Forgot to do something important this morning....grrrr

le_patron
le_patron Posts: 494
...despite a diary alert yesterday. Anyone else forget to sign up for the Fred Whitton earlier ?

It's so annoying, it's the only UK sportive I want to do and I've missed out again. My fault though, at least last year I managed to get an app form off, only to have it sent back to me.

If you get in and are then tempted to stop pedalling somewhere on Hardknott......think of me !!!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    le patron wrote:
    ...despite a diary alert yesterday. Anyone else forget to sign up for the Fred Whitton earlier ?

It's so annoying, it's the only UK sportive I want to do and I've missed out again. My fault though, at least last year I managed to get an app form off, only to have it sent back to me.

If you get in and are then tempted to stop pedalling somewhere on Hardknott......think of me !!!

Why you only wanting to do this sportive Le Patron? Theres many other class events which will pop your knee caps....try the DLMC or the insanely steep climbs of the Ryedale Rumble....

And if its Hardknot/Wrynose and nothing else then just sign up for Dave Llyds Cumbrian Killer in September...think that does Hardknott/Wrynose followed by the Struggle....

Shame.....I had hoped that the mythical passes of Wrynose/Hardknott combo would be tackled the opposite way on the CK...
  • le_patron
    I've done most of the others already, so it was only the FW beast that I had left really. I have ridden the Lakeland Loop which is most of the route.

Plus it fits in nicely from a timing perspective.
  • le_patron
    mmm notice Etape du Dales is full too, another favourite of mine.

Will be forced to go continental.

I don't know, back in the day (with my rosy tinted specs), when all this was fields and you didn't have a 2 second window to apply for places....
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Yeah I forgot as well, logged on at 9.40 am and it was too late. Got a friends entry last year but can't see that happening this year, and I've got the triple for it as well. Might think about cycling some of the route on holiday this year. Ho hum! :cry: :oops: :( :evil:
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Have you tried The Pendle Pedal? It doesn't have the reputation of some of the other events but it is very tough and it shows off some of Lancashire's finest scenery. It has been held three times and never been oversubscribed.

How tough is it? Put it this way, it's 100 miles and only 1 rider got under 6 hours last year! Here's the top four finishers' times:

Phil Ellison 05:43:04
    Thomas Canaway 06:06:48
    Dave Lloyd 06:06:48
    Matthew Green 06:06:52
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    +1 for Pendle Pedal.

Done it twice (revised start last year was an improvement on 2007).
    Very scenic.
    How tough ? I found it a bit tougher than the White Rose Challenge, considerably tougher than Spud Riley or Cumberland Challenge.
  • You better be quick with the best of the continentals too. Nove Colli is all but full (after registration opened on Jan 2) whereas 4 or 5 years ago you could leave it until just a couple of weeks before the event to sign up.

It's all the internet's fault! :lol:
  • Completely forgot too, but at least I rode it in '07. Too early in the season for my liking - that's my consolation reason anyway.
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    There was some discussion last year about the lack time to enter the Bealach Mor at Applecross.

At the time a few people suggested that say 80% of the slots go online and the rest go to a ballot/lottery for postal entries. Which as an idea I quite liked.

Having said that they upped their numbers by 100 (to 600) and there were spots available for 36-48hrs. I take it the FW is full to the brim?
  • le_patron
    FW is geschlossen, chiuso, fermé.

I've signed up for the Gran Fondo Giro d'Italia Dolimiti Stars a couple of days beforehand previously :shock:
  • That's a hidden gem compared to the over-subscribed Etape du Tour. If the Giro itself is nearby at the same time it's worth spending a week out there and riding out to watch a stage or two.
  • Anonymous
    BigG67 wrote:
    There was some discussion last year about the lack time to enter the Bealach Mor at Applecross.

At the time a few people suggested that say 80% of the slots go online and the rest go to a ballot/lottery for postal entries. Which as an idea I quite liked.

Having said that they upped their numbers by 100 (to 600) and there were spots available for 36-48hrs. I take it the FW is full to the brim?

Yeah, other than finding digs for large numbers I really cant see why the Bealach Mor has such a limited number?...if the likes of the FWC can take a 1000 riders over the very busy Lakes then surely the Bealach Mor could take 2000 around totally deserted and incredibly unpopulated areas?...theres no one up there!

Ive said it on another thread...theres many other sportives out there everybit as good as the big sellers?.....I think its a shame so many pursue the popular ones all the time....and will ultimately see some sportives diminishing.
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    What about the Dave Lloyd Cumbrian Killer later in the year? Much of the same roads I think? I'm going to do that if my entry for the Fred doesn't make it in time (sorry to rub it in, I stayed up and downloaded my entry! :D :roll: )
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you want a hilly sportive on quiet roads, cheap entries and great organisation try Tilff-Bastogne-Tilff on the 31st May: http://www.sport.be/lottocyclingtour/2009/fr/
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Why not just ride the route on the day? I presume it's signed so all you have to do is ride from near the start (rolling or bunch?) and then ride the route. OK, you won't use feed stations or get your photo taken or a medal but so what, the events full anyway. I did this last year when my partner rode the WRC and we had a good day out, she got paced up the hills and sat on my wheel - like having her own biatch/domestique :lol:
    M.Rushton
  • Anonymous
    mrushton wrote:
    Why not just ride the route on the day? I presume it's signed so all you have to do is ride from near the start (rolling or bunch?) and then ride the route. OK, you won't use feed stations or get your photo taken or a medal but so what, the events full anyway. I did this last year when my partner rode the WRC and we had a good day out, she got paced up the hills and sat on my wheel - like having her own biatch/domestique :lol:

Whilst there is no law to stop the above practice I think its completely out of order and shows no respect or regards for the event in General. If everyone just took the attitude mrushton takes then there could possibly be 2000-3000 riders on the route on the day....this could jeapordise any future editon of the event in question....especially if accidents occur with non registered riders(like what happened in 2007) ...having much higher than expected riders on the route could cause allsorts of problems for residents or other tourists.....The organisers have to be in total collaboration with all the required authorities....Police/Local Councils/Ambulance/Insurances etc...and for instance on the FWC then Paul Loftus would have given the maximum number (1000) to all these authorites and risk assessments and the rest would have been generated from those numbers.

There are 364 other days throughout the year...so why not do what I do at times....just get a team of good lads together and ride the thing on a different day...why ride it on the same day?.......and have a bit of consideration for the event and the organiser?....on the FWC in particular you are jeapordising great funds for the Macmillain Nurses and the Dave Rayner Fund :cry:
  • andy_wrx
    Agreed.

Yes, they're open public roads, there is nothing actually stopping you riding the route the same day.

But there's a 1000 limit on the FWC and that's a lot of cyclists out on those narrow Cumbrian roads, so if a load of other people just turned up and rode as well, it wouldn't be sensible and would potentially jeopardise the event.

Surely it's also wrong to use the event facilities without paying the entry - even if you don't use the foodstops, you'd still be using the signing arrows, marshals at junctions, etc. And if you crashed, you'd use the event first aid cover too.

(in fact, if you were a real cheapskate, you could do a whole season of events like this - don't enter any events, don't pay any entry fees, just turn up on the day and ride with the other riders, no-one would know... :evil:)

I guess, if you do as Ritchy suggests, get the route from the website and do the ride on another occasion, you are using the organiser's route without paying for it, but yeah, I've got no real problem with that

- but not on the day : please don't do the event unless you've entered the event.
  • Agreed with Andy & Rich.

I forgot about the entry :oops:

but although I may wish to do the route myself (or as part of a group) there is no way I would turn up on the day and ride it.....

You can still do the DL Cumbrian ride which does some / most of the hills.
  • Ooo eck, me and a mate have agreed that if one of us doesn't get in to the FWC we'll tag along anyway, didn't realise this would be such a contentious thing to do! I don't see the problem with it really, agree that if everyone that doesn't get in did this it would be a problem, but they don't, so it isn't. Fair enough the limit's 1000, but even last year with really good weather well over 100 riders didn't show up so I'm sure the Lake District roads will cope. And we won't be using signage either, as we know the route.

Shoot me down if you will, but I've no qualms about riding on the day without an entry, sorry!
  • andy_wrx
    nasahapley wrote:
    Ooo eck, me and a mate have agreed that if one of us doesn't get in to the FWC we'll tag along anyway

i.e. if one of you gets in but the other doesn't ?
    - that would be a grey area as far as my morals are concerned
    (same applies to mrushton, riding WRC with Blonde when she had a place, as per his post above)
    You shouldn't, but...

However, if both of you don't get in, certainly noo noo nooo.
  • Anonymous
    nasahapley wrote:
    Ooo eck, me and a mate have agreed that if one of us doesn't get in to the FWC we'll tag along anyway, didn't realise this would be such a contentious thing to do! I don't see the problem with it really, agree that if everyone that doesn't get in did this it would be a problem, but they don't, so it isn't. Fair enough the limit's 1000, but even last year with really good weather well over 100 riders didn't show up so I'm sure the Lake District roads will cope. And we won't be using signage either, as we know the route.

Shoot me down if you will, but I've no qualms about riding on the day without an entry, sorry!

I'll not shoot you down...there's no law stopping you...I just think its selfish and inconsiderate...and I hope lots of others don't think like you...
  • andy_wrx wrote:
    nasahapley wrote:
    Ooo eck, me and a mate have agreed that if one of us doesn't get in to the FWC we'll tag along anyway

i.e. if one of you gets in but the other doesn't ?
    - that would be a grey area as far as my morals are concerned
    (same applies to mrushton, riding WRC with Blonde when she had a place, as per his post above)
    You shouldn't, but...

However, if both of you don't get in, certainly noo noo nooo.

That's the plan, if we both don't get in then I don't think we'd bother, though I still don't see why this would be such a heinous thing to do. If 1000 riders (with or without entries) start the FWC this year I'll eat my hat. If it became clear that the number of riders without official entries was causing a real problem for a particular event, then I definitely wouldn't do it, but until then I can't see that a few extra presents a real problem. I dunno, maybe I'm just lacking in moral fibre!
  • Lads you could consider the Wickow 200 http://www.wicklow200.ie on 7 june.
    200 km Hilly, Well signed.Good Feedstops,2000 entry limit.
    Go neiri on bothar leat.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    If you really want to do the FWC ask on here closer to the event - because you have to sign up so far in advance there will always be people who can't make it for whatever reason - I reckon you'll be fine for getting a couple of entries that way.

I assume the organisers will swop entries over - but if they wont then I'd say that so long as someone has paid for the entry there is nothing wrong with you doing a swop between yourselves.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Anonymous
    If you really want to do the FWC ask on here closer to the event - because you have to sign up so far in advance there will always be people who can't make it for whatever reason - I reckon you'll be fine for getting a couple of entries that way.

I assume the organisers will swop entries over - but if they wont then I'd say that so long as someone has paid for the entry there is nothing wrong with you doing a swop between yourselves.

Agreed, not much wrong with that....if guys swap over identities then no extra numbers on the event...and at least the 'person' has paid the agreed amount.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I wouldnt ride if i hadnt got a place - there are limits on size for practical reasons - if they have dozens of people just turning up and riding -it could spoil it for everyone. Why not do it another day ?get a few of you together and maybe one of you will know the route anyway ?
  • Anonymous
    Yes, I've seen a few guys say 'just ride it anyway'....and they try to justify there actions by saying that they won't use any of the events facilities...but the stark reality is that they are only worried about there own enjoyment and care nothing for the actual event in question...its pure selfish behaviour.. in my books :roll: . You see that although the unregistered rider doesnt use the feeds or the timing hes still 'using' the whole event in general, using the 1000 registered riders to further there own enjoyment and make it a memorable day for themselves. Its the whole occasion that attracts these guys...

You know...on the FWC for instance the 1000 places dissapeared in in a few hours...now I reckon maybe a good few 1000 applied(after photo copies etc were made)
    So theres going to be 1000s dissappointed...imagine if a good few took the attitude 'im just going to ride it anyway'.....

If I were with a party of 10...and I was the only rider not to be successfull and the other 9 were entered then I would never even dream of just riding the event....I don't just think about my own enjoyment....I think about all the efforts that has went into developing the event, and I care about the future of the event aswell....
  • Richyboy, I take I'm one of the 'they' you refer to in your last post. Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not trying to justify myself to anyone. I see the point you're making, 'imagine if a good few took the attitude 'I'm just going to ride it anyway'', but the key word so far as I'm concerned is 'if'. I totally agree that if 1500 turned up to ride the FWC that would be a serious cause for concern, but as I said before I'll bet my bottom dollar that not even 900 riders show up on the day. If I thought for a second that by riding without an entry I'd jeopardise the future of the event then I wouldn't, but in reality it won't make a jot of difference to either the future of the event or anyone else's enjoyment of it. So if it makes you feel better to sit out a sportive when 1, 9 or 99 of your mates get entries but you don't then great, give yourself a big pat on the back. I don't think me accompanying my mate is a bad thing to do, but if it makes me selfish according to the book of St Richyboy then I'll just have to live with that.

Anyhow, here's hoping that I do get an entry...
  • Anonymous
    nasahapley wrote:
    , but if it makes me selfish according to the book of St Richyboy then I'll just have to live with that.

Tut, Tut....no need to for that...I'm no saint....I just have my own set of values thats all...and they differ from yours....i'm not pointing fingers solely at you, I've seen many guys say the same thing....

I firmly beleive what Ive said is 100% accurate...you do not....simple, we have different opinions...but I reckon the organisers of such events would agree with mine?....after the accident in 2006 FWC with the non registered rider , Paul Loftus pleaded on the Forum (at the time the FWC had its own forum)...that all non registered riders would respect the event and stay away on the day.....thats good enough for me, and Ive spoken with many organisers who share these same feelings with there own events.
  • Booboocp
    Booboocp Posts: 1,156
    As the organiser of the previous White Rose Classic and now the White Rose Challenge, I have a good idea about what % of riders turn up on the day. A clever organiser (if allowed to) will figure this into his planning, so the number riding on the day is the actual number of riders allowed.

Also I'll be offering some free entries to those who help out in my other charity event, the Relay for Life - and these riders will be additional to the allotted limit.

I have taken part in events and actually seen riders turning up at the feed stations and not being part of the event - in fact I was threatened with violence from one rider I took issue with. For me it is unforgivable and as it is so easy to arrange a group ride on any of the good sportive courses (let's be honest, if you advertised that you were doing a route recce ride on here a few weeks before an event you'd have no end of takers) I can see no reason why unregistered riders would turn up on the day of the event. As Lofty said about the guy in his event (FWC), the insurance/emergency service aspect alone can put the event at risk. Selfish behaviorism IMHO.
    <b>Event Website:</b> http://www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk