Chain Gang - South Cheshire

lfcquin
lfcquin Posts: 470
Just thinking ahead to the coming season. Does anyone know of any chain gangs around South Cheshire kicking in late winter/early spring? Congleton would be ideal.

I am doing reasonable base mileage but I am thinking of trying some races for the first time in 18 years this coming season and need to work on my speed.

Comments

• lfcquin wrote:
    Just thinking ahead to the coming season. Does anyone know of any chain gangs around South Cheshire kicking in late winter/early spring? Congleton would be ideal.

I am doing reasonable base mileage but I am thinking of trying some races for the first time in 18 years this coming season and need to work on my speed.

Macc Wheelers run chaingangs on Mondays and Wednesdays during the winter and Mondays and Thursdays during the season. Start for both is Broken Cross car park. The Monday is the slower of the two and the one I would suggest starting with- the Thursday chaingang can get very fast indeed with elite riders and professionals joining in. Details on timings are on the website (think that it's 18.30 at the moment). Just turn up and join in - but even better if you decided to join the club :D
  • lfcquin
    Thanks for that. I will come and give it a go. I have been thinking about joining a club, so it might be a good introduction.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    +1 for the Wheelers!
  • Anonymous
    Here, 'ave a look at this from one of the Monday night rides...
    Unfortunately I only started recording a couple of minutes in to the ride.
    Oh, and I'm rather unfit and slow too...

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/invitation/email/accept.mb?senderPk.pkValue=192054&unitSystemPkValue=2&episodePk.pkValue=6252815

The 'Dashboard' has a few bits to play with, there are three laps.
  • lfcquin
    Hi Guys,

I have not had chance to get down for a ride yet (working in Manchester makes the start time challenging). I was looking on the Macc Wheelers website though and it suggests that the evening runs are for members only. Will I be welcome if I turn up, or will I be be met by frowns?
  • Anonymous
    Hey, this is road cycling, everyone is met by frowns!

Heh heh, maybe you should try e-mailing the run organiser through the website and check (IIRC the Monday night organiser is Moray McNee).

I'm a member BTW, the Monday night runs are good, I'm rubbish so I usually get dropped. Dread to think what the Weds/Thurs runs are like!
  • garetjax
    garetjax Posts: 175
    What sort of speeds are they doing Monday and Wednesday?
    Was thinking of going along myself as i live in Knutsford.
  • lfcquin
    NapoleonD wrote:

Heh heh, maybe you should try e-mailing the run organiser through the website and check (IIRC the Monday night organiser is Moray McNee).

I'm a member BTW, the Monday night runs are good, I'm rubbish so I usually get dropped. Dread to think what the Weds/Thurs runs are like!

Fair point on the frowns. I have done everything to avoid it! I must be the only cyclist in the country who rides on their own and has full mudguards and a rear mudguard flap! I'll drop Moray a note.

Maybe Garetjax and I can turn up at the same time, share the frowns around a bit. :)
  • lfcquin wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Fair point on the frowns. I have done everything to avoid it! I must be the only cyclist in the country who rides on their own and has full mudguards and a rear mudguard flap! I'll drop Moray a note.

Maybe Garetjax and I can turn up at the same time, share the frowns around a bit. :)

As I said in my OP start with the Monday ride. Don't worry about the frowns - it's all part of the roadie pyschology (like boxers outstaring each other at the weigh-in :wink: ) - and don't worry about not being a member. We are always on the lookout for new blood. Drop Moray a line and you'll be fine.
  • lfcquin
    Hi Guys,

I dropped an email through the Macc Wheelers website. Got an email back from John (Club Sec). Been told that training rides are restricted to club members however he will allow me to ride once.

Didn't exactly seem very welcoming, but I am thick skinned so will think about heading over either this coming Monday or the following week (work allowing). Let Moray know I am on the way. :wink:
  • Don't worry about it. Just turn up and introduce yourself to Moray.
  • garetjax
    garetjax Posts: 175
    ifcquin. Same here. I'll be sending off my form also. Perhaps see you on a Monday when the Ice Age is over...
  • lfcquin
    garetjax wrote:
    ifcquin. Same here. I'll be sending off my form also. Perhaps see you on a Monday when the Ice Age is over...

Yeah, I have not made it yet. The snow the last few weeks has put me off. I don't mind riding in any weather, but not having ridden in a group in a long time I would rather it was not snowing! Fingers crossed, I might get there this coming Monday, although there is a danger I might get caught in work...
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    Quite new to the road but what's a chain gang?
  • lfcquin
    Wappygixer wrote:

A chaingang is a term for a training ride. You get a bunch of cyclists together and they do what is known as "through & off" where each cyclist takes a quick turn on the front. If you have seen a team time trial in one of the major tours then the manner of a chaingang is pretty similar. The idea is to push the speed as high as possible in the group to get a highly effective speed workout.

They hurt like hell. :D
  • lfcquin wrote:
    Wappygixer wrote:

A chaingang is a term for a training ride. You get a bunch of cyclists together and they do what is known as "through & off" where each cyclist takes a quick turn on the front. If you have seen a team time trial in one of the major tours then the manner of a chaingang is pretty similar. The idea is to push the speed as high as possible in the group to get a highly effective speed workout.

They hurt like hell. :D

And look a little like a chain going round when they work properly. Also feel a bit like being in a penal chain gang when they get hard.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    what about weaver valley ? they're based right in the middle of cheshire so they're another possibility, I dunno about the nights they ride but they're a nice bunch

well I would say that, my brother rides with them - but I met some of the others when I did an mtb race recently....
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight