Steep climbs in Cheshire/Derbyshire

Wappygixer
Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
I live in the Stockport area but don't know it that well as I was brought up in Lincolnshire.
I love climbing the hills around here as the closest I got in Lincs was a railway bridge.

I've climbed up Snake pass from both ways, Holme mass from both ways, Cat & Fiddle and Winnats pass.
Can anyone recommend some more that I can use in my routes?

I've been told the road from Todmodon to Halifax has some good climbs,any recommended routes?

Comments

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    there's a few steep climbs on your doorstep!

werneth low rd [around 16%]
    cowlishaw rd up from compstall [20%]
    gorsey brow over near mottram [easy 30% on the hairpin!]
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • a_n_t
    or come out with us tomorrow [manchester wheelers], pretty sure we're doing a hilly 60 miles or so. :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • Wappygixer wrote:
    I live in the Stockport area but don't know it that well as I was brought up in Lincolnshire.
    I love climbing the hills around here as the closest I got in Lincs was a railway bridge.

I've climbed up Snake pass from both ways, Holme mass from both ways, Cat & Fiddle and Winnats pass.
    Can anyone recommend some more that I can use in my routes?

I've been told the road from Todmodon to Halifax has some good climbs,any recommended routes?

There are loads of steep climbs within easy reach of Stockport. As an alternative to the Cat and Fiddle try the road from Bosley to Buxton or from Leek to Buxton (although both suffer from motorbikes at the weekend). The road from Whalley Bridge to Buxton is a good steady climb (its not called long hill for nothing). At the top drop down into the Goyt Valley and you then have a choice of a very nice climb up to the Cat and Fiddle or a very steep climb to Windgather. Others you might consider are the climb from Edale to Rushup Edge (much nicer than Winnatts but almost as hard), Eccles Pike (on the back road between Whalley Bridge and Chapel), Pyms Chair (from Lamaload Reservoir just off the Cat and Fiddle to Windgather) or Standing Stones in Macclesfield Forest. The Cheshire Cat Sportive includes some tough hills including Mow Cop and Swiss Hill (the latter is cobbled). The above should keep you going for some time.
  • a_n_t
    thetrotter wrote:
    [At the top drop down into the Goyt Valley and you then have a choice of a very nice climb up to the Cat and Fiddle or a very steep climb to Windgather.

was lovely up there today!

goyt.jpg

:wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    Wow lots of areas I didn't know.

I'll have to start plotting them in my Garmin to find my way.
    I've been from the top of the Cat & Fiddle to Leek and back via Congleton to Stockport.

Thanks for all the recommendations and I'll try them all out in good time I hope.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'll be looking for lots of climbs when I'm back in Manchester. Need to improve my climbing performance by twice.
  • a_n_t
    there must be 100's of good climbs in the peaks! slowly working my way through them 8)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I might have to come along with the wheelers to find some sometime, if they'll be happy with me coming ofc.