Cheshire Cat 2009

McBain_v1
McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
Anyone doing this one? I am going to sign up but am not sure if I ought to try the full-fat 102 miler or wimp out and go for the 66-mile sem-skimmed option. Will probably be riding my 531c steel beast with a 50/34 compact and 25/13 on the back (8-speed old school gears). Is this going to be adequate to get me up that rather alarming looking Mow Cop hill :?:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!

Comments

• sportbilly1976
    sportbilly1976 Posts: 524
    edited December 2008
    McBain,

I have signed up for the 66 mile option...the only reason is that following some comments on another Ches Cat thread, the only difference appears to be an extra 36 miles on the relative flat of West Cheshire before the hills start....

....and I want to approach Mow Cop with fresh legs. :D

..I have managed Swiss hill before so am comfortable with that...although if it is damp everyone will be walking up it anyhow :shock:
  • McBain_v1
    Got to agree that the semi-skimmed 66mile option is looking more attractive, especially as I only have three months to get fit enough to ride.

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've entered the big one. I did it last year - and MC was a beeyatch. I thought my heart may pop.

Didnt help much that I'd used my 23 block rather than the mountain climbing 27 sprocket block for some reason. I only noticed it when I was cleaning the bike after it. Damn.

Good fun. Plenty of time to get fit for the 100 miler.

(famous last words)
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    I reckon I'm going to enter the 102 miler. I'll have to invest in a 26 block, and possibly a compact for MC...
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    Anyone doing this one? I am going to sign up but am not sure if I ought to try the full-fat 102 miler or wimp out and go for the 66-mile sem-skimmed option. Will probably be riding my 531c steel beast with a 50/34 compact and 25/13 on the back (8-speed old school gears). Is this going to be adequate to get me up that rather alarming looking Mow Cop hill :?:

The 66 has still got 4850 ft approx of climbing (the 100's got 6000 ft approx) - re. Mow Cop, on fresh legs you'll probably be able to get up it - it's the hills much later on (on tired legs) that are going to stress us more.
  • McBain_v1
    Well, I went and applied for the 102 miler in a fit of machisimo and now I am quaking in my boots :cry: Oh well, I just hope that a 34/25 will be enough to get me up the hills. I have downloaded some turbo-trainer work outs and I reckon that 4 of those a week plus a long ride on Sunday ought to help get me in some kind of shape. Only downside is that I won't be riding with anyone else so it's going to be a bit of a solo slog - unless someone takes pity on me and lets me tag along for a bit. Hopefully there will be some friendly souls out there :D

• I've gone for the long one (seems rude not to!). Also a good excuse to upgrade to a 27 ring and get out and train.

I've never cycled in Chesire before - any hints on places to stay? I don't drive so will need somewhere not too far away from the start.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Anywhere in Knutsford would be best, or perhaps The Old Vicarage in Holmes Chapel.

I signed up for the 102miler, never ridden more than 70ish miles before but done Mow Cop a few times, it's not too bad.

:shock:
  • I'm In!

102 Miler and may use it to break in the New SL for the Etape. If the weather is bad it will be the TCR Advanced....

Either way, looking forward to it. Nothing like a cobbled climb to look forward to!
  • McBain_v1
    Based on gearing comments I might go for my Enigma which has a 39/27 and will hope that the lighter frame will compensate for the absence of a 34/27 like on my winter bike.

Still waiting for route details to become available. Is there going to be a route guide on the day or do I need to rush out and buy a Garmin 705 :?:

• I've already recognised my limits and signed up for the 62miler pretty much as soon as entries opened.

Bike wise, I only have triples, so on the day it will be a choice between my winter bike, mudguards,lights & racks, with a lowest gear of 30x28, or my nicer bike with a low of 20x25 (but several pounds lighter). Weather islikely to be the controlling factor, truly lousy will mean winter bike for wet weather comfort, anything better than lousy will mean the summer bike gets an outing.
  • Route details can be found on the kilotogo website...

http://www.kilotogo.com/page11.html

for the 102 mile route.
  • McBain_v1
    Looking at the route map I think that I am going to need an O.S. Land Ranger map to follow it (118 seems to cover most of the route). Some judicious use of a photocopier should get some manageable route-cards produced. The weather will be a factor but it is more likely to be the requirement to get up the hills. At least the Mow Cop hill comes relatively early on in the ride, but I bet there are a few nasty bits on the way back to Knutsford.

