Are you riding on Christmas day?

SCR Pedro
SCR Pedro Posts: 912
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
Hey there,

So who's going out on Christmas day? There is an area of high pressure which is set to stay with us for the rest of the week, so there shouldn't be any rain/frost/arctic blasts to stand in the way of a good ride.

I hope to get 2-3 hours in. How about you?

Cheers
Pedro
Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
Giant TCR Alliance Zero
BMC teammachineSLR03
The Departed
Giant SCR2
Canyon Roadlite
Specialized Allez
Some other junk...

Comments

• Just a quick 90 mins!
  • been hammering it a bit latley while works a bit quite. will do a couple of hours tommorow, then have 3 days off to demolish a barrel of hepworth, then back on the road on saturday
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    I'm going to have a go on the dual carriageway :D
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    I'll be out there.
  • Will be going round Rutland Water in the morning
  • yes and playing golf
    and no, not at the same time
  • wiffachip wrote:
    yes and playing golf
    and no, not at the same time

If you did, would that be cyclingpolo????

Anyway, after the Xmas morning mayhem, a bit of (hopefully) fairly empty road is definitely in order - especially if its warmish. :D
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • I have to say, I think the empty roads thing isn't quite what we make it out to be.

Last year I noticed no decrease in traffic and almost got knocked down by some stupid old person. Shouting obscenities to motorists isn't very festive, is it?

Hopefully the back roads & country lanes will be deserted though.

Pedro
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    may go for a short ride, after spending the last 6 weeks with colds/flu and chest infection, so may do me some good, especially as there will be no frost or rain, sun (christmas present please) would be nice though.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    with any luck, xmas day will be the only day over the next couple of weeks that I will not be riding...
  • I'll be commuting to work, nights, Boxing day night as well :cry:

Takes about an hour.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited December 2008
    I'll be doing the same as I've done for the past 3 years, get up early and ride to a small village about an hour or so away. Then I know that upon my return, I can eat, drink and be merry without feeling guilty.
  • If I'm allowed, it would be lovely to go out for a few hours. I'm not a fan of Christmas so it doesn't bother me in the slightest, it's my partner and family.....maybe time for a 6am ride...mmmmm!
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Post Christmas dinner - probably a gentle pootle round Cotswold Water park - around 30k so maybe 2 hours + 8)
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Spent Christmas at Patterdale YH (or occasionally other Lakes YH) for many years and we had a regular ride round to Haweswater on Christmas Day. We often ate a picnic lunch perched in some handy bus shelter much to the amusement of more conventional revellers as the pub in Askham didn't like us eating our own food even though we bought plenty of drinks and they were fully booked for lunches.

Icy roads weren't a problem for either me or my wife - we usually took our trikes :)

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    If the weather is decent I'll be out. Have made it out for the last two years.

I've gone from loving Christmas as a kid, to being indifferent in my late teens/early twenties to pretty much hating the damn thing aged 25. Quite a turn around. :lol:

I'm now reduced to seeing it as too good an opportunity to miss of making the most of low traffic volumes on normally busy roads.
    How sad is that. :oops:
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    We have our main meal in the evening, so if the weather is half decent we hope to get a few miles in before going home to braise the guineafowl.

Of course, if it's p1551ng down we'll stay in bed. Either way it'll be fun! :wink:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If, as usually happens, I eat too many sprouts and too much stuffing, there's a good chance I'll be thrown out of the house mid-afternoon. Mind you, the dog will likely be coming too, so it will be a long walk rather than a ride.

Not so sure about the traffic thing either; the volume may be lower, but those cars you do encounter are usually hurtling from house to house in a desperate attempt to appease different family factions, or lurching home from the pub. What they are not doing is looking out for cyclists.
  • I am certainly hoping to.

The plan is to cycle out on Christmas Eve from Glasgow to my gf's folks place in the country (or Milnathort, Kinross to be specific). Once there, indulge in the standard pleasantries tomorrow evening, and then get up early on Christmas Day and enjoy the quiet roads in that area.

I am not familiar with that area and will have a scout on bikely later, but if anyone knows of any decent loops starting and ending in Milnathort, i'd be delighted for the information.

I only wish i had new kit on my bike to make it feel like a Christmas present, but sadly the new wheels didn't turn up on time and the new groupset remains in a box waiting to get fitted.

I fully expected to see a number of folk out on shiny new bicycles, and i will look on in envy.

Many thanks (and hopefully i'll see a few riders out and about).
  • boyfriday wrote:
    I am not familiar with that area and will have a scout on bikely later, but if anyone knows of any decent loops starting and ending in Milnathort, i'd be delighted for the information.

I thought somebody would never ask! This is my territory.

Check out these little beauties...

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Milnathort-loop-1
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Mi ... North-Back
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/To ... h-Glenfarg
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Bruto
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ki ... rg-Kinross (not for the faint hearted!)

You will notice that all routes pass through Glenfarg. That can get tiresome after a full season of doing it, but there really is a route for everyone.

Just how early are you planning on riding? I am just down the road, so if you want someone to ride with, I am planning on going out anyway. You can think about it and let me know.

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Not me.

2nd xmas in a row where i have gone down with Flu
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    No way, the missus will kill me. Anyhow, its our first xmas with our daughter (10 weeks) so im looking forward to it :)
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    No, but I will be going for a 10 mile (ish) run.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Not a chance.
  • Don't think I will be going out, I fear being the target of a drink driver at this time of the year so will avoid the roads Xeve Xday and boxing day. I don't know if drink driving has gone down any over the last few years but i'd rather not take any chances..........
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    25th is a normal day in sunny Bangkok and Mrs Hippo is working. Looking back, I think I've had more bad Christmasses than good ones! The only thing I had off my ex for many years was "I didn't know what to buy you so I didn't get you anything!" So I looked forward with dread to the holiday season.
    Mrs Hippo & I decided years ago not to buy each other gifts for birthdays and Christmas but if we see something that the other would like then any day is a good day for gift-giving!
    We do get into the spirit of Christmas when we are in the UK with the kids and the grandkids but with just the two of us in Bangkok, we don't bother.
    However, I think that I have been touched by the Christmas spirit ths year! I intend to do a 25km ride on Christmas Day but in my Santa wig and beard - it's too hot for the full Santa suit so it's going to be cycling shorts & a burgundy polo shirt
  • riding to the inlaws for lunch approx 10 miles, but will extend it to 20 , just enough to clear the xmas eve hangover and work up an appetite
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • Oh yes!!!
    Plan to fill in the gap between kids opening presents at 5am and church at 10am with a couple of hours on the bike followed by a warm bath and breakfast. :D
    "If you think you can, or if you think you can't, your right" Henry Ford
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    local 10 on boxing day, so will get in a race day spin for an hour lol
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/