- Lakeland Loop
    - FWC
    - Etape du Dales
    - Dave LLoyd Mega
    - White Rose Challenge
    - White Rose Classic
    - Ryedale Rumble
    - Bealach na Ba
    - Cumbrian Killer- and the week following this out to KOM.com for some cycling round Bourg d'Oisans,
    I am old, slow and determined!!
    The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
    Oscar Wilde
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I have signed up for the following.

Hell of the Ashdown
    Surrey Rumble
    Cheshire Cat
    My Club Sportive
    Castle Ride
    Dragon Ride
    Anthony Maynard Sportive

Likely to do

Circuit of Kent
    Southdowns Challenge
    Exmoor Beast
  • BMCCbry
    BMCCbry Posts: 153
    So far I've signed up for:

Cotswold Spring Classic (a new one, I think?)
    Forest of Dean Spring Classic
    Gran Fondo Cymru
    Dragon Ride
    Circuit of the Cotswolds
    Etape

Bryony
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Just out of interest, why don't you guys do proper road racing? Much cheaper (no £50 entry fee), much better competition, and all round good crack. I'm genuinely interested in why Sportives generally get much bigger turn outs than Road Races.

consider the fact that some here may already have a 'racing' background and are now choosing another option.

I spent most of the 90s roadracing in southern England. Living in west Wales (and being 10 years older) presents a different set of challenges. TBH, 'competition' does not really interest me any more, but it is still nice to have targets to aim at..

Here's some of the 'lesser known' events I have entered - or will be entering..

Daffodil Classic - Pendine
    Preseli Angel - Newport, Pembs
    Tour of Pembrokeshire, Tenby
    Merlin ride - Carmarthen
  • I'm doing the

Cheshire Cat
    Grand Fondo Cymru
    Polka Dot
    DLMC
    Wild Wales
    Cumbrian Killer
    Autumn Epic

Chubby on a compact
  • I will mostly be doing.....

The Chiltern 100

Highclaire

Autumn Epic

And mayby a July/August event finances allowing, a five week trip to 'The Land of
    the Long White Cloud' has left a rather lage hole in the finances. :(

Good luck to all those riding this year :D

This weeks edition of 'The Comic' has further fanned the flames of all things Sportive!!

'We want the finest wines available to humanity............" :lol::lol:
  • LA
    LA Posts: 26
    I'm signed up for ..................

Tour of Flanders
    White Horse
    Forest of Dean
    Hampshire Hilly Hundred
    Etape du Dales
    La Marmotte

Also planning on doing.............

Highclere
    Anthony Maynard Sportive
    Life is not a rehearsal
  • Flambes
    Flambes Posts: 191
    Only two probably, unless they go well and I consider the Exmoor Beast.

Dartmoor Classic (100 miles)
    Devon Coast-coast. Not a popular one maybe, but a warm up for the Dartmoor one.

http://www.coast-coast.co.uk/
  • Am I the only one having a crack at thw Welsh Iron Mountain sportif on 20 Jun in Abergavenny? Is there somthing wrong with this event that I don't know about?
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    BeanPole wrote:
    Am I the only one having a crack at thw Welsh Iron Mountain sportif on 20 Jun in Abergavenny? Is there somthing wrong with this event that I don't know about?

Absolutely not, it's a great ride and a really well organised day-the town gets behind it
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • Ken Night wrote:
    BeanPole wrote:
    Am I the only one having a crack at thw Welsh Iron Mountain sportif on 20 Jun in Abergavenny? Is there somthing wrong with this event that I don't know about?

Absolutely not, it's a great ride and a really well organised day-the town gets behind it

Great - thanks I was getting it bit worried there as I chose it because I'm originally from that neck of the woods. Does anyone know how late I can leave it to entering the Tour of the Black Mountains in July?
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    I have entered:

1.White Horse
    2.Hampshire Hilly 100
    3. TOW x3
    4.Dragon Ride
    5.COTC
    6. Wantage Sunday Sportive
    7. Etape
  • I am riding:

Burgess Hill Springtime Classic
    Cheshire Cat
    Lakeland Loop
    Forest of Dean
    Midland Monster (volunteer)
    Bike Radar Donnington
    Dragon Ride
    WRC
    The Devil Ride
    Tour of the Balck Mountains
    Gran Fondo Cymru
    Wild Edric
    Bealach Mor
    Autumn Epic
    Exmoor Beast

Phew, tired out just typing them in!!
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • Dragon Ride
    Marmotte

plus many more hopefully, had to pull out of the tour of flanders though :evil:
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Well I've entered
    The Richmond 5 dales and I really fancy another crack at gold for The Rydale Rumble, I was a victim of, to fast a first 25 miles last year and the heat above Egton was awful, don't know how the Pros do those big hills in 35 degree heat.
    I'm toying with a 24 hour ride (250-300 miles) to coincide with the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride, but I'd need some company for that one.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I have been considering doing a sportif or two for a couple of years now

But 2009 won't be the year for the first one. I have entered London-Edinburgh-London again so I need to be in long distance mode for that.

All the interesting looking sportifs clash with audaxes that are part of my LEL build up.
    Also sportifs are shorter rides in general and so require a different (faster) style of riding
  • ...I think I know which ride most of us are not doing .... unless they slash the price down to a more reasonable £20...
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

Ride the Route Ankerdine Hill 2008

http://peterboroughbigband.webplus.net/index.html
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    vorsprung wrote:
    I have been considering doing a sportif or two for a couple of years now

But 2009 won't be the year for the first one. I have entered London-Edinburgh-London again so I need to be in long distance mode for that.

All the interesting looking sportifs clash with audaxes that are part of my LEL build up.
    Also sportifs are shorter rides in general and so require a different (faster) style of riding

I'm doing LEL also, but have 3 sportives booked, as well as several audaxes. Personally I think it's good to mix in some faster riding to try and push the fitness levels. I find that if I stick with slower (albeit longer) rides I plateau at a lower level.

a serious case of small cogs
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    I've entered the Welsh dragon ride in June and it'll be my first Sportive ride.
  • I've entered the Cotswold Spring Classic in April. Its near where I live and the only free weekend in the next few months. BUT I can't see much info on it. Their website just says info to follow, and having searched these forums, can't see any discussion on it. Does anyone know anything about this sportive? This will be my first sportive...or any bike event
  • Rhods
    Rhods Posts: 400
    Hi

I'm also thinking of doing the Cotswolds Spring Classic as my first Sportive. The website still says info to follow. Does anyone know any more about this?

Thanks
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Preseli Angel
    Tour of Pembrokeshire
  • I'm planning some rides around home, and I'll be starting at the back as I did last year so I'm not worried about getting overtaken all day. Third youngster about to arrive so training time may be limited so my goal is to finish and have fun.

Challenge du Dauphine
    La Vaujany
    La Marmotte
    BRA - like the Marmotte but it starts and finishes near Grenoble and doesn't climb the Alpe d'Huez.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com