prince Harry's remarks

Fastlad
Fastlad Posts: 908
edited March 2009 in Campaign
So he was heard on film to call one of his platoon a Paki. So bloody what!!! What the hell is offensive about that? Would the asian community feel better if he called him pakistani? Paki is just short for pakistani. Jeez, i'm glaswegian and i've been called a lot worse when i've been south of the border but i don't go on the defensive. Good on harry for not giving a toss about being P.C He was even reported to have finished a telephone conversation to has granny with....God save you!!! LOL :lol:

Comments

• so hes a racist just like his grandad
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Why does this get attention? Its no different for some ned/chav calling someone on the street an offensive name, which is an everyday occurance!
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    you so damn right there fella

P**i is just an abbreviation like ni**er is just a version of negro

theyre just words

HIGHLY OFFENSIVE ONES

duh!
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • so hes a racist just like his grandad

what, his Spencer grandad, or his Hewitt grandad? :lol:
  • Lysander
    Lysander Posts: 349
    The sooner we get rid of the royal family and have an elected head of state the better. Prince Harry is nothing but a spoilt little boy like his dad. How dim do you have to be to be 3rd in line to the thrown and make remarks like that.
  • Schmako wrote:
    Why does this get attention? Its no different for some ned/chav calling someone on the street an offensive name, which is an everyday occurance!

I think it's something to do with the fact that unlike yer average ned/chav he just might one day be head of state and thus represent millions of people of widely varying creeds and colours. Some might think that being a little bit racist is incompatible with such a duty, but they're likely to be wrong-thinking leftie liberals who don't even know all the words to the national anthem.

(nb. whether or not the little twerp is actually racist is still an open question, but would anyone really be surprised?)
  • Lysander
    So we would have no tourist industry if we had an elected head of state, yeah right. The royal family leech millions from the tax payer every year. They make no contribution for their secutiry arrangements for a start. They are a waste of space.
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Lysander wrote:
    So we would have no tourist industry if we had an elected head of state, yeah right. The royal family leech millions from the tax payer every year. They make no contribution for their secutiry arrangements for a start. They are a waste of space.

going back to your first post and then this one you convieniently forget that he has fought for our country, have you ? you baffoon
  • Lysander
    What 6 weeks in a soft part of Afganistan guarded round the clock by the SAS.
  • Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    Lysander, I find it strange that you think security arrangements would be cheaper with an elected head of state and that you would end up with more intelligent comments coming from them. Buck house belongs to the state and would most probably have to be kept as secure as it is now even without a monarch as it would definitely host the state banquets which happen in republics as often as in monarchies and if we had an elected president it is likely that we would adopt similar system to Ireland, Germany, etc who have both a president and a prime minister and guess where his offical state residence would be. As for stupid statements by heads of state or their deputies just look at the US.

Returning to the OP yes it is a term that can be offensive but so can calling some one a scouser, cockney or scots g$%. It is often how it is said not what is said. This issue is also over blown in that this is 3 year old news and can any one say that everything they said or did as a student was blameless and inoffensive. This is surely just a military matter between him and his commanding officer.
  • Jake151 wrote:
    Lysander wrote:
    The sooner we get rid of the royal family and have an elected head of state the better. Prince Harry is nothing but a spoilt little boy like his dad. How dim do you have to be to be 3rd in line to the thrown and make remarks like that.

What are you talking about, the amount of money that the royal family bring into the UK so some fat americans can come along and go 'Hey look, theys gots a big old castle and more history then us' and spend all there money on souvenirs ect.

Good on Harry that guy he said it to is probably illegal anyways XD

Personally I don't care about this amount of money that they may or may not generate.

What I think is that it makes us a laughing stock to have a head of state who got the job through birth and not through effort, intelligence, suitability, popularity, democracy or any other number of qualifying factors way better than birth.
  • Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    What I think is that it makes us a laughing stock to have a head of state who got the job through birth and not through effort, intelligence, suitability, popularity, democracy or any other number of qualifying factors way better than birth.

