FINALLY Chosen my new steed Planet X

Comments

• am i the only person that thinks there is too many logos and web addresses on the bike.

can you take them off?
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    nope they are under the final coat
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    ducatiman wrote:
    am i the only person that thinks there is too many logos and web addresses on the bike.

can you take them off?

Nope I voiced the same concerns when I was looking to get my bike. See this thread - especially the tritalk link which shows some examples of just how bad things can get so you got to be thankful for something and also note Dave @ Planet X's comments :wink:

I ended up with the much more subtle branding of the Planet X Ti Sportive - love it to bits. They know how to make good stuff at brilliant prices.
  • NWLondener, could you tell me an approxiamate wieght of your planet x, as i could be looking at getting one
    thanks
    Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondener, could you tell me an approxiamate wieght of your planet x, as i could be looking at getting one
    thanks

around 7.7 Kilos/17lbs
  • hey! Doyler78, any chance of some pics of your Planet X sportive. Any other reason for this choise over the SL Carbon? How's the bike to ride? Comfy, smooth, fats etc etc?
  • stagger
    stagger Posts: 116
    doyler78 wrote:
    ducatiman wrote:
    am i the only person that thinks there is too many logos and web addresses on the bike.
    ended up with the much more subtle branding of the Planet X Ti Sportive - love it to bits. They know how to make good stuff at brilliant prices.

How you finding the sportive- thinking about one, have you done many miles on it? presumably its great? what size did you get and what's your height- how does it compare frame size/geometry to any other bikes you've had?

ta
  • doyler78
    Great bike and I love it. I have done about 2,500 miles on it. I've used it in all weather apart from frost which I don't do (too many injuries in the past to risk more). I'm 173cm and I got a medium frame. I've only ever ridden a flat bar Specialized Sirrus comp before which was 54cm and both fitted much the same so I was happy enough with it.

A couple of months after getting this I got a Scott CR1 Team (54cm) and this wasn't anything to do with not liking my Ti Sportive it was simply because I had been campaigning for several years to get the cycle to work scheme introduced into my organisation and I'd finally got there and realising that 09 bikes were likely to be lower specced and higher priced than there 08 equivalents I felt then was the best time to get a full carbon bike which had been another goal of mine. I just couldn't pass up the chance to get this bike when it was going cheap from Slane Cycles and with Cycle to Work discounts it was too good an opportunity to turn down.

So any comparisons will be with the Scott.

Firstly the both bikes weigh about the same because the Scott has a much lighter frame but heavier components (10 speed 105) than the Planet X (I upgraded to Dura Ace throughout with the exception of the chainset which I left as the standard FSA compact) and thus what I saved on one part I lost on the other with the net effect that both are actually very similar weight wise.

I should say I don't race or haven't done any sportives, etc and I haven't done any ride over 3 hours on either bike so you should bear that in mind.

Not really sure how to compare things as I've not got the experience others have so I will just talk about the things I noticed.

Handling - The Planet X is much more forgiving of my poor handling skills, particularly on descents, as it isn't as quick to respond to slight movements in the bars and the Scott is super quick so much so that I found myself heading for more ditches than my nerves could cope with. I understand that this is actually a good thing but my bike handling hasn't quite got there to appreciate this yet so I tend to be much more cautious on the Scott.

Acceleration - Both respond well to a bit of power through the cranks however the Scott does seem to be just that bit quicker at getting up to speed however both hold speed superbly once you get it up.

Climbing - The Scott is noticeably easier to climb on however I have been over my biggest climb that I have on my Planet X more times than I have on the Scott so I wouldn't say that it was a serious difference but noticeable definitely. If I stand the Scott just moves quicker whereas the Planet X takes a little more effort to get the jump and it is really only this where the big difference is. When riding up steady both are as good as eachother with no appreciable difference.

Comfort - The Planet X wins here however I don't find this suprising giving it is much less aggresive in its geometry. I've checked myself in the mirror on a turbo and I'm definitely more upright on the Planet X as compared to the Scott though not as much as I had imagined.

Maintenance - The Scott because of its carbon frame and paint job makes me panic much, much more. If anybody even looks at it I think they are going scratch it :shock: - obviously that is just silly but I do panic nonetheless. On the other hand the Ti Sportive because it has no paint job it makes it just a joy during this time of year because I can just get on with riding - come home wipe it down and it looks like new - apart from the cassette which looks like its had a black paint job :oops:

So I guess what I'm saying is that I think both bikes are great and they have their individual qualities and if I was looking to do a blast around or a hilly route which I wanted to put a lot of effort into I would immediately think Scott however for all other circumstances (longer rides, hillier rides which I don't plan on sticking the boot down on, commutes) I'll immediately think Planet X Ti.

