendations on racks or are they all pretty much the same?

and finally anyone had any experience of the DHB panniers around £23 or can suggest some others around that price that are waterproof.

As you've probably guessed I'm making this a commuter but would like it done cheaply as possible.

Ta

I bought a tricross from Pearsons for exactly the same purpose, and am seemingly getting the same stuff as you...

I went into Evans on Sunday and asked about the 'guards, rack and so on. I had them test a couple of sets of the SKS Chromoplastic guards on my bike, and we found that the P50's were a tad too big (they're the hybrid ones) and ideally I'd need a P45 (I'm still running the stock tyres, this may change if you have swapped them out) - they didn't have the P45 in stock, so I went and bought them off wiggle. The P35s seemed a little tight.

I bought the Tortec expedition rack - it seems to have got some nice reviews and it fit the bike, so it's all good. It's actually on the bike and seems solid, so I can vouch for it being OK so far!

I have also ordered (being delivered today) the DHB Marsden panniers - they seemed OK - I'm not planning any major touring or anything, so I don't need anything majorly expensive. I will report back with opinions when they arrive and are fitted...
  • nielsamd
    nielsamd Posts: 174
    Matt-B wrote:
    JonBurns wrote:
    .......Ta

The P35s seemed a little tight.

Hmmmmm. Interesting. I was *also* going to get P35s (max.28 ) for the stock tyres (32) too.
    4mm ... we shall see. I think I'll still try them and if there's too much rub on the stay it'll be tyre change time....
  • Matt-B
    nielsamd wrote:
    Matt-B wrote:
    JonBurns wrote:
    .......Ta

The P35s seemed a little tight.

Hmmmmm. Interesting. I was *also* going to get P35s (max.28 ) for the stock tyres (32) too.
    4mm ... we shall see. I think I'll still try them and if there's too much rub on the stay it'll be tyre change time....

This is on the advice of evans, and I have neeeever had full mudguards before, so don't take me as gospel... I may be wrong. Either way, I have a set of p45s under my desk right now, and will hopefully be fitting them before I set off home... Otherwise I'll be angry!

AON, the Marsden panniers are under the desk too. Will report back!
  • d_c_h_w
    d_c_h_w Posts: 31
    There is so much clearance between brake bridges and tyres you will be fine with either.

Whether the P35's will give adequate protection from spray with 32mm tyres is another matter.

I am using 28mm tyres with B42 SKS Blumels, which seem about right, and allows me to put the stock tyres back on if required
  • nielsamd
    nielsamd Posts: 174
    d_c_h_w wrote:
    There is so much clearance between brake bridges and tyres you will be fine with either.

Whether the P35's will give adequate protection from spray with 32mm tyres is another matter.

I am using 28mm tyres with B42 SKS Blumels, which seem about right, and allows me to put the stock tyres back on if required

Actually, I was thinking more about side clearance. i.e. If the P35's metal stays ever flex/wobble into the wider tyres.
    I think the spray problem will be ok at least on the road having ridden/commuted behind many a guardless MTB and analysing (nothing else to do?) the shape of the jet of water arcing/streaming at me from an apexed cross-section above their tyre and into my face (as well as said MTBers buttocks/back).
  • JonBurns
    JonBurns Posts: 212
    Ok spoken to my dad and I think I've managed to get some of his old mudguards off him for free so who cares about size (I know I raised the question). When I get them I'll obviously measure them and let you all know.

Also got his original fixed sprocket from his Genesis so just need a lock ring to complete the fixed conversion. Any of you guys bought one recently and from where, are there different sizes I should look out for?

Matt B let me know how you get on with the panniers (and also the tugnut search from your other post), I might even look into a rack top bag as might be a little more stable?

My bike arrived today and so I've put it all together, just one question though I took the silly brake levers off, now obviously there's cable outers that run under the bar tape but is it ok to just have the other bits of cable outer running straight up to them (even thought about taping them up on the handle bar so not to allow the cable to bend).