In response three words George W Bush
  • Lysander
    One of Fergies daughters spent the New Year in Goa. A security detail had to be assigned to her at guess who's expense. You don't think for a holiday jaunt like that they should pay their own way.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Lysander wrote:

You, Lysander, are an ignorant Tw@t - no different from HRH Prince Harry

Lt Harry Wales, Household Cavalry served longer than 6 weeks in Helmand Province, Southern Afghanistan. He served as a JTAC (Joint Tactical Air Controller). This involved accompanying 'front line' (there actually is no such thing as a front line these days - we operate in a 3 block war environment which I do not expect you to understand) troops When they came into contact with the Taliban, if the situtation was so dire that the only way the troops could either extract themselves or win the firefight, it fell to Lt Wales to call in fast air support, namely, he had to, sometimes under fire, guide in fighter pilots to drop bombs (250/500/1000 lbs dependant on the target) on the enemy in order to defeat them. In most cases these air strikes take place at what we call 'danger close' range in other words you as friendly forces are right on the limit of the bombs explosive damage. If JTACs don't bring it in accurately, they, along with the other friendlies get whacked by their own bomb. Not a good day out and such 'blue on blues' have happened. Currently, Helmand Province is THE most dangerous place in the world for a British soldier (outside of certain pubs in the UK).

So, Prince Harry, DID NOT serve in a 'soft area' nor was he guarded by the SAS. That unit is so under manned that it physically cannot afford the manpower required for such a task, especially when the individual in question has received all the training required to do the job. Despite his racist remarks, which as a serving Army Officer myself I happen to think should NOT go unpunished (I'd get hung-out so why shouldn't he?), Prince Harry has arguably done more on behalf of this country than you have.
  • Lysander
    Hi GavH
    Thanks for the complement! How do you know what I've done?
    As my father was an officer in the Intelligence Corps I do have some knowledge of military matters.
    Do you really think the state would risk the 3rd in line to the throne being kidnapped by the Taliban?
    Anyone who enjoys dressing up as a member of the Africa Corps is questionable.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Lysander wrote:
    Hi GavH
    Thanks for the complement! How do you know what I've done?
    As my father was an officer in the Intelligence Corps I do have some knowledge of military matters.
    Do you really think the state would risk the 3rd in line to the throne being kidnapped by the Taliban?
    Anyone who enjoys dressing up as a member of the Africa Corps is questionable.

The very fact you feel the need to tell me what your father did tells me that you personally have done the square root of nothing. If your father was a good Int Corps officer he would have told you NOTHING of any interest due to the rather basic 'need to know' principle. No doubt you'll now feel the need to tell me you were first person into the Iranian Embassy pr something...
    As for whether or not the state would risk him, there in lies the sound reasoning behind why his deployment to Afghan was caveated as SECRET and why he was removed from theatre once the fact had been compromised.

I'll state again lest this thread end up off topic, I personally think his remarks were highly innapropriate for both a serving Army Officer and a member of the Royal family.
  • W5454
    W5454 Posts: 133
    Political correctness strikes again!
    What an over-reaction.
    Leave Prince Harry alone.
    God save the Queen.
  • Being called a Paki is one thing, but to be called a Paki by a fucking ginger!?
    That really takes the piss.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • Imbecile makes highly offensive remark. Total non-story.

Had it been his brother, his 'father' or his grandmother making such comments, then it'd be a shock.
    Bet his granddad is proud of him though.
  • Lysander
    GavH, as I said before how do you know what I've done? No I've never been in the armed forces but does that make me a lesser person?
    Of course my father told me nothing of a sensitive nature. But he did give me an insight into the way the army works.
    Any member of the royal family going into an unstable place like Afganistan would have their security under comnstant review.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I blame the parents....
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Lysander wrote:
    The sooner we get rid of the royal family and have an elected head of state the better. ...

