Latex gloves.......

linsen
linsen Posts: 1,959
edited December 2008 in Commuting chat
Always Tyred wants to know if all you men out there could hold your head up high if you use latex gloves (or similar) when doing roadside repairs.........

I apparently am excused because "I am a lady" (or something)

Feel free to discuss :D

Ps Wording of the question copyright AT :wink:
Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome

Comments

• No, I make sure I get as much crud over my hands as possible so I can wave them at the boss as proof I really did have a p*ncture and didn't just hit the snooze button a few extra times....

Besides, doesn't everyone love the unique smell of that black tyre/rim residue on their hands all day? :P
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...yes to both...I use them when I remember to keep some on board...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    No, not for fixing a punc**re. I do use them for freeing / re-seating the chain though.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Don't use em for punctures, but keep a pair in me kit for those mucky drivetrain mishaps/emergency tracheotomy moments. Lets hope both never occur on the same ride.
    Trek XO1
    FCN4
  • The wording is ambiguous. It would be better if it more clearly indicated to the voter that using rubber gloves to fix a flat is really gay.
  • Konan
    Konan Posts: 43
    Always put a set on in the workshop before handling some much encrusted shopper bike with 26 x 1 3/8 wheels, 3 speed hub gears, woods valves and 25 years of thick grease on the chain.

Then promptly ripped them 5 seconds into the job.

Carry them with me out on the road? Never! That'swhat grass is for, a big clump is great for cleaning hands up.
  • linsen
    your wording!
    I am the copy and paste girl :D

Ps you calling me a lesbian?
  • Konan wrote:
    That'swhat grass is for, a big clump is great for cleaning hands up.
    Oh. I always thought that grass was for wiping your...........
  • linsen wrote:
    your wording!
    I am the copy and paste girl :D

Ps you calling me a lesbian?
    I know its my wording. Think of my delivery as though I was Jack Dee, only funny (Jack Dee not having said anything funny for a few years now).

The thought of you with latex gloves, and angry at me for making fun of you, is not good.
  • linsen
    I am not angry.

I am amused that latex gloves are enough to compromise one's sexuality....
  • linsen wrote:
    I am not angry.

I am amused that latex gloves are enough to compromise one's sexuality....
    Do a google search on latex gloves, or better still, latex. I'd advise against doing this on your lunch hour though.
  • linsen
    Lunch hour?
    You forget, I am having a lunch fortnight :D

PS - Mine are actually not latex, I think they are vinyl.....
  • linsen wrote:
    Lunch hour?
    You forget, I am having a lunch fortnight :D

PS - Mine are actually not latex, I think they are vinyl.....
    Mmm. Not ALL that much better.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    what's wrong with washing your hands?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Clever Pun wrote:

Well I don't carry soap with me and prefer to save my water for drinking... :D
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    I never use gloves on the road, if you know what you're doing you can change a tube without getting any crap on your hands.

I use them sometimes in the garage though, especially when doing drivetrain maintenance. I have eczema, so I try to avoid harsh soaps, so if my hands get covered in grease they're hard to get clean...
  • linsen
    whyamihere wrote:
    I never use gloves on the road, if you know what you're doing you can change a tube without getting any crap on your hands.

I use them sometimes in the garage though, especially when doing drivetrain maintenance. I have eczema, so I try to avoid harsh soaps, so if my hands get covered in grease they're hard to get clean...

surely depends on when you last cleaned the bike :oops:
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I tried using them a couple of times but found that I managed to rip them to shread,s so I gave up.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    linsen wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:

surely depends on when you last cleaned the bike :oops:

Those two are my big issues. I don't clean my bikes as often as i should, and i have dermatitis on my hands, which is aggravated by oil, grease, de-greasers and soap.

I've got a pair of thin but suprisingly tough polythene gloves (which my dad got from his old work) in my saddle pack, they scrunch down to almost nothing.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I tried using them a couple of times but found that I managed to rip them to shread,s so I gave up.

Damn those scaly hands eh? :lol:

At this point I feel obliged to point out that I don't use latex gloves for puncture repair but save them for messy jobs such as remounting my bro's chain after his umpteenth clipless fall!
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    I didn't vote; I use gloves for maintenance (grubby hands in health care isn't a good look), and besides I use nitrile gloves (latex allergy) :)
  • I dont wear the gloves, but really should as I have an amazing knack of getting very very dirty when doing anything on my bike (maybe the answer is to clean it more!)

Although I would be a bit worried about carrying them around and them falling out of my bag in the middle of the office :oops:
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • Clever Pun wrote:

Absolutely nothing - but there isn't a washbasin by the side of the road when you want one !
    Gloves stop me from spreading the black gunk onto my jacket, bars etc.

Have to say that Nitrile gloves are a better option than latex if you can find some.
    They're more robest & won't dissolve when using clain cleaner/solvents etc.

Aldi had some on offer last time I looked (part of their DIY special)

Mike
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Black lycra shorts and wipe when out on road but at home yes.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    Whoever posted this poll needs to brush up on their Boolean algebra. The only correct logical answer to an "either or" question is yes, unless both of the options are not true:
    Normal person: "Is it a boy or a girl?"
    Computer nerd: "Yes."
    Anyway, latex gloves are rubbish. Wear your blue nitrile proudly.
  • Black hands from cruddy wheels and chain (why is it always the back wheel that attracts the glass) and yellow jacket / the lovely white lining f my black gloves do not go. Besides, I always tend to get most of the crud under my fingernails and it is murder to get out even in the work shower.

As for using grass - I travel through Haringey, Hackney and Islington. I imagine if I touched any of the grass that I pass my hands would come out far dirtier and smellier :shock: :!:
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    I haven't thought to do so in the past, but certainly carry a couple of pairs with me now that the idea's been brought to my attention. They will be black non-powdered hypoallergenic ones if that makes any difference to their manliness or lack thereof.

Because that's what we use in the tattoo studio
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Konan wrote:
    That'swhat grass is for, a big clump is great for cleaning hands up.
    And how many dogs relieved themselves on that patch of grass earlier in the morning? :(
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    whyamihere wrote:

oh you so didn't say that... I challenge you to change a tube after a ride in my 'hood' if you can do it without covering yourself in shit yes cow shit then I will eat a sandwich you've made with those hands :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    blackworx wrote:
    Don't use em for punctures, but keep a pair in me kit for those mucky drivetrain mishaps/emergency tracheotomy moments. Lets hope both never occur on the same ride.
    At this point I feel obliged to point out that I don't use latex gloves for puncture repair but save them for messy jobs such as remounting my bro's chain after his umpteenth clipless fall!
    [Private Fraser] We're all ... doomed! [/Private Fraser]
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill