The GT Zaskar

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    carbon1.jpg

Look at the state of that! Was a £1100 quid frame!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    that must be so annoying, there is no excuse when you buy something brand new by a good manufacturer and decent retailer,

hopefully they have reserved the other one for you.

apart form the shoddy work, how does it look?

btw, is that an integrated headset? or is it a zero stack or are they both the same thing.
  • supersonic
    Zero stack (internal!)

Frame looks lovely, but strange in places as the carbon fibre lay up obviously has random patterns in the clear coat places. Very light, 1200g on kitchen scales.

Yep, no excuse, surely when fitting the cups they could see that chunk of metal!

Yes, I hope they have reserved that last one or I shall be rather pissed off.
  • Anonymous
    deffo not good enough, do wiggle fit it or did gt fit it themselves?
  • supersonic
    Not sure, I sent a further email to wiggle asking about it and options. If they refund me, back to paypal, seems I am liable to pay the bloody fees which means I'll lose about 20 quid. Hope that is not the case with faulty goods, as they fecked up, not me.
  • bad quility for paying that much money
  • Anonymous
    i was refunded by wiggle using paypal before for a maverick seatpost and i didnt lose out as paypal dont charge you to recieve refunds.

they also refunded my postage costs.
  • supersonic
    Phew!

Lets hope they can sort it out. Won't slag them off yet hehe, here's to hoping for a speedy turnaround.
  • Anonymous
    well, i had a mare with my maverick, took them months of sending it off to manufacturers, then it being delivered back to me with bits missing.

was sorted in the end with a refund and it was the last time i dealt with wiggle.
  • manc1
    manc1 Posts: 24
    I remember i lad up the road from me had one when i was younger. It was a white with blue paint flicked on it. i used to dream of having one every time he rode past me on my raleigh activator! :oops:
    Will swap family and friends for a 1993 Klien Attitude.
  • Carlos13
    Carlos13 Posts: 152
    Hopefully if you mention the words "What Mountain Bike" and "Columnist" they should be able to find you another frame. :P

Nightmare though :cry:
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    On One Scandal single speed
    08 Specialized Tricross Singlecross
    Felt CA1
    70s Claud Butler Campag Gransport - Fixed conversion
    Various other junk
  • Anonymous
    Hope it goe's well for you gutted m8
  • I ordered one of those from Wiggle as well (large size). It's been delivered to my girlfriends house today so i'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's a good one. Bit worried though after seeing Sonics' pics.
    On the positive side, i've been ordering from Wiggle for years without any problems. So far!!

Phil
  • supersonic
    Let me know how you get on! Wiggle have yet to respond to any of my emails. Pull your finger out lads.
  • Anonymous
    dont panic just yet sonic, it took a cople of days to get responses from them when i have dealt with them too, seems a right ball ache that there is no fone number to get in comms with.
  • It's here!!!!
    I've had a few glasses of vino so i'll check it properly in the morning, but first impressions are ok. Carbon looks "different" as mentioned, but no obvious damage apart from a couple of very, very minor chips which i can live with.
    Can't wait to get it built up and rolling now. Oh, and a bit of warm weather wouldn't go amiss!
  • Anonymous
    pics, pics, pics!!

its a veritable zaskar fest at the mo eh?!
  • supersonic
    Jealous! Very jealous!
  • Anonymous
    your time iwll come sonic, but i know how hard it is to be patient with new stuff, hopefully wiggle will sort their lives out and get you your bike, you should definately drop into an email that you are a columnist with a well known mtb mag.................
  • supersonic
    I'll link them to this thread lol.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    What happened to Ringo? Did the plastic bike shatter and take him with it? :twisted:

Quite tempted by one of those frames myself, quite bizarre given I had an Avalanche frame back in 07 and flogged it within 6 months for being too short and feeling generally arse.

Anyone else bought or ridden one of these carbon beasts? How do they feel? The only review I've seen was the Singletrack Duvet Bikes review which seemed very positive.

If I did get it it'd be replacing my poor Stumpy frame, there's some quite light bits on that now (the pic is out of date), should make a nice light build.

PS I know this was an old thread, think of it as the Zaskar Thread Reissue :P
  • Soggz
    Soggz Posts: 221
    so...has anyone on here ever owned a Pantera, or I am the only one?...it was a cheap Zaskar wasnt it? Same frame material with cheaper components...
  • toasty
    Sadly not, I know what you mean though. A couple down from a Zaskar if I recall the aluminium range correctly:

Zaskar
    Avalanche
    Pantera
    Backwoods
    Arrowhead

Did I miss one? :?
  • tequesta
  • toasty
    Wasn't that steel?
  • ringo42
    ringo42 Posts: 21
    Ha, i'm still here, and no, it hasn't shattered yet. But then i haven't ridden it yet either!!
    It's still boxed up whilst i save my pennies and scour the shops for some bargains to hang on it.
    Noticed Wiggle have got a new lot in stock as well now, if you're after a bargain!
  • supersonic
    There were a few other alu ones depending on year - an Agressor, Tempest, Bravado, Ricochet, Psyclone - some being more hybridy things.

Avalanche basically a cheaper 7005 Asian made zaskar in the 90s.
  • toasty
    ringo42 wrote:
    Ha, i'm still here, and no, it hasn't shattered yet. But then i haven't ridden it yet either!!
    It's still boxed up whilst i save my pennies and scour the shops for some bargains to hang on it.
    Noticed Wiggle have got a new lot in stock as well now, if you're after a bargain!

Aww :( Seems to be a running theme with them. Such a shame, £600 for a beautiful carbon hardtail with a bit of heritage. I'm shocked everyone hasn't got one.
  • toasty
    Actually, could either of you with a Zaskar Carbon frame tell me what front mech the frame requires? I can't find it anywhere.

From the pics it looks like top swing, top pull, something like:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/m770-xt-dual-pull-front-derailleur-top-swing-multi-fit-ec008632
    ?

It states it requires a 34.9 so I'm assuming that rules out E-Type mechs.

Cheers!