Advice needed with my first heart rate monitor.

DanEvs
DanEvs Posts: 640
Hi guys,

Looking for advice with my first HRM and wondering if the Polar FT40 is any good?

Just after basic functions at the moment but I want to only buy once so a decent unit is required.

Thanks very much,

Dan.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I've just got a Garmin Forerunner 50, to replace a dodgy Polar CS100.

So far I'd recommend the Garmin.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    The problem with Polar is that you cant change the battery in most of the chest straps.
    So when it goes flat it will cost £30 for a replacement
  • lookup the halfords own one £30 quid loads of functions replaceable batterys mine has been great only one down side not coded. there is a reveiw on here some where.
  • Although this is an old post i've just got a FT40 so i thought i'd just clear up - this model of Polar you can change the battery on the cheat unit.

Its a decent monitor, basic functions are there without all the extra function which i wouldn't use, very clear screen and big buttons.... Much better than the £40 unit i had before.
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    I've just changed my polar c200 for a Blackburn Delphi 6. Have not had time to try the Blackburn yet so can't really comment but would certainly never buy another Polar.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    In slight defence of Polar... I have used the CS200 CAD for nearly 2 years and I have my moneys worth out of it..
    It is a bit tatty .. it have managed to bounce itself on the road a few times.. the bar clip isnt the best design

The Wearlink is crap ( bad comms).. so I use a older non replaceable strap in its place..

For its price.. I have seen one on a website for £75 ..for that price it is a bargain as the next leap up the food chain starts to get very expensive indeed.
    The training data is enough for me at the moment... the cadence is very useful for certain training.
    Being wireless is does mean a neat fitment to the bike but it does pay to set it up slowly but surely.
  • pots
    pots Posts: 109
    i have just bought a new cs100 to use on a turbo as well as on the road
    will i be able to use the timer functions with the heart rate on a turbo without using the cycling functions or do they need to work together ?
    thanks