Le grand cycle lane

2»

Comments

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Is there any proof that there has been an increase in accidents?

No because the executive summaries stated that the trials were not conducted in a suitable manner and any results should not be taken as read, but warning that there are potential disbenefits for cyclists and pedestrians.

Then Boris goes ahead and consults stakeholder groups, but leaves out pedestrian and cyclist groups, hmmm..

So he doesn't know what will happen, and neither has he stated how this new bigger trial will be monitored, which means it probably won't be, at least not as rigerously as the first trial (which wasn't conclusive either way).
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Nobody is suggesting that buses should be banned from bus lanes, and they're a lot more terrifying than a motorbike.

How so? Buses noramlly stay behind you. Motorbikes will be able to rush by you, in a constrained space.

By definition there will be more motorbike on cyclist action now that they are allowed in the lanes.
  • [/quote]
    I'm actually more nervous about 900cc motorbikes thinking a 300 yard stretch of bus lane is a good place to get up to 80mph and me being in the way when they realise it isn't...[/quote]

At least the bloke on a 900cc will likely have had adequate training to lessen any perceived risk to you the cyclist (have you seen the class A bike test ? and its getting harder soon !) I'm with LiT on this one - its the CBTers you need to watch out for.

The kid on a pizza bike has almost zero concept of his actions in relation to other vehicles
    - I know from experience having a domino's round the corner - and I have no fear mixing it with buses, cars, other bikers, jeez even minicabs if I'm feeling foolhardy :-) but a teenager on a 50cc ? no way - just asking for trouble.

Having not lived in That Lunnon for twenty years, I didn't know bikers weren't allowed in bus lanes like they always have (iirc) up here, but other than couriers with giant maps and food delivery devices I doubt sharing a designated lane with bikers is going to increase the risk to cyclists significantly.

I am aware this may not be a popular view but that's all it is, just a view :-)

Food Chain Eight
    Nine If A Beardy

But I Don't Race :-)

I have a silver bike with plastic bits and a bell !
  • jeez its late and my brain is full of mince -
    of course motorbikes aren't allowed in bus lanes -
    as soon as i clicked submit i remembered being pulled three years ago by strathclyde's finest for crossing 20 feet of bus lane that wasn't there the previous week

bugger - i'm sticking to only commenting on posts about pirates in future :shock:

Food Chain Eight
    Nine If A Beardy

But I Don't Race :-)

I have a silver bike with plastic bits and a bell !