FINALLY Chosen my new steed Planet X

13»

Comments

• I went to the pub so it’s a bit late.
    Here are the pics:

l_de731ba07e52454590b9f074e0bd3ef3.jpg

l_abcaa898859c4640b7a7e97b1b7c3d32.jpg

l_1294b0b917e2495a9e255b9bd31c407d.jpg

If the crown race is upside down this is the last build I’ll ever attempt.
    If not I suspect I’ve been given the wrong part?? :wink:
  • Sorry, I’m going to post this as a new thread in ‘Road Gear & Know-how’, to get a quicker response.
    I want to ride the bike ASAP!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Hi Dazza

It can't be upside down, looking at the disassembled picture, but the gap doesn't look quite right. Its an SL Pro Carbon? I just got mine out to have a look:

px.jpg

(the bike needs a clean after Sundays ride! :oops: )

So I have the gap too, and this one was built by Planet-X not me, so I presume it is meant to be that way. I suppose, without the gap there could be problems with grit grinding away, or even the fork crown rubbing on the headtube.

The gap is necessary IMHO
  • Thanks, you also answered my question about the extra 2 washers that came with the brakes!
    Only one per brake as I had already installed. :lol:
  • alfablue
    Did I? 8) Pleased to help - you should be ready to ride now :D Hope you enjoy the bike as much as I do mine!
  • Your pic shows the one washer between the fork and brake body. I was confident only one was necessary, but not certain as two per brake came in the package.
    Can't ride the bike yet as numpty me cut the rear brake cable too short when cutting the housing for the rear. I was supposed to pull the wire out before cutting.
    New Dura Ace cable has been ordered from wiggle £2.50.
    I'll post pics when the bike is tested and bar tape installed. I have white bar tape and ivory PR3 tyres. Why don't the PR3s come in brilliant white to match my frame; who has an ivory coloured bike?
    Will purchase a white saddle and carbon post when funds permit.

Question: Should the brake housing be visible from the front of the STI lever when pulled down?
    I installed the cable after attaching the lever to the bar. I first pushed the cable through the front of the shifter and then into the housing. I then shoved the housing into the back of the shifter as far as possible. Is there a more technical method required when the shifter isn’t attached to the bar or have I done the right thing. I can’t see the housing when the brake lever is fully down. Thanks
  • alfablue
    Your bike will be very bling! I guess brilliant white tyres would soon end up ivory anyway!

I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean...I don't think you should see the cable outer (if that's what you mean by housing), my pic shows just the inner cable.

brake.jpg