I'm desperately training on the turbo for now doing some truly lung-busting sessions. Need to develop some power to get me over those hills. According to Sheldon Brown's gear-inch calculator there is not too much of a difference between my 39/27 on my best bike and the 24/25 on my winter bike:

Winter bike highest gear (34x25): 36·7in
    Summer bike highest gear (39x27): 39·0in

I guess the real test will be out on the roads :oops:

Is it true that spectators stand along the Mow Cop section filming people falling off their bikes :?: :shock:

• copper585
    copper585 Posts: 141
    oh dear looks like i will end up on you tube!! i signed up for the 62 miler straight away, nver cycled this area so have no idea what to expect. gonna do lots of training up hills for next 12 weeks! and regardless of weather it will be the best bike,nice and light with a triple!
  • Anonymous
    It depends on the weather for me -
    Nice = Nice bike (V light)
    Nasty = Winter bike (Little bit heavier but with mudguards)
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Just signed up for the 102miles. I struggled to do 50 this afternoon so some sort of training might be in order :roll:
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    COPPER585 wrote:
    oh dear looks like i will end up on you tube!! i signed up for the 62 miler straight away, nver cycled this area so have no idea what to expect. gonna do lots of training up hills for next 12 weeks! and regardless of weather it will be the best bike,nice and light with a triple!
    Good god, it really is only 12 weeks away...
  • McBain_v1
    Yup - weather will be a big factor for me in bike choice. However, I am going to have to do some serious hill-climbing to try and shock my legs into getting into the right shape for this ball-buster of a ride. There is a 1in7 quite close to me, as well as a fairly long hill that varies between 1in10 and 1in7 as well so I will be going up and down these on a regular basis. Also going ot be going into the gym and doing some leg work as well to try and help, but if anything I think it is going to be my lungs that let me down :oops:

• I've entered the 67 mile route. My big worry is I've not been out on the bike since the start of November!!!!!

I've a Cyclocross race the first week in Feb, then the Mad March Hare to do too :shock:

Lots of work to do I think.......................
  • McBain_v1
    Are any of the Cycling Plus team going to be doing the ride :?:

• cougie
    If you can get to the gym - see if they have any spin classes - I'd say they were better for you than weight work. Real blast on the cardio system.

12 weeks is like a lifetime innit ? :shock:
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    I thought sportives were meant to be tough?

why does this one take the easier climbs through wincle and macclesfield forest?
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    a_n_t wrote:
    I thought sportives were meant to be tough?

why does this one take the easier climbs through wincle and macclesfield forest?

Answer : cos it ain't tough !

Mow Cop is massively over-hyped as a 'killer climb', particularly on cyclosport.co.uk, but really isn't that difficult at all.

This year they've added Wincle/Danebridge & Macc Forest, so it's a bit harder than last year, but really it should be viewed as a season-opener warm-up, a good event to get some early-season miles in, rather than exactly 'tough'.

On the other hand though, it's at the end of March when it has been known to snow, even in Cheshire.
    If it were a tough event up on the open moortops, there could be a lot of people hospitalised with hypothermia if the weather was bad.
  • cougie
    Mow Cop was a bit of a bugger last year - I thought my heart was about to pop. Its not long granted - but I think its the steepest climb I've ever ridden - at least on road.
  • Anonymous
    a_n_t and andyWRX

I'm sure there are many that would disagree with you!
  • a_n_t
    andy_wrx wrote:
    it's at the end of March when it has been known to snow, even in Cheshire.

true, didn't think of that. I did the harder climb through macc forest before christmas in the snow............just about made it!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • a_n_t
    NapoleonD wrote:
    a_n_t and andyWRX

I'm sure there are many that would disagree with you!

yeah, I guess we're just spoilt living so near the peaks where 20%+ climbs are easy to find and train on. So where's this hardknott bump I keep hearing about? :lol::lol:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    Are any of the Cycling Plus team going to be doing the ride :?:

Yes, I've signed up for 102 miles. I really need to start building the miles up again but I think it's too dangerous to go out while the roads are so icy. I can't believe how thick the ice is and there has been no gritting on some of the roads round here - I don't think I'd get as far as the end of my road before falling off.
    I just hope that a "proper" winter means we're going to get a "proper" summer with lots of hot sunny rides.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I should add that it would be lovely to meet some of you at the Cheshire Cat. I know there are quite a few of us on the forum who are from the North West and it would be great to do some rides together in 2009.
  • a_n_t wrote:
    So where's this hardknott bump I keep hearing about? :lol::lol:

It makes Gorsey Brow look like a speed bump! I usedto ride over it on my BMW 2-3 times per year.

I'll race you up it if you like :wink: