RP Training Group Ride: Sat 6th / Sun 7th

Comments

• felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    phips wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    Wow, you must really like our rides then!

And with four hours of your company James, who wouldnt? :D
    Easy tiger! :shock:

Anyway, definitely wont be making it this weekend. Have a good ride - if the weather is like it is today you will enjoy it. Hope to catch up the weekend after...
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • felgen
    phips wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    Easy tiger! :shock:

Anyway, definitely wont be making it this weekend. Have a good ride - if the weather is like it is today you will enjoy it. Hope to catch up the weekend after...

;)

No worries. Weather does look good. Hope the race goes well too - and for you Rich!

I have no idea how it will go. I have a significant lack of base miles, though every day commuting could be regarded as a pair of 20 minute time trials for the past 5 months. I have done 3K+ miles since July, however I think I will just hide in the peloton eat jelly babies and just try to gain experience

p.s. was joking about the Jelly babies - its only half an hour race after all
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    phips wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    looking ahead to next weekend (i.e. 13-14 December) my brother in Law has managed to blag a bicycle to ride, and I assume there would be some takers for a ride then? Wont bother with a thread until this wekend is over though, or Rich beats me to it more likely.
    Yeah, let's wait for the thread, but I'm up for it (weather pending, as always :-)) I was going snowboarding, but I've sacked that now. A ride would be fab.

--Mark
    I'll be right on cue chaps, don't you worry! :lol::wink:

Gonna sack off my other ride plans for Sunday so count me in as a definite for this weekend 8)

Sweet Jesus am I nervous about tomorrow!! :shock: :? :lol:
  • felgen
    Don't worry it will be a laugh. I just wonder how much of a boost all the Olympicky stuff will give the turnout, and whether we will be racing in a field of a hundred. I guess only Lucy whatshername knows how many pre-registrants there have been, but there is on the day registration anyway.

Still if Rich is definitely coming out on Saturday, then he can tell you how we both fared. I have fitted my new tyres and been out for a little check to make sure everything is hunky-dory with the bike. It definitely rolls a lot better and quieter on these new tyres and they seem to grip better. I am also looking forward to it - not nervous, but thats cos I don't really expect great things of myself as I haven't trained hard enough.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    not nervous, but thats cos I don't really expect great things of myself as I haven't trained hard enough.
    And you think I have?! :wink::lol:
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Well I for one am envious.

Although I'd be rubbish I'd be keen on racing once I get my full fitness back but wouldn't want to race on my wilier as for mind its not quite responsive enough. I am however going home next easter and bringing back my compact Giant TCR Euro and that thing goes like the clappers so won't discount it maybe for summer.

http://www.bikeshed.com.au/pages/produc ... _euro.html

Is there a seniors tour? :lol:

Well back on topic, I've pulled the proverbial rabbit out of my hat and am a starter for tomorrow morning so looking forward to carving up some hills....or being carved, whichever the case may be.

Just got off the phone and Bernard is a starter but is still trying to shake off a cold so he's gonna see how he goes and may only do part of the ride.

So how many does that make:

Rich
    Phips
    Al
    Me
    Bernard

Have I missed anyone?

Look forward to it.

The long grazed legged one
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    Looks like I'm also a starter for tomorrow morning, so that makes 6.

Am I right in saying I saw a 8:45 start mentioned somewhere? mmmm, sleep...
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • Rich-Ti
    Myk-ee wrote:

Good stuff! And yes Myk-ee, 8:45 it is :D

Well I'm not too dead after that - was awesome fun and will tell all tomorrow, but I reckon James will be in the 3rd Cat races before too long if today was anything to go by! :shock: 8) :wink:
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Myk-ee wrote:

Good stuff! And yes Myk-ee, 8:45 it is :D

Well I'm not too dead after that - was awesome fun and will tell all tomorrow, but I reckon James will be in the 3rd Cat races before too long if today was anything to go by! :shock: 8) :wink:

Have fun tomorrow - I am afraid 20 miles is all I am going to get this weekend. As Rich says, racing today was great fun and I think I am going to have another go - if you are thinking about a race, then I really recommend it. As for my race, yes it went okay, but could have gone better - lets just say there were a few 'interesting' moments with people just not being used to the proximity of other riders. I will see about posting some pics up later, but I have no idea which thread they should go in - 'Race' I guess, but it seems that all that subforum exists for is to speculate about Lance Armstrong.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    Be sure to at least post a link to those pics James!

Not sure where either of us finished yet - just waiting for this page to be updated...
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Be sure to at least post a link to those pics James!

Not sure where either of us finished yet - just waiting for this page to be updated...

true... what did our 8 quid go on :?: ....
    ? only joking... hats off to the organisers I thought it was really well run.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen
    p.s. photos uploading now.... quite a lot of them thanks go to pit crew and senior camerawoman and dog wrangler Kerrie :D...
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen
    Rich giving it beans (on the left)
    P1010286.jpg
    James mincing about on the penultimate lap - made sure I was in clear shot of course! (in blue)
    P1010290.jpg
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    Hilarious! Look at the face on me!!
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:

Well at least you are trying and have a serious look! I seem to have this innate ability to seem like I am smirking when trying quite hard as in the photo. I remember it used to get me in a lot of trouble on the rugby pitch,but is quite a good psychological thing as it means I don't look like I am suffering, which of course I might well have been at this point.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen
    phips wrote:
    Rich-Ti wrote:

Looks like toilet straining, were you working hard? ;)
    Yeah maybe he was dropping one.. at least he had the courtesy to go to the side of the track..
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen
    ok so theres no real news there.. we all appreciate puerile humour. I bet we all appreciate the South Park movie too....
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    I was certainly crapping myself at times it has to be said!!
  • felgen
    God yeah me too at times.... especially when I was about 3-4 yards away from that big crash on the top turn.... Kerrie said they (all the spectators) heard it. Quite odd.. just watching it happen out of the corner of your eye and then just keep on pedalling.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    Yeah that was a few yards ahead of me. In fact all three crashes were in front of me, just glad only one of them held me up!

Apparently it's quite rare for there to be that many crashes in one race.
  • felgen
    But hey.. the bike and more importantly you are in one piece... I thought it was quite amusing that there was a leaflet showing how to get to to Hillindgon Hospital A&E at sign-on
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen
    anway... rest if pics at this link. Apologies for some to the blurriness, Kerrie was trying to control dog as well as having freezing hands!
    http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z219/doctorjames/hillingdon%206th%20december/
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    well done for getting round

if you can get a race in at redbridge winter series for the contrast in circuits
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • felgen
    well done for getting round

if you can get a race in at redbridge winter series for the contrast in circuits
    Interesting you mention it. Its a part of the world I know a little from several years ago, and the British Cycling website had a link to it along with the Hillingdon series. I am tempted to give it a try but given that there is racing at Hillingdon every weekend until February I am thinking I will just stay with that as it is so much easier to get to.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    Well 5 starters became 3 after 2 of us fell on the ice soon after entering the country lanes at Cobham - Wilf broke a bottle cage and my derailleur hanger bent! :roll:

I wanted to carry on as the bike was actually shifting ok, but the bend meant I'd lost a gear at the low end and at the top end the derailleur was touching the spokes - too much risk to munch my £500 wheels with one forgetful shift (the limit screw didn't limit it enough unfortunately!) so I opted to limp home!

Cheers to Myk-ee for towing me most of the way back - I wasn't sure of the route and was also probably more tired than I thought after yesterday despite feeling good when we set off :?

Thankfully tights and jacket are in one piece so no other expenses beyond the hanger, and no injury sustained other than a bruised ass! :lol:

Hope the rest of you got round the rest of the ride ok? :?