2009 Fred Whitton

2»

Comments

• Missed out! :(
    Stayed online till midnight too to print of the form too.
    Any advice for next year for those not in Lake District +
    any suggested alternatives?

thanks
  • Brian B wrote:
    nasahapley wrote:
    I'm in, as is my mate who I'm intending to ride with! Rather spookily, despite us posting our entries seperately and from hundreds of miles apart, we've got consecutive numbers...

I have a great idea. Sell your entry and and cycle it anyway with your mate. Nobody will mind :wink:

Outrageous! I'd never even think of doing such a thing - what sort of person do you think I am? :wink:
  • gulp!

I'm in.

I'll be the one on the red Raleigh tourer c. 1982.

Do people think I should take off the mudguards?
  • mozwyn69
    mozwyn69 Posts: 170
    I'm in as well, 4th year in a row. Not sure if hand delivered entries are any advantage as my entry left the 5.15 post from Swansea the evening before. I suspect all the following days mail goes in a box and its first 1000 hand picked.
    Sometimes you have to lose yourself
    before you can find anything.
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    moorjohn wrote:
    gulp!

I'm in.

I'll be the one on the red Raleigh tourer c. 1982.

Do people think I should take off the mudguards?

Yes and I would convert it to fixed gear for the little hills you may come across in this event :shock:
  • Yes and I would convert it to fixed gear for the little hills you may come across in this event

:lol:

I wouldn't want to cycle down the little hills in any of the gears in which I'd want to cycle up them...
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    That's easy - you just unclip from the pedals and stick your legs out of the way, like you did when you were a kid going down hills!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    why doesn't everyone who didn't get in ride it on the saturday?
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    moorjohn wrote:
    Yes and I would convert it to fixed gear for the little hills you may come across in this event

:lol:

I wouldn't want to cycle down the little hills in any of the gears in which I'd want to cycle up them...

Have you ever cycled down Hardknott ?
    It's frighteningly steep and tight in places, so coming down in a low gear with lots of 'engine braking' might not be that silly an idea !

I think I'l be fitting some new brake pads anyway...
  • timcla
    timcla Posts: 88
    I'm in :D 8h 52 last year but no walking. Will aim for under 8h this time. Let the training begin
    fitness is for life
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    I'm in, and look forward to to it
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    I'm in. Looking forward to it, but with a healthy dose of trepidation...
  • Amazing. I didn't realise that there were quite so many masochists who ride bikes. I had thought about entering for a month or two but had decided against it as i'm not particularly fit at present and would need a whole year to get to a stage where I would not just finish, but actually enjoy it also. At least i know that if i decide to have a crack, then the first hurdle is getting accepted.
    Enjoy the ride all those lucky folk who know that pain + pleasure = ecstacy.
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • Ken Night wrote:
    I'm in, and look forward to to it

Ken, I'm in as well, do you need somewhere to stay again? Simon
    The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
    Oscar Wilde
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    Cheers Simon, YGM
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway