Commando, undies and cycling the commuters guide.

Comments

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    Jen J wrote:
    I commute in work clothes, but wouldn't ever wear anything under cycling shorts.

However I swim before work, and so wear just my swimsuit and trousers (and jacket if cold) for the bike to the gym, and have on occasion, forgotten to pack underwear. Forgotten knickers can be overcome, but a forgotten bra? Doesn't really work. Luckily my office is only a mile from home, can can pop back if necessary to collect any forgotten stuff...;)

Surely that's psychological more than anything else.

Women wouldn't have evolved the breasts (in the way that they are) if only to require a bra to support them.

Isn't the evolution in what men (and women) consider the "proper" appearance of said appendages to be? :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Jen J wrote:
    I commute in work clothes, but wouldn't ever wear anything under cycling shorts.

However I swim before work, and so wear just my swimsuit and trousers (and jacket if cold) for the bike to the gym, and have on occasion, forgotten to pack underwear. Forgotten knickers can be overcome, but a forgotten bra? Doesn't really work. Luckily my office is only a mile from home, can can pop back if necessary to collect any forgotten stuff...;)

Surely that's psychological more than anything else.

Women wouldn't have evolved the breasts (in the way that they are) if only to require a bra to support them.

Hmmmm. Observe the effect gravity has on said appendages if they are not properly supported throughout their life.

:shock:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    It's less to do with the supportive qualities - more the fact that it would look a little, ahem, *wrong*...
    and
    Isn't the evolution in what men (and women) consider the "proper" appearance of said appendages to be?
    and
    Hmmmm. Observe the effect gravity has on said appendages if they are not properly supported throughout their life.

The human body was never designed to be perfect at all times. I think its the slight physical flaws/differences that make a person look beautiful.

I have no issues with how said appendages look when unsupported. Supported and permenantly pert is a manufactured look created by over expectant men with warped views of how women should be. The bra (especially the push up bra) may be overlooked now, but back when it was new, it was the equivilent of a boob job.

Personally I think women look most beautiful when they go natural and not when they look like a marketing product.

I'm not saying don't wear a bra, ever, that's someone elses choice but seeing my girlfriend without a bra doesn't look wrong....

Back on topic...

Isn't a bra when cycling uncomfortable.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    It's less to do with the supportive qualities - more the fact that it would look a little, ahem, *wrong*...
    and
    Isn't the evolution in what men (and women) consider the "proper" appearance of said appendages to be?
    and

I have no issues with how they look unsupported. Supported and permenantly pert is a manufactured look created by over expectant men with warped views of how women should be. The bra (especially the push up bra) may be overlooked now, but back when it was new, it was the equivilent of a boob job.

Personally I think women look most beautiful when they go natural and not when they look like a marketing product.

I'm not saying don't wear a bra, ever, that's someone elses choice but seeing my girlfriend without a bra doesn't look wrong....

Back on topic...

not at all :lol: :oops: :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Let me elaborate - when I said *wrong*, I meant in an (in particluar my) office environment. And lthough I doubt it would be grounds for a warning - it would certainly be frowned upon by the MD, whose office I sit near.

I have intentionally gone bra-less on occasion, but never in the office.

(as an aside, a friend of mine recently forgot her work trousers after cycling to work in shorts, and spent the whole mornning sat behind her desk getting assistants to fetch everything for her, so that no-one would notice. Then sneaked out at lunch to buy a new pair of trousers and act as if nothing had happend. She would have got away with it if she hadn't forgotten to remove the label...)
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Jen J wrote:
    Let me elaborate - when I said *wrong*, I meant in an (in particluar my) office environment. And lthough I doubt it would be grounds for a warning - it would certainly be frowned upon by the MD, whose office I sit near.

Lordy. The things one learns on t'internet.

Wouldn't the fact that he noticed be some form of sexual harrassment? (thinks: were I to wander round with my willy sticking out, is it really sensible to complain that I was harrassed by someone noticing? Perhaps not)
    Jen J wrote:
    I have intentionally gone bra-less on occasion, but never in the office.

Oooh, you little minx. I always suspected as much...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    Greg66 wrote:
    were I to wander round with my willy sticking out, is it really sensible to complain that I was harrassed by someone noticing? Perhaps not)

Wouldn't people have to be able to see it to count as harassment?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jen J
    Greg66 wrote:
    Jen J wrote:

Wouldn't the fact that he noticed be some form of sexual harrassment?

He is actually a she :p

I work in the fragrance industry, and most of the people in the office are very fashion conscious - appearances are always noted. And although frankly I don't care what I look like at work, hence I stroll in in my bike shoes, hi vis jacket and trousers tucked into socks without a second thought, but given that I do not have the naturally perky little breasts of an 18 year old, there is a clear difference in appearence when I do not wear a bra.

And having already revealed far too much, I'll shut up now...:)
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • I have forgotten mine a few times and gone commando...note to anyone, never announce it to collegues lunchtime in the canteen, people look at you strangly for the rest of the day! :oops:

I do have a fear of getting work and finding out I have forgetten my trousers and my spares have dissapeared. and images of me walking around in shirt, tie and shorts :shock:
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

Back on topic...

Cycling without a bra would be far worse. Cycling with a normal as opposed to a sports bra is less than ideal.
  • Hey Jax
    Hey Jax Posts: 107
    sn't a bra when cycling uncomfortable.

Cycling without a bra would be far worse. Cycling with a normal as opposed to a sports bra is less than ideal.[/quote[/quote]

yes but don't you find it makes you more sweaty? i tend to wear a normal bra as its one less thing to have to change in the confines of the ladies loo into work gear!
  • Hey Jax wrote:
    DDD wrote:

Cycling without a bra would be far worse. Cycling with a normal as opposed to a sports bra is less than ideal.

yes but don't you find it makes you more sweaty? i tend to wear a normal bra as its one less thing to have to change in the confines of the ladies loo into work gear!

I don't actually, no. I don't appreciate the extra movement you get especially over speedbumps/uneven road without a sports bra.
  • Hey Jax
    Hey Jax Posts: 107
    Hey Jax wrote:
    DDD wrote:

I don't actually, no. I don't appreciate the extra movement you get especially over speedbumps/uneven road without a sports bra.

yes it can be quite painful...and all that chaffing.. is there a condition called cyclists-nipple? :lol:
  • itboffin
    Jen J wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Jen J wrote:

Wouldn't the fact that he noticed be some form of sexual harrassment?

He is actually a she :p

I work in the fragrance industry, and most of the people in the office are very fashion conscious - appearances are always noted. And although frankly I don't care what I look like at work, hence I stroll in in my bike shoes, hi vis jacket and trousers tucked into socks without a second thought, but given that I do not have the naturally perky little breasts of an 18 year old, there is a clear difference in appearance when I do not wear a bra.

And having already revealed far too much, I'll shut up now...:)

Trousers tucked into socks...! NOOOOOOOOOO :lol:
  • itboffin
    gert_lush wrote:
    I have forgotten mine a few times and gone commando...note to anyone, never announce it to collegues lunchtime in the canteen, people look at you strangly for the rest of the day! :oops:

I do have a fear of getting work and finding out I have forgetten my trousers and my spares have dissapeared. and images of me walking around in shirt, tie and shorts :shock:

Going commando is especially nice when wearing a custom made silk lined suit, ah! silky smooth. oops too much information :roll:
  • Jen J
    itboffin wrote:

It's worse - usually it's just one trouser leg tucked into a sock :oops: . I cba with ankle bands most of the time, and having ridden with the trouser leg loose once, I realised that it's a VERY BAD IDEA, especially on a fixie...
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • itboffin
    Jen J wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

It's worse - usually it's just one trouser leg tucked into a sock :oops: . I cba with ankle bands most of the time, and having ridden with the trouser leg loose once, I realised that it's a VERY BAD IDEA, especially on a fixie...

+1 on the trousers, I ripped a brand new pair of expensive levi jeans. I roll the right leg up now :wink:
  • DDD - I iron a shirt every morning and then roll it around my boxers and socks. That way you never forget (but I do have a spare pair of boxers and socks in my locker at work.

I've always warn my boxers under my shorts / leggings and bib tights simply because I haven't got enough not to. If I went commando I'd have to wash them every night and I'd then only be able to cycle every other day As my stock slowly increases I'll have to give it a go...

A queston for the gents. I've always preferred loose fitting boxers rather than briefs or speedo style pants. So I find the tights and bibs rather uncomfortable. Am I alone in finding it incredibly difficult when you have to hop off the bike at lights etc and then need to ... ahem.. make adjustments to your person. I fear being arrested :D
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • tried an experiment this morning and wore some boxers under my kit.....result, it felt a bit funny and everything was a bit 'hotter' than normal....will not be trying that again!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • gert_lush wrote:
    tried an experiment this morning and wore some boxers under my kit.....result, it felt a bit funny and everything was a bit 'hotter' than normal....will not be trying that again!

who was commando this morning then
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • gert_lush wrote:
    tried an experiment this morning and wore some boxers under my kit.....result, it felt a bit funny and everything was a bit 'hotter' than normal....will not be trying that again!

who was commando this morning then

If you are likely to have a woody on the beach, I wouldn't recommend going commando.
  • DonDaddyD
    Well I remembered my underwear today!!! :D
    Wouldn't the fact that he noticed be some form of sexual harrassment? (thinks: were I to wander round with my willy sticking out, is it really sensible to complain that I was harrassed by someone noticing? Perhaps not)

Women at work used to stare at my, ahem, lower region - which bought about this whole commando thread. I couldn't take it anymore (another one female staff member kept touching me - but that's a different story for a different thread). No one has the right to tell me to wear underwear (they didn't know that I wasn't) so the recommendation of baggier trousers (admittingly they were rather tight - I have a 33/34inch waist and thighs that will only fit 36inch waist jeans) was suggested then one woman giggled and ran away. 8) I couldn't possibly claim sexual harrassment - it was far too flattering and the women can't claim sexual harrassment, they shouldn't be looking there in the first place (one woman said she couldn't help it). 8)

Jeez, If I was a women the above would have resulted in a promotion, new office next to the person giving me a promotion and a pay rise.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • brixtonbiker66
    brixtonbiker66 Posts: 56
    edited June 2009
    I often forget my undies
  • itboffin
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Women at work used to stare at my, ahem, lower region - which bought about this whole commando thread. I couldn't take it anymore (another one female staff member kept touching me - but that's a different story for a different thread). No one has the right to tell me to wear underwear (they didn't know that I wasn't) so the recommendation of baggier trousers (admittingly they were rather tight - I have a 33/34inch waist and thighs that will only fit 36inch waist jeans) was suggested then one woman giggled and ran away. 8) I couldn't possibly claim sexual harrassment - it was far too flattering and the women can't claim sexual harrassment, they shouldn't be looking there in the first place (one woman said she couldn't help it). 8)

Jeez, If I was a women the above would have resulted in a promotion, new office next to the person giving me a promotion and a pay rise.

:lol::lol:

I'm assuming that you're wearing the cycling shorts at the time?

I've caught a female colleague staring during a meeting once and I was wearing jeans :shock:
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    was suggested then one woman giggled and ran away. 8)

Shame it doesnt happent like that. Would make sure I walk past CEO.
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I go commando on the bike and then put on boxers at work. I have forgotten a few times and gone commando at work too - no big deal!? Forgetting socks is worse as wearing work shoes without socks looks and feel swrong.

I just wear normal shorts to cycle but have been thinking about getting some cycling specific shorts recently. Since getting my road bike i have been getting some pain in the nether regions and think it might be down to the less than comfortable ride the crown jewels get these days. Brixton bus ravaged tarmac and my saddle don't mix. Are padded cycling shorts worth the £££? Yours, blue balls...
  • DonDaddyD
    IT Boffin wrote:
    I'm assuming that you're wearing the cycling shorts at the time?

No I was just wearing my work trousers, they were a little tight though...
    DDD - I iron a shirt every morning and then roll it around my boxers and socks. That way you never forget (but I do have a spare pair of boxers and socks in my locker at work.

I've always warn my boxers under my shorts / leggings and bib tights simply because I haven't got enough not to. If I went commando I'd have to wash them every night and I'd then only be able to cycle every other day As my stock slowly increases I'll have to give it a go...
    *Taboo subject warning*
    All cyclists wear their cycle clothing more than once. Its really unhygenic, which is why we don't talk about it.
    *Taboo subject warning*
    C-skinhead wrote:
    A queston for the gents. I've always preferred loose fitting boxers rather than briefs or speedo style pants. So I find the tights and bibs rather uncomfortable. Am I alone in finding it incredibly difficult when you have to hop off the bike at lights etc and then need to ... ahem.. make adjustments to your person. I fear being arrested :D

I wear tight fitting boxers because I like to be held in place as oppose to flapping around. So my lycra cycle shorts are actually quite pleasurable to wear actually.
    I just wear normal shorts to cycle but have been thinking about getting some cycling specific shorts recently. Since getting my road bike i have been getting some pain in the nether regions and think it might be down to the less than comfortable ride the crown jewels get these days. Brixton bus ravaged tarmac and my saddle don't mix. Are padded cycling shorts worth the £££? Yours, blue balls...

For the love of all that is holy put a cushion where you do your best pushing!

Seriously buy some padded cycle shorts!
    Food Chain number = 4

• Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    For the love of all that is holy put a cushion where you do your best pushing!

Seriously buy some padded cycle shorts!

:P Heh - fair enough, i shall place such a garmant on the xmas list.
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    By undies I mean, pants, bra's, socks, vests (underwear garments).

Ermm DonDaddy are you a bloke :shock:
  • DonDaddyD
    Harry B wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    By undies I mean, pants, bra's, socks, vests (underwear garments).

Ermm DonDaddy are you a bloke :shock:

Yes, I am a bloke. A very fat bloke with a condition that means my upper regions have to be held and supported as much as my lower regions...
    Food Chain number = 4