Cheers all, oh and great bike I've only jumped a few kerbs down the street so far :D
  • redvee
    When I had to extend the brake outer on my road bike, 105 STIs, I unwrapped the tape 3", chopped the brake outer there and added a longer piece so that the join was well under the tape away from the elements.
  • Matt-B
    JonBurns wrote:
    Also got his original fixed sprocket from his Genesis so just need a lock ring to complete the fixed conversion. Any of you guys bought one recently and from where, are there different sizes I should look out for?

I bought a surly lockring from Charlie the Bike Monger (http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/), arrived within a couple of days and was a cinch to fit (it's really been too easy with this bike, I have a feeling it's all going to fall apart one day on the way to work...) Was literally just a case of greasing it up and screwing it on! What size sprocket have you inherited?
    JonBurns wrote:
    Matt B let me know how you get on with the panniers (and also the tugnut search from your other post), I might even look into a rack top bag as might be a little more stable?

OK, so the panniers arrived yesterday (along with the SKS mudguards, which I didn't fit as they seemed a tad fiddly and I was feeling super lazy, although they do seem to be the right size at 45mm.) and I fitted them for the ride home.

First impressions are that they are very solid, basically do exactly what they say on the tin. They were a bit of a tight fit on my aluminium rack, but they still fit and are very stable. I am a terrible packer and the weights were wildly different in each pannier but I still rode home without a problem, felt very balanced. It feels a bit weird having the extra width on the bike, but I have never had panniers before. Anyway, I would recommend them, they do seem a tad larger than many of the panniers I see on the road though, but they are just the right size for me. I don't know about a racktop bag, it wouldn't be enough space for me, so I didn't bother looking into them.
    JonBurns wrote:
    My bike arrived today and so I've put it all together, just one question though I took the silly brake levers off, now obviously there's cable outers that run under the bar tape but is it ok to just have the other bits of cable outer running straight up to them (even thought about taping them up on the handle bar so not to allow the cable to bend).

I was planning on doing this (the brakes feel super weak with the cross top levers on, as I'm sure you know) but I'm too lazy right now. If I was going to do it I'd probably just take all the bar tape off and replace all the outer, but that's just me and I'm weird. For a quicker solution, redvee's idea sounds better!
  • I've fitted SKS P45 - running with 32mm Marathon pluses - and they fit fine - no spray from the rain yesterday.

Only real problem was fitting the front guard onto the top of the fork - ended up placing the but in the front and bold at the back
  • glenwatt
    glenwatt Posts: 155
    kevinn123 wrote:
    I've fitted SKS P45 - running with 32mm Marathon pluses - and they fit fine - no spray from the rain yesterday.

Only real problem was fitting the front guard onto the top of the fork - ended up placing the but in the front and bold at the back

I fitted the same P45s however with 28mm tyres and yes minimal if any spray.
    I had the same issue fitting the guards, did you find you ended up with a larger than expected gap between tyre and guard at the front edge?
    Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
  • smithers
    smithers Posts: 319
    Folks, what size are the mudguard/rack mounting holes on the chainstays of the '09 Singlespeed/Sport (I assume they are the same frame).

I went to fit my rear SKS guard and it looks to me like they need a smaller bolt than anything supplied with the guards or the rack (think supplied are M5).

Thanks in anticipation :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge will overcome!
  • d_c_h_w
    d_c_h_w Posts: 31
    The supplied SKS bolts worked for me.

Note: The bolt for the front mudguard pushes through and is attached with a nut. However the bolt for the rear actually threads into the bridge, so you shouldn't be able to push it through.

Hope you get it sorted out. :)
  • smithers
    Thanks but it sounds like you are describing the main bolts at the fork crown and seat stay, I'm on about the ones down near the rear sprocket. The holes look threaded but seem smaller unless there is a blob of paint in the way and I need to be braver :shock:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge will overcome!
  • Matt-B
    OK, I've just fitted my mudguards (SKS Chromoplastic P45) and they were bloody fiddly.

The holes near the sprocket are M4. I used the bolts that came with my rack, they worked fine.

I have to say though, unless I have done something wrong (which is very possible...) the clearances are very tight... I still have the stock tyres on and I had to do a fair bit of fiddling to make sure the back one didn't rub. Front one was fine.

Sure something will happen on the commute tomorrow....
  • smithers
    Thanks Matt :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge will overcome!
  • I fitted the same P45s however with 28mm tyres and yes minimal if any spray.
    I had the same issue fitting the guards, did you find you ended up with a larger than expected gap between tyre and guard at the front edge?

- yes there was a huge gap on the front tyre at the rear - was thinking of cutting a few cm's off the mental stays to bring it in a bit closer

used the bolts that came with the guards - hadto use the two long ones on the front wheel though - so lots off thread showing "inside" the front wheel
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "so lots off thread showing "inside" the front wheel"

Hack saws are cheap!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I went for the P45s, and a Tortec Ultralite rack. Have P35s on my tourer and I don't reckon they would work with the stock tyres due to the stays on the side. I am planning on putting 700x25c tyres on but would be nice to have the option.

Didn't consider the issue with rear wheel removal until after I had them on, bit of an annoyance. The fitting hole is very close to the track end also, will probably get in the way of the Surly Tuggnut I was planning on using. Might try the front secu clip on the back idea- do I need to put front stays on the back for this to work, e.g. the rear stays won't go into the secu clips? Where would I get a spare pair of front stays?

To be honest I am already reconsidering the idea of the Chromoplastics on this bike!

Regarding sawing off the mudguard stays on the front, I can't do this with a hacksaw (not the one I used to saw through the aluminum rack anyway), the steel is too hard, any other suggestions?

Regarding the brakes, I was initially planning on removing the in-line levers but turns out I really like them. They don't do anything to the cable when you are not pulling them so should not affect braking performance at all. I can lift the rear wheel easily from front braking with either lever, planning on adding adjustable noodles to allow easier adjustment as the pads wear.

th_2009-01-23_02.jpg th_tricross_mudguards_01.jpg th_tricross_mudguards_02.jpg
  • redvee
    blorg wrote:
    Might try the front secu clip on the back idea- do I need to put front stays on the back for this to work, e.g. the rear stays won't go into the secu clips? Where would I get a spare pair of front stays?

Look to my earleir replies in this thread about the supply of stays etc for SKS spares.
  • blorg
    redvee wrote:
    Look to my earleir replies in this thread about the supply of stays etc for SKS spares.
    Is this to say that the only option for a front stay is the entire fitting kit at £15 and that it isn't possible to stick rear stays into a secu clip? These guards are looking less and less appealing!
  • karnali
    karnali Posts: 703
    fitted the front p45 guard and yes had loads of gap between so i chopped about 1 inch from all of the stays with a pipe cutting tool. Have not fitted the rear one yet as i fid the rack keeps me pretty dry anyway. will fit it at some stage though.

Had the first ride yesterday back from work with it fixed, great fun.

I also use the marsden pannier and find them great although hard work at the end of a day with a heavy pannier and a hilly route home
  • redvee
    blorg wrote:
    redvee wrote:
    Is this to say that the only option for a front stay is the entire fitting kit at £15 and that it isn't possible to stick rear stays into a secu clip? These guards are looking less and less appealing!

It seems that way unless you can get hold of some stainless/galvanised rod or piano wire in a suitable thickness locally. Four lengths going to be cheaper than SJSC prices.
  • blorg
    Thanks for that tip with cutting karnali, I have had a bit of toe strike since fitting it. On the plus side, there is no problem pulling out the rear wheel with the back mudguard fitted (I didn't even leave a particularly large amount of clearance.)

Bike is now just about built up but weighs a ton (12kg to be precise :D)
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    redvee wrote:
    blorg wrote:
    redvee wrote:

It seems that way unless you can get hold of some stainless/galvanised rod or piano wire in a suitable thickness locally. Four lengths going to be cheaper than SJSC prices.
    I can see little benefit of the secu-clip on the rear. Anything you go over is likely to be displaced or "sucked up" by the front wheel, and if something did get through it is unlikely to get in the (higher) mudguard end on the rear, and even if it did, a rear wheel lockup is far less dangerous than a front wheel one.
  • blorg
    @alfablue- the only reason for a secu clip on the rear would be so that you can take the wheel out without removing the entire mudguard (rear facing track ends, wheel has to come out back into the mudguard.) In practice though removing the rear wheel is not actually a problem so no need to get a secu clip on the rear.