Learning to play a guitar!

hopper1
hopper1 Posts: 4,389
edited January 2009 in The bottom bracket
Hey, guys, I need some knowledgeable input from the forum, again!
For years I have wanted to learn to play the guitar, finally, I'm going to do it.
Problem....I haven't got a clue what to buy!
I'd like to buy an electric guitar, but is the wisest way to go? Or should I be looking at accoustic or electro/ accoustic?
I don't have a budget as such, but don't want to spend an absolute fortune at this point.
I'd like to buy something that will be good enough to keep forever (so to speak), without having to be replaced in a year because I've advanced.
So, which model/ maker would you guys recommend?
I guess if it's electric, you'll recommend an amp, too! :wink:
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!

Comments

• I'd go for one of the Fender Strat packs -cheap as chips and contains everything you need to get started -something like this -but you can find 'em in most guitar shops.

Enjoy![/url]
  • similar to bikes its best to try and see what suits you and for what style you would like to play. I started with a cheap starter guitar with amp, this was good to get me playing but i soon wanted something better. i would look at squires and epiphones for reliable guitars for starting out on. i have a squire strat which i really like however they dont make them like they used to and you would be best looking about a bit on line maybe and try to find an older one. for amps try out some 10-15watt ones and see what you like, the fender g-deck junior is good for learning as it has built in effects and backing tracks. good luck, hope that helps
  • First question is what kind of music do you want to play?

Rock / Folk / Pop / Indie / etc etc ...

Once you have decided what you want to play, then you can look for the right type of guitar. Then you have the decision as to how much you want to spend.

I would recommend you start with a reasonably good quality instrument to enable you to learn. You do not need to go out & buy the best money can buy in case you decide it is not for you after all (it would be like buying a Ferrari to learn to drive!).

Once you progress, you will definitely want to upgrade as you establish your style & therefore want to buy the best instrument to suit you.

Ideally find someone you trust who knows what they are talking about who can give you advice & help you make your selection. Most music shops will let you try before you buy.

Good luck!

dessertwarrior
    Ride On ...
  • Hey there,

The Squier guitars are excellent value for money, but before long you'd be looking to upgrade. The Fender Made in Mexico series is also great value for money (and in my opinion better value than the more expensive Made in USA series).

Go to a guitar shop and try out a whole bunch of guitars. Pay attention to how it feels when you play it. Don't overlook the Epiphone (budget Gibson) range, as they are also very good.

It took me a while to find 'my' guitar, but now I am a Telecaster man, through-and-through. I have a 1952 Japanese re-issue and a Mexican series. Love 'em both, as they suit my Americana style of music.

Oh, I almost forgot. The Yamaha Pacifica 112 is insanely good value for money, and plays way above its budget image. I also have one of those, but with heavy guage strings for when I want to get Grungy.

Guitars. They're like bikes in many ways.

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • hopper1
    Hi guys, and thanks very much for your advice, so far.
    I guess I would like to play Rock (60's, 70's & 80's stuff), Indie and R & B music, if that helps to choose a guitar ( I guess it does).
    Unfortunately, I don't know anyone into guitars, so getting advice from trusted friends is a no no.
    As I said, I don't have a budget, but will pay a reasonable price for the right instrument.
    I'm not too sure about going into a shop to try something I can't play. That strikes me like going to test ride a GSX-R1000, before you've had lessons! :shock:
    Thanks again.
  • I'd go for a Tokai or Edwards. Riichtone music on ebay has a good choice of tokai guitars. I've owned some epiphone les paul copies before - not great - quite muddy sounding guitars.

This is a Les Paul jnr copy - nice and basic - raw sounding!
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-TJ78-Les-Pa ... m153.l1262

Tokai Loverock guitars are based on the Gibson Les Paul models - good for meaty rock sounds.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-LS48-Electr ... 240%3A1318

Les Paul 335 copy - great for blues:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-ES130-Elect ... m153.l1262

Fender telecaster - for a brighter sound - but still good for rocking out.

It would be a good idea to get down to a local music shop and try some guitars out - plugged straight into an amp - no effects. Then let your ears decide what you like the sound of best.

You want to look for the strings being close to the fretboard - referred to as the "action". BUT not so close that you get a buzzing sound when you press the string onto the fretboard.

Go for something that feels comfortable - the cosmetics may or not be important to you - I'd rather have an ugly guitar with a good tone, than a cosmetically lustrous guitar that sounds like a plank of wood.

You'll also get more for your money if you buy 2nd hand, but be careful.

I wouldn't spend too much - make sure you have a passion for the guitar first!

I currently own 10 guitars - my wife won't let me buy anymore!
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    www.musicradar.com :wink:

Loads of seasoned musos on there who will give you great advice, plus loads of online reviews :)
  • IMHO
    Forget the teach urself cr@p, find a good teacher i was learning /forced to learn an i think it was 30 quid for 2 hours but he was damn good, despite me not being a fan of guitarre music i still learned, i'll find out his name but best teacher i've ever known bar none :!: (my parents liked rock) ( i didn't)
  • I know NOTHING about guitars... but I thought this thread needed some music, so here's my good friend Iván playing a solo from Meridian Zero:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INglL3VhRj4

I'm so proud! icon_smile_approve.gif But looking at other people play makes me think it's too much effort for me to ever learn.
  • downfader
    I know NOTHING about guitars... but I thought this thread needed some music, so here's my good friend Iván playing a solo from Meridian Zero:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INglL3VhRj4

I'm so proud! icon_smile_approve.gif But looking at other people play makes me think it's too much effort for me to ever learn.

Always prefered Satch for the fast stuff myself. :oops:

Heres me making a Pignose feedback: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m9kbQXwjro
    :D
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Yamaha Pacifica

Cheap and more than cheerful.
    An excllent beginner guitar, but good enough when you are proficient.
    Overall Impressions of the Yamaha Pacifica
    The Pacifica reputation as an excellent choice for first-timers is well deserved. It doesn't sit on the strap with the weight and authority of its far more expensive inspiration, but it still feels and performs like a serious guitar. It is more than enough to take you from your first steps at playing through to your first band. It has a range of voices that will suit any type of music you care to try and when the day comes that you upgrade your guitar you'll look back on your Pacifica days with affection. Until that day comes it doesn't hurt your credibility to have Yamaha on your headstock.

http://www.imuso.co.uk/directory/reviews/electric-guitar-reviews/yamaha-pacifica.htm
  • I decided to teach myself the guitar about 5 years ago and bought a tanglewood sundance tw12 for about £180, its an acoustic and its great, has a really good sound to it and takes a lot of abuse..i.e. chucking it in the back of a car for the annual surf trip.
    But then maybe most people take more care of their equipment than me!
    Anyhow, whatever you get enjoy, its great fun...and i cant even play very well, and I sure has hell cant sing but I dont let something like that stop me!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    IMHO
    Forget the teach urself cr@p, find a good teacher i was learning /forced to learn an i think it was 30 quid for 2 hours but he was damn good, despite me not being a fan of guitarre music i still learned, i'll find out his name but best teacher i've ever known bar none :!: (my parents liked rock) ( i didn't)
    If you can't afford to take guitar lessons then go for the teach yourself books, if you're dedicated, you'll learn, that's the route I took and I learned to play the guitar, OK I might not be good enough to join a pop group but I can do a few riffs and throw a few chords together and can keep up with music on my CD’s. So if guitar lessons are out of reach then go down the teach yourself route, you will learn but you will have to be prepared to put the hours in.

And do go to a guitar shop and try them out, if you're too embarrassed to try them, then ask them to play them for you, I'm sure they get loads of people who can't play and are too embarrassed to try them so they'll be used to it.
  • downfader
    I taught myself alright. Loads of great literature out there too, dvds are good too and theres something for each style. Theres nothing quite like playing country licks over a heavy metal backing track! :lol:

+1 on the Pacifica. Great guitars, the really cheap ones are made of some less nice woods thesedays but the proper ones sound better with better hardware and woods.

Ibanez, for all their garish looks are very good to play too. The make Vintage are dirt cheap but play and sound nice with those Wilkinson pickups.

Try and find a good guitar shop too, as you might find a good second hand bargain. You dont need much for an amp, a Vox DA5 iirc the model number is a 5 watt practice amp, sounds dead nice and has loads of options. A lot of people moan about the cheaper Marshall amps, but imo they fit the beginners bill nicely, some even have fx on them too now and a cd/mp3 input.
  • iggs
    iggs Posts: 89
    I've just gone through the 'want to learn to play the guitar but need a guitar first but don't know what to buy' decision process

I decided to get an acoustic first. The logic was that it would be much easier to just pick up and play without all the faff of plugging in an amp etc.

I've brought a Tanglewood Acoustic. Reasonable quality, cost about £225. It was recommended to me by the guy in the music shop and as I cant play yet and don't know what to look for that was all I could go on.

I've had it a couple of weeks now and have got pretty sore fingers but I'm really enjoying the process I'm going through.

I figure that t I get on with this well then I'll get an electric guitar. I'l then know a lot more about what I'm looking for.

My first port of call was a learn to play the guitar book from Waterstones. This had buying advice in the back.

Bits of advice from some one who knows nothing

1. get the guitar stung with light strings to make the process that bit easier. Once your fingers have hardened up an got stronger you'll be able to restring with more robust stings if thats the sound your after. In the early stages though make life as easy as possible for yourself

2. When you get an instument buy an electronic tuner at the same time. Get one with a metronome as well as this is an invaluable tool in the learning process

3. get a stand so that the instrment can be out and available to just pick up and twiddle. In the early days your fingers are going to get tired and sore quite quickly. The easier the guitar is to access, the more you'll pick it up. Little and often is key to learning anything

Hope this helps

Ian
  • hopper1
    Wow.....So much input....
    Thanks guys, for all your efforts in bothering to respond, it's all much appreciated.
    I have found the name of a registered tutor, who also happens to play for one of the well known bands on our local scene, so will be contacting him soon.
    I'll also be hitting the local shops tomorrow, and telling the wife what she is buying me for Xmas! :wink:
    Thanks again, and I'll shortly post my final choice.
    I can't wait!
  • Be careful what guitar teaching book you buy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOAY-zURlGA
  • Pacifica 112 every time for starting to learn.

Greatest value for money and it keeps getting played even years later.
  • couple of good resources to try. Chordie (www.chordie.com) and the lick library (www.licklibrary.com).

Loads of free material, forums etc.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I would really recommend buying a cheapish guitar to start off with. Merely because until you've played a while, you won't know what type of guitar you really want, when you've found that out you can get a really nice guitar that's right for you.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • hopper1
    Going for my first lesson on Tuesday. :wink:
    I spoke with the tutor about buying a guitar, any good local shops, etc...
    He was really helpful. On Tuesday I will be playing any or all of his own personal guitars, to see which, if any, I prefer, he also told me of the better shops in our area, and offered to accompany me, if required, when I go to purchase. :wink:
    Told the wife, too, who was happy to pay for my new Xmas pressy, although it ultimately comes out of my money, anyway!
    I'll let you all know how it goes on Tuesday, though I'll probably be a little slow on the keyboard, as I'll have blistered finger tips! :cry:
  • on the road
    hopper1 wrote:
    I'll let you all know how it goes on Tuesday, though I'll probably be a little slow on the keyboard, as I'll have blistered finger tips! :cry:
    Got to pull you up, it's fretboard :twisted:
  • Sounds like you have found a good tutor!

Good luck with the lessons - yes you will have sore fingertips & you will have to keep practicing until they stop hurting!

One more tip is to visit YouTube - there are loads of tips, lessons, guides etc. & you can find your favorite songs with someone showing you how to play them.

http://uk.youtube.com/results?search_query=guitar+lessons+for+beginners&search_type=&aq=1&oq=guitar+le

If you're looking for guitar tuning software, this is useful AP Tuner
  • hopper1
    hopper1 wrote:
    I know it's a fretboard on the guitar, but was referring to slow typing of my next post, due to sore fingers on the PC's keyboard. :wink:
  • on the road
    hopper1 wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:
    I know it's a fretboard on the guitar, but was referring to slow typing of my next post, due to sore fingers on the PC's keyboard. :wink:
    I'll let you off :wink:
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Steveen wrote:
    Pacifica 112 every time for starting to learn.

Greatest value for money and it keeps getting played even years later.

This was my daughter's Christmas present last year:

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musica ... berry_red/

It has proven to be a good investment. She has now found an excellent teacher (first one not so good) and she's making great progress. The key to her impovement is learning to play music she enjoys, so her teacher asks her to take something along she likes (Nirvana !!) and she comes home and practices. And practices.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    When I was about 14 I decided I wanted to play bass which drove my parents mental - the constant 'thud-thud' of me playing along upstairs to Ramones' records was all a bit much for them.

:lol:
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    Not sure if I'm the fourth, fifth or sixth person to say this but:

Yamaha Pacifica 112.
  • Hello,

I've been playing guitar and bass for about a decade. My housemate has a Pacifica which I doodle on from time to time. I wouldn't hesitate to play a show with it - it's a lovely guitar.

Like bikes, guitars have an objective 'This has good parts and is swet up nicely' range of qualities, and also a subjective 'Phwoar, when I see that beast I just want to play with it' quality. Don't think that the second part isn't as important as the first. If you buy a bike/guitar that everyone agrees is a good'un, but you know in your heart doesn't really excite you, then you'll not use it as much. when you start to play you'll want a guitar that
    1) Is fairly easy to play / sounds okay
    2) makes you go 'I want to play that sexy beast RIGHT NOW' every time you walk into the room where it lives.

It's more important to foster enthusiasm at this stage than to worry about which guitar has more sustain or resonance or slightly better components or whathaveyou.