Forgot to do something important this morning....grrrr

2»

Comments

• Hugh_P
    Hugh_P Posts: 12
    What a brilliant thread! I wish I'd come across this earlier in the year, it would have saved me over £100 in sportive entries! Next year I won't bother entering any. I'll just turn up on the day and cycle round enjoying the atmosphere and flapjack. I'm sure the organisers won't notice and it will have no effect on congestion, food supplies or paying participants enjoyment of the ride. If enough of us do it then they will effectively become free events! Even better! Thanks nasahapley, your brilliant idea will save me a mint and all the hassle of worrying about whether my entry has been accepted.
  • surely it is going to look a bit obvious when there are a few people starting without numbers on.... :shock:

unless they join the course after a couple of miles, dont stop at any of the fee stations, and then finish a couple of miles before the end... :roll:
  • RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Tut, Tut....no need to for that...I'm no saint....I just have my own set of values thats all...and they differ from yours....i'm not pointing fingers solely at you, I've seen many guys say the same thing....

after the accident in 2006 FWC with the non registered rider , Paul Loftus pleaded on the Forum (at the time the FWC had its own forum)...that all non registered riders would respect the event and stay away on the day.....thats good enough for me, and Ive spoken with many organisers who share these same feelings with there own events.

Fair enough, and I apologise for the condescending tone of my previous post; I thought you were having a pop at me without addressing me directly, but I was wrong there. And you know what, if an organiser specifically asks unregistered riders to stay away, then that may well be good enough for me too. However, I still find the idea of me being 'selfish' for accompanying my mate if I don't get an entry and he does a bit odd, as is it not a bit selfish to effectively say "We're doing the FWC, so on this Sunday in spring nobody else should ride on this 110 mile route on totally open public roads through the country's most popular national park"?

Booboo - always good to get an organiser's perspective. Regarding the prediction of how many riders will not show up, I agree it makes sense for an experienced organiser, but is it not a bit risky? Say experience tells you that of 1000 entered, only 900 will show up, so you dish out 1100 entries. What then happens if 1050 riders show up on the day - do you have to turn 50 away? I guess the question I'm asking is who exactly sets the limits on how many riders are allowed? We can at least wholeheartedly agree on one thing though - the behaviour of the bloke you mentioned who wasn't entered and got shirty at a feed station is indeed unforgivable (I can't believe he'd expect to be fed in the first place tbh).

Hugh P - ever heard of a straw man argument?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    nasahapley wrote:
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Tut, Tut....no need to for that...I'm no saint....I just have my own set of values thats all...and they differ from yours....i'm not pointing fingers solely at you, I've seen many guys say the same thing....

after the accident in 2006 FWC with the non registered rider , Paul Loftus pleaded on the Forum (at the time the FWC had its own forum)...that all non registered riders would respect the event and stay away on the day.....thats good enough for me, and Ive spoken with many organisers who share these same feelings with there own events.

Fair enough, and I apologise for the condescending tone of my previous post; I thought you were having a pop at me without addressing me directly, but I was wrong there. And you know what, if an organiser specifically asks unregistered riders to stay away, then that may well be good enough for me too. However, I still find the idea of me being 'selfish' for accompanying my mate if I don't get an entry and he does a bit odd, as is it not a bit selfish to effectively say "We're doing the FWC, so on this Sunday in spring nobody else should ride on this 110 mile route on totally open public roads through the country's most popular national park"?

Booboo - always good to get an organiser's perspective. Regarding the prediction of how many riders will not show up, I agree it makes sense for an experienced organiser, but is it not a bit risky? Say experience tells you that of 1000 entered, only 900 will show up, so you dish out 1100 entries. What then happens if 1050 riders show up on the day - do you have to turn 50 away? I guess the question I'm asking is who exactly sets the limits on how many riders are allowed? We can at least wholeheartedly agree on one thing though - the behaviour of the bloke you mentioned who wasn't entered and got shirty at a feed station is indeed unforgivable (I can't believe he'd expect to be fed in the first place tbh).

Hugh P - ever heard of a straw man argument?

Very nice reply indeed.....and I hope you do get an entry :D