I don't think there is ever one bike out there that will be the perfect bike that is perfect for all the riding you do however do I think it does the best of job for the type of riding that I do most of the time - mostly certainly it does and that's all I could ask for.

I hope that's of some use give my limited knowledge :oops:

I will put pics up at the weekend as I will want to give it a good clean down before I subject you to my photos and as I have a wet commute tomorrow on it it will not be looking its best.
  • stagger
    thanks for the info, hope to be able to report on one soon
  • doyler78
    stagger wrote:
    thanks for the info, hope to be able to report on one soon

If you do get it I hope you like it as much as I have :lol:
  • Thanks doyler78 that was really usefull, much appreciated. In the photos on the Planet x website it's not very clear how much that top tube slopes, what's your impression of it visually? Please don't forget the pics though, i think you always get a better impression from personal pics rather than staged ones from the marketing teams.
  • doyler78
    wyattlad wrote:
    Thanks doyler78 that was really usefull, much appreciated. In the photos on the Planet x website it's not very clear how much that top tube slopes, what's your impression of it visually? Please don't forget the pics though, i think you always get a better impression from personal pics rather than staged ones from the marketing teams.

It's not a big slope (but then what does a big slope look like). I could measure the difference at the seat tube between where a level tube would have finished and the drop down to where it actually finishes if that would helpful.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Love to see those pics doyler78, can't think of a better winter bike surely.
  • If you could measure it doyler that would be usefull, is it a slope you can notice visually?
  • New member here.
    I too have a Ti Sportive and I can't recommend it highly enough. Had it 8 months and commute to work daily on it come hell or high water, and longer rides at weekends. It's pretty indestructible, feels solid, climbs nicely and is certainly no slouch.
    It will make you smile....
  • stagger
    the_saint wrote:
    New member here.
    I too have a Ti Sportive and I can't recommend it highly enough. Had it 8 months and commute to work daily on it come hell or high water, and longer rides at weekends. It's pretty indestructible, feels solid, climbs nicely and is certainly no slouch.

Hi, what size are you riding/how tall etc? any comment on the sizing. Its a bit different, so keen to know what size people are riding, even just as a very rough initial guide ta
  • stagger wrote:
    the_saint wrote:
    New member here.

Hi, what size are you riding/how tall etc? any comment on the sizing. Its a bit different, so keen to know what size people are riding, even just as a very rough initial guide ta

I'm 5'10" and have a medium. If you can get to Doncaster, I would highly recommend going to the factory.
  • Pictures please the_saint
  • I have another numpty build question:

I've noticed that there's a 1mm gap where the fork meets the frame so that the bottom of the crown race is clearly visible. When I look at the website photos I can't see the gap, however the zoom and resolution on the website make it hard to tell.
    I've removed and replaced the fork and can't see anything wrong with the way I've assembled the FSA headset. The crown race looks properly installed and pushed down as far as possible.
    Is this gap normal with the FSA headset or have I done something wrong? :shock:

l_de731ba07e52454590b9f074e0bd3ef3.jpg
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    Glad i found this , i'm also interested in the sportive, but want to spec it campag veloce budget £ 1600, what worries me is the colour of the frame on the web , it doesn't look bright and shiny as other ti frames, get them photos up !
  • Come on doyler, the saint and nwlondoner, have you lost interest already, what happened to the pictures!
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    dazzawazza wrote:
    The crown race looks properly installed and pushed down as far as possible.

not to me, it doesn't...
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    softlad wrote:
    dazzawazza wrote:

not to me, it doesn't...

from that pic, I would say it is on upside down...
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    softlad wrote:
    softlad wrote:
    dazzawazza wrote:

not to me, it doesn't...

I Concur
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • wyattlad wrote:
    Come on doyler, the saint and nwlondoner, have you lost interest already, what happened to the pictures!

Hopefully later today.
    I wouldn't get too excited.....
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Would be nice to see any pics you have the_saint
  • DSC_2101&bgcolor=black
  • NWLondoner
    the_saint wrote:
    DSC_2101&bgcolor=black

I hate to say this but that is not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

It just looks odd, especially with those forks.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    NWLondoner wrote:
    the_saint wrote:
    DSC_2101&bgcolor=black

I hate to say this but that is not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

It just looks odd, especially with those forks.

agreed - what is that white saddle / bar tape combo doing on a brushed metal bike with black forks - sort it out!

I'm sure it rides great but it's a lot of money for a plain looking bike!
  • softlad wrote:
    softlad wrote:
    dazzawazza wrote:

not to me, it doesn't...

I'll remove the fork tonight after work so you guys can take a proper look.
    If it is upside down can I remove the crown race easily, or will I have to cut it off and order a new one?

The way it looked, the fork will sit even higher the other way around??
    Photo soon