The GT Zaskar

Muddy.Bail
Muddy.Bail Posts: 343
edited November 2009 in MTB general
I have read it in MBUK and in here in many forum posts, but what is the zaskar bussiness all about...?

Comments

• The rose tinted spectacles of a particuarly helpful moderator on this site! :lol:

Although I'm sure that doesn't stop it being a very good bike.
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lol. Classic hardtail frame that was borne in the early 90s - paved the way for the lightweight do it all hardcore hardtails we see today with at that time easy geometry and longer top tube tube with burly construction. Was used from XC to DH, winning World Cup events in both, plus wins 4X and trials. Most succesful frame ever.

Original reissue:

Zaskar-reissue-small.jpg
  • i would like a carbon XC zaskar
    Show me your green bits i might buy them !
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    supersonic wrote:
    Original reissue

What a strange concept :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • My mate had a GT Zaskar the ball burnished one with yellow decals, he was a few cables away from having it completed when his house was broken into and it vanished.

We saw a lad on it a few months later in a right state we knew it was his as it had the marinlite cantis from his bear valley se and a couple of other marin bits that wouldnt randomly have been on the same frame but we missed the lad in traffic and he jumped a level crossing as it was closing, we were gutted as the frame cost him about £900 or something silly like that back in the mid nineties that was a massive amount of money for a young lad to spend on a bike frame!
    "Don't ask the reasons why cos there arent any, don't follow convention, never say no, just believe in what you see and let the good times roll!"
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,098
    My second bike and the reason I have bought another hardtail :D
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    It was an awesome bike. About 15 years ago. Some people think it's still awesome.

Other things that people thought were awesome about 15 years ago: MC Hammer, SEGA Mega Drive, Golf MK2, Vanilla Ice, Reebok Pumps, Boy Bands, Tamagotchi, The Rachel Haircut, 386 PC computers.

Make up your own mind

:lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The mk 2 Golf is still awesome!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • joe1983
    joe1983 Posts: 440
    +1 for MC Hammer, SEGA Mega Drive, Golf MK2, Vanilla Ice, Reebok Pumps
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ive got a Zaskar and it's doing me fine compared to other Hardtails :)
    and its the only frame with the distintive triple triangle.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228

'Cept for the Avalanche :wink:
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • BlackSpur wrote:

'Cept for the Avalanche :wink:
    And the Backwoods.

My Dad's still using his :D

He's got that and an i-drive.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • Anonymous
    zaskar= same old nine pipes welded together as every other gt
  • supersonic
    Except multi butted, stronger and lighter.

Not the same at all.
  • supersonic
    shin0r wrote:
    It was an awesome bike. About 15 years ago. Some people think it's still awesome.

Other things that people thought were awesome about 15 years ago: MC Hammer, SEGA Mega Drive, Golf MK2, Vanilla Ice, Reebok Pumps, Boy Bands, Tamagotchi, The Rachel Haircut, 386 PC computers.

Make up your own mind

:lol:

Hehe, still going, look at the latest ones.

2.7 lbs and can take a 120mm fork???
    Next...
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Oh you fools.

You're hurting me now.

If you've never ridden a Zaskar you're view is unfounded, if you don't like hardtails then you're never going to understand, if you like pure riding pleasure, a fantastic design, even better heritage and a living legend then the Zaskar is king.

End of!
  • Anonymous
    so is the modern zaskar the same as the original?
  • supersonic
    The alu one is nigh on the same. Carbon one is, well, carbon.

As with most classics, they are tweaked. Pity the Stumpy never followed on, well, it did, as it lost.

And still does ;-)
  • Anonymous
    i doubt there is any bike which hasnt changed with modern trends, be it shape or geometry (or else we would all be riding super slack skinny pieces of crap from the 70's.......)

which stumpy do you mean?fsr or same old nine pipe one?
  • supersonic
    Harking back to the old hardtail duels of the early 90s lol.

I miss it really. Zaskars, Stumpies, Kleins and 'Dales in lightweight alu. Ah....
  • Anonymous
    twas all a long time before my time i think.

i did see the 25th aniversary re issue of the original stumpjumper though and lordy it was foul!!
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Oh those were the days.

In my opinion though, and without all the technical knowledge, Klein etc achieved this weight reduction by increasing tube diameters and reducing wall thickness, my only ride on a borrowed Klein was very dissapointing, GT however had a proven geometry/design that didn't rely on this, would be interested to know if this is true or just my interpretation of the situation.
  • shin0r
    It's still just a hardtail with maximum 120mm travel , what's the fuss?
  • Anonymous
    what he ^^ said..............
  • mmmm....I have a Zaskar LE (1996)and a Trek 8000 (2004). The Trek has more modern kit on it, longer travel forks and discs front and rear (the GT only has a front Disc).

The Zaskar is a much better bike. I'd say it's a bit heavier overall but it's a damn sight faster up or downhill. It sprints quicker too...

I use the Trek more often than not and the missus uses the LE, she gets a lot more attention than i do when she's on the Zaskar....although she has a massive pair of fun bags as well. :lol:
    <insert witty comment here>

Also, I have calculated my FCN as 12...although I have no idea what that actually means.
  • supersonic
    shin0r wrote:

Like saying all hardtails are the same - if that were true why aren't you riding an apollo?!

When launched there was nothing like it, and not for several years after either. New carbon ones are designed to be ridden hard - and just 2.7lbs!
  • shin0r
    supersonic wrote:
    shin0r wrote:

Like saying all hardtails are the same - if that were true why aren't you riding an apollo?!

When launched there was nothing like it, and not for several years after either. New carbon ones are designed to be ridden hard - and just 2.7lbs!

Even so it's just a medium travel hardtail, I don't understand what's so special about that.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Northwind wrote:
    The mk 2 Golf is still awesome!
    absolutley dam right, will still shame many a modern hot hatch! God do I miss mine! 7.2k redline through a stainless exhaust mmmmmm!!!
  • supersonic
    shin0r wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    shin0r wrote:

Even so it's just a medium travel hardtail, I don't understand what's so special about that.

Depends how you look at it. A Ferrari is just another fast car ;-)

When I can afford one I shall get one, as I love the geometry, is an amazing weight and will be run from 90-120mm of travel from XC to AM rides. Un;ess something else comes along that fits the bill. As yet, there isn't anything.