and alleged racism is ended overnight by this measure because no one other than the Royal Family are allegedly racist?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Better not call Australians Aussies then. They might take offence and start beating us at cricket. Oh I forgot, they usually do!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Pakistani
    Scottish
    British
    Croatian
    Finnish
    Japanese
    Turkish
    Uzbekistani

I don't know what they are getting so wound for. Plenty of other nationalities shorten their nationality. I guess they just think they are special.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    GavH wrote:
    Lysander wrote:

You, Lysander, are an ignorant Tw@t

Yes, he wasn't guarded by the SAS, wasn't it the Gurkhas?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Lysander wrote:
    One of Fergies daughters spent the New Year in Goa. A security detail had to be assigned to her at guess who's expense. You don't think for a holiday jaunt like that they should pay their own way.

Bloody hell, They didn't make you pay for that all by yourself did they? No wonder your pis*ed off.
  • Pakistani
    Scottish
    British
    Croatian
    Finnish
    Japanese
    Turkish
    Uzbekistani

I don't know what they are getting so wound for. Plenty of other nationalities shorten their nationality. I guess they just think they are special.

Not sure if you're being wilfully obtuse here, but you seem to be ignoring the fact that 'Paki' was the insult of choice for a whole load of nasty racist b****rds (NF etc) from the 70s onwards. As a result it's picked up a lot of negative connotations and is still thought of as offensive by quite a lot of people (and not just 'they', some of 'us' think so too). Technically you are correct though, it is just a word, a shortening of 'Pakistani', and hopefully in ten or twenty years it will have lost those negative connotations. As a fun little exercise, you could go to Bradford city centre on a Saturday and see how many times you can shout 'Paki' before 'they' set about you. Repeat this in ten years time and we could see if the word has been reclaimed from the racists by then.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Lysander wrote:

Prince Harry may have a lot to learn, but Charles actually speaks a lot more sense than most politicians out there and actually has the conviction to follow through with his ideas. He gets my respect...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I read Johnson Beharry's autobiography.
    He was refered to as "Paki" by another one of his Warrior crewmembers.
    So not exactly an unknown and unused term in the military.
    A very minor story, exhumed by the gutter press, few people really care about it.
    As for dressing up as a Nazi, I've been to fancy dress parties in a German Uniform, so he didn't have to get it taylor made, did he?
    Would it have been better if he'd dressed as a Russian Commisar, or maybe Che Guevara?
    It is strange how some contactions of nationalities have acquired, shall we say undersirable, overtones?
    Uzbek, no problem.
    Brit? Hmm, depends on who says it.
    Jap? If it was say 1949, then that would be unlikely to be a term of endearment.
    Elected Head of State?
    Hmm, President Blair & First Lady Cherie anyone? :roll:
    Can't see many Yanks coming over just to see where they live and watch the "Changing of the Coppers" can you?
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I read Johnson Beharry's autobiography.
    He was refered to as "Paki" by another one of his Warrior crewmembers.
    So not exactly an unknown and unused term in the military.
    A very minor story, exhumed by the gutter press, few people really care about it.
    As for dressing up as a Nazi, I've been to fancy dress parties in a German Uniform, so he didn't have to get it taylor made, did he?
    Would it have been better if he'd dressed as a Russian Commisar, or maybe Che Guevara?
    It is strange how some contactions of nationalities have acquired, shall we say undersirable, overtones?
    Uzbek, no problem.
    Brit? Hmm, depends on who says it.
    Jap? If it was say 1949, then that would be unlikely to be a term of endearment.
    Elected Head of State?
    Hmm, President Blair & First Lady Cherie anyone? :roll:
    Can't see many Yanks coming over just to see where they live and watch the "Changing of the Coppers" can you?

Yes but Che Guevara wasn't responsible for genocide and attempted destruction of an entire race/religion. I think even for you or I to turn up to a fancy dress party dressed in a Nazi uniform may be a little controversial, for a young member of our Royal family, grandson of the head of state for a nation which lost millions in a war against Nazism, it's insensitivity and stupidity on a colossal scale!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.