White saddle turned black by new bib tights.How to complain

Edwinsprint
Edwinsprint Posts: 66
edited December 2008 in The bottom bracket
Yep, my Specialized Toupe Ti (£80) white saddle has turned a grubby charcoal colour. Okay there are bound to be some who say 'it serves you right' but despite country lane commuting it always scrubs up nicely till now.

I recently bought the bair of new bib tights off an ebay shop and, as they had a faulty zip, they were a bargain for £12.

Unfortunately I cannot get the black dye off and my saddle looks a decade old.

I have just informed the shop of the problem and wanted to see how they might offer to resolve it.

What do you think is reasonable for me to ask for? I dont want to get arsie as they might be on a shoestring too at the moment but I was thinking.

-1) Ask them for the value of the saddle in their goods

-2) Seek compensation for a new saddle

-3) Just complain to ebay and warn as many people off them as possible.

The saddle is less than a year old.

Your help please

Edwin

Comments

• Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    How is that their fault?
  • How is that their fault- crappy goods, I thought that was obvious.

I have had several new pairs of shorts and bibs (from different manufacturers) and only these have done that.

I have never needed to wash them previously and they do not state you have to. They have been washed several times and they just keep on making the saddle darker.

Lets just think, if every time you sat on your car seat your non-black trousers got a black stain you might be a bit annoyed. I know its not entirely the same as that but you just dont expect supposedly, hardy winter clothes to dye things.

Fortunately I have recieved some USEFUL advice and am off to get some Pearl Drops toothpaste.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    So your blaming the saddle manufacturer for the fact that your cheap bib tights leached dye into the saddle?

Good luck with that. :roll:
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    edited November 2008
    He's blaming the bib tights i think you'll find, anyway still don't think you'll have a leg to stand on, good luck though, let us know how you get on :)
  • send them a stiff letter- on a piece of cardboard :lol:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Actyually i think he is going ot complain to the vendor of the tights - which seems right. The post isn't clear however as I though he was going to complain to the LBS (vendor of the saddle) on first reading!

Sale of goods act - "fit for purpose" worth a look for a refund on teh price of the tights. Not sure how you would get compensation for the saddle though.
  • This has made me chuckle....Complain to the saddle manufacturer- I'm sorry but even the QC of the year wouldn't have a leg to stand on in that respect. Now that would be a challenge!!!

I'm going to try Pearl Drops toothpaste. If that fails, hope for some cheap goods. Essentially I can just complain to E-Bay but dont really want to. But if someone sold you some boots which permanently discoloured some pairs of expensive trousers, you would want to have a few words.

The saddle looks as if its been spray-painted- very weird. Doing 150 mile commute a week I am not precious about keeping it all spotless but this really takes the piss.

I dont want anyone else to have it happen to them and their precious Toupe.

Anyway please let us know if you have any suggestions for cleaning the dye off.
  • try a drop of bleach on an area- it shouldnt harm plazzy
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I don't see any way you can keep a white saddle looking new except by not using it.
    Get a black saddle and be done with it or come to the realization that white shows
    dirt and grime very well, clean it as best you can, and ride the thing. Or you could try white shorts. Now there's a look that I'd like to see :roll: :roll: .

Dennis Noward
  • yes white shorts would look great wet!

NOT! :lol:
  • Red Rock
    Red Rock Posts: 517
    My Specialized mitts turned the white bar tape black :( I found that the dye came out when scrubbed with some Swarfega Orange on a clean cloth :D It may work on your saddle.

Red Rock
  • Dennis

I'm not complaining about it being dirty or smudged. I could have put money on the fact someone would have said 'get a black saddle'.

I think you need to read what I've written previously. In fact get a friend to explain it to you. Like the bit 'I am not precious about keeping it all spotless'.

Red Rock I will try that thanks.
  • Dennis by the number of posts you have made I think you are probably the expert in not using a saddle. Get out and ride mate. let off some steam.
  • Mmmmm - that old saying 'you get what you pay for' springs to mind
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Don't bash Dennis, we don't want to scare him off. I always appreciate his eccentric posts - Bikeradar wouldn't be the same without him.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • W5454
    W5454 Posts: 133
    A white saddle!
    Are you gay?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Don't bash Dennis, we don't want to scare him off. I always appreciate his eccentric posts - Bikeradar wouldn't be the same without him.

That was weird. I was only saying that no one can keep a white saddle white.
    Oh well, maybe it's just my, well deserved, bad reputation. Wonder if he will say anything about the guy who basically called him gay?? Or does gay have multiple meanings over there??

Dennis Noward
  • dennisn wrote:
    "Or does gay have multiple meanings over there??

Happy :?: :lol:
  • W5454 wrote:
    A white saddle!
    Are you gay?

You vile homophobe! Casting aspersions on a person's sexuality because of their kit, it ain't on. Now, if these pearl drops work on a white saddle, will they work on white stilettos? Mine are a bit mucky after wearing them out at the weekend.
  • W5454
    nasahapley wrote:
    W5454 wrote:
    A white saddle!
    Are you gay?

You vile homophobe! Casting aspersions on a person's sexuality because of their kit, it ain't on. Now, if these pearl drops work on a white saddle, will they work on white stilettos? Mine are a bit mucky after wearing them out at the weekend.
    Effing hilarious - I nearly choked on my chip butty when I read that :lol:
  • 'Are you gay?'

The sheer brilliance of it- it genuinely did make me chuckle. A white saddle=gay. Says someone who presumably wears lycra and possibly shaves their legs.

It is funny mainly because it feeds into another stereotype of a thick, uncultured, uncosmopolitan, brash, homophobe whose ignorance is so overwhelming that when or if a synapse or two does manage to fire up then straightforward denial is the only way forward for him.

A quick view of W5454's posts will show how low this poster goes. Are you sure you're over 18?

I'm signing off from this post. Seems any useful advice is thin on the ground. Normall I find Bikeradar really helpful.
  • W5454
    Awwww diddums,go suck your dummy and get yourself a sense of humour. :twisted:
  • W5454 wrote:
    Awwww diddums,go suck your dummy and get yourself a sense of humour. :twisted:

+1, pull your head out of your ar$e

Maybe he's posted so much because he's trying to help, like you are looking for help?!?!?

How did it go by the way :?:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Bunch of poofs ! :shock:

.... if you will buy lycra off ebay though.
  • Bunch of poofs ! :shock:

.... if you will buy lycra off ebay though.

:lol: You wont get us that easily, at least put some effort in :)
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Living in Toledo I wouldn't have thought you'd spend much time sitting down - mostly sprinting from unsavoury characters.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • ronstrutt
    ronstrutt Posts: 3,170
    Sounds like the gloves you get from Halfords! Don't wear them in the rain, it takes days to get the dye off your hands. :oops:

Which leads me to ask, was it only the saddle that was affected by the dye?
  • I don't understand.

How did his tights stain his wig?
  • Edit :that was bitchy actually, sorry :oops: