too cccccccccccc......cold !!

JimmyK
JimmyK Posts: 712
edited December 2008 in Workshop
Dont know about you lot but..............over here in n.ireland its bloody freezing !!

I was out today, just did 30 miles, had layers of clothing on and I was still chilled to the core ................I hate this weather :roll: , daylight dropping like a stone when it hits 4pm and the wind chill just isnt funny. Whats it like were you are today, did you head out on your bike too ?

JimmyK

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I gave up with my ride when the bottles froze over and my brakes stopped working because of the build of ice. I was happy otherwise with the temp though, my winter wardrobe is pretty good.

20% down slimy/frosty roads, with poorly functioning brakes made me give up.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Tis' the season for the gym and turbo training methinks! It's not even been bright enough to one of those pleasant cold crisp beautiful mornings... just chuffing freezing! :x
    We are all full of weakness and errors; let us mutually pardon each other our follies - it is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire
  • JimmyK
    it kinda makes us guys sound like ole wimmin moaning about the cold, but theres mornings ive woken up and thought " lets go cycling " , then stuck my toe out from under the blanket and it becomes " you gotta be joking !! " and its back to sleep.

oh how I long for nice spring weather to arrive.

JimmyK
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Pretty damn cold and icy up here. Hands, arms, torso and legs were fine (warm even) but toes and temples was bloody freezing!! Got a nasty headache and a bit of a sore throat. A whisky or two should sort that out.
  • Perhaps it's nature's way of giving us all a damn good rest before next season..?? Maybe best to enjoy the rest & come out fighting later on ..?? Having said that I'm hoping to do half a club ride in the morning.
  • I was looking forward to a frosty start, I've just built up a crosser.

3068203298_6a7990af29.jpg

It was foggy and the ground was gloopy, good fun though. :lol:
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
    Enjoy the finest cycling in the Peak District.
    47, 75 and 111 mile routes.
    http://www.beestonccsportive.co.uk/
  • JimmyK
    that little bag beneath your saddle, where do you get those ?

id like to house spare tube , foldable tyre , small pump and tyre levers in something like that.

JimmyK
  • redddraggon
    JimmyK wrote:
    that little bag beneath your saddle, where do you get those ?

id like to house spare tube , foldable tyre , small pump and tyre levers in something like that.

JimmyK

Any LBS or the likes of Wiggle, CRC, stock saddle bags - and they all tend to have hundreds to choose from.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • JimmyK
    I find velocycles saddle angle to be intriguing in the way the tip is pointing at a markedly downward pointing angle. If I sat on it, id slide straight off it. I angle my saddle with a slight upward pointing angle so my @rse stays put and I dont slide around .

JimmyK
  • Seatpack is from Decathlon.
    Saddle angle=Testicle preserver.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • redddraggon
    I've got to say that saddle angle is nasty - it would take too much of my effort trying to stop on the saddle rather slip off.....

If you are having saddle issues I think you need a new saddle, rather than put it at an horrendous angle like that :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I've got to say that saddle angle is nasty - it would take too much of my effort trying to stop on the saddle rather slip off.....

If you are having saddle issues I think you need a new saddle, rather than put it at an horrendous angle like that :wink:

reddragon
    Thanks for the comments, apologies for hijacking this thread with my 'saddle angle', I think the picture is deceptive, as the bikes on a slope.
    Have a look at this picture taken last week, same saddle, no adjustments made since.
    Does it still look odd to you?
    3051241760_669ff0de64.jpg
    [/img]
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Nothing 'wrong' with that saddle angle, from the picture that is. Nobody can tell you what is wrong, if it works for you then that's what matters. FWIW, I have a slight down angle on my saddle(s), too.
  • Nobody can tell you what is wrong, if it works for you then that's what matters

spot on.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Went out around Upsal and Knayton frost on the ground, clear skys, cracking vews.
    Only went out for an hour and I take it easy on the decents in these conditions. My clothing is:
    long sleeved top
    Altura Windstopper top
    shorts
    longs
    overshoes
    magic streatch gloves (a quid off the market)
    Boyes Ski Gloves (3 quid)
    And I was lovely and toasty :lol:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    c'mon you poms are all too soft when it comes to the weather! :shock:

i went out yesterday - i was fine after everything had gone numb! :roll:

(Waits to get flamed) :wink:
    regards,
    dbb
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    I was looking forward to a frosty start, I've just built up a crosser.

3068203298_6a7990af29.jpg

It was foggy and the ground was gloopy, good fun though. :lol:

How do you put pictures in here ? :?
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    Don’t know how to post pictures but agree its definitely freezing. Went out for three hours this morning and was very grateful every time I came to a hill to get warmed up. My finger ends became a bit numb but the last half of the ride they thawed out quite nicely. The main concern was ice in the road where water had flowed over. Despite the gripes I did enjoy the ride as through the week its all work and travel back in the dark, can’t wait for spring to come.
  • JimmyK
    dont start me about riding in the dark .

I choose to bike it to the office as opposed to drive it, at 5 pm when I go home it is pitch black and the number of wimmin drivers not looking where they are going , its become a battle ground to get home in one piece.

I was pleasantly surprised by new Cateye front and rear lightset though, boy the batteries last forever on those things. I set both to "flash" and they must use so little current , gotta say that I am very very pleased with them so far.

JimmyK
  • Hi there.

Cold? It was only -4.7c as I rode through the freezing fog this morning to a local cx race...

Race itself was fine, but I needed two pairs of tights, two pairs of socks, overshoes, two hats, base layer, 3 thermal tops, a buff thingy, two pairs of gloves and my winter jacket for the ride home!

But then the temperature had risen to a balmy -3.9c!

Cheers, Andy
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    yep - you definitely win!

i don't even own that much cycle clothing
    regards,
    dbb
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    I was out for 6 hours today on the mtb for some cross country and i agree its cold! My shoes were the only weak link in my defences against the cold. They are summer mtb shoes but combined with overshoes + good socks are nice and toasty. Unfortunately i lost my overshoes last winter and when someone offered to buy me some new ones for christmas I accepted the offer - without thinking what it would mean for my toes in the weeks leading up to christmas :oops:
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    60 miles and 4 hours in the Sunny but cold North West. I think I got lucky today, no fog. It was cold and the wind was biting, but the sun was out. Would be suprised if it got into the minus degrees until I hit Staffordshire, then it got cold! Properly layered up though.

Long sleeve base
    80's wooley cycling top (yes it still fits)
    Thermal jacket
    Gore waterproof jacket
    Thermal hat
    Snood (neck scarf thing)
    Sealskin gloves (they are the business. Hands were toasty)
    Endura overshoes

Only cold part of me was my feet. I just can't keep them warm. Any tips on warm feet most welcome!
  • Seal skin socks are pretty good for the feet too.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Lovely day here - zero or below cos the bird bath in my garden kept freezing over. Went out on the mtb today - tried to do as much off road as possible - did four hours plus and only got cold when had to fix a flat. Rode through lots of ice drifts that had come off the trees - v pretty.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    lfcquin wrote:
    Sealskin gloves (they are the business. Hands were toasty)

which ones? cos these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/SealS ... 360038455/

are bloody useless!!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    edited December 2008
    Lovely ride yesterday, even if it did take me half the morning to put all my cold weather gear on before I could get out the front door, although within half an hour my fingers and toes were freezing, and shortly afterwards I lost touch with them altogether.

My favourite riding areas for the short winter days are either the Lancashire lanes, 20 miles north, or Cheshire, 20 miles south. Yesterday I decided to combine them and got my second 100-miler of the year :D (was hoping to do more this year but had an accident in the summer)

Gorgeous day it was, a few frosty lanes and icy puddles here and there - thanks to the 2 riders coming up the steep hill I was about to zoom down who warned me about the black ice at the bottom! Did the last couple of hours in the dark as I'd hoped (tho my front light isn't as good as I remember, even with new batteries - going to save up for a few Fenix's after Christmas) and finished off with a ferry cross de mersey :lol:
  • croggy
    croggy Posts: 116
    MTFU.
    Just wrap up and get out there.I love it when it's cold. :D
  • At least when the temp hits the minus figures you know what to wear - everything !
    Only had time for about an hour and a half yesterday but loved it. Had a headache all day today though and reading this thread made me wonder if it was caused by the cold despite wearing a decent fleece hat under my helmet.
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • Went out today for a quick 40 miles, it was pretty damn cold if you ask me! Mercifully I managed to stay toasty warm after what seemed like a few hours of putting on kit!
    Briko Winter Baselayer
    LS Jersey
    Montane Windproof Jacket
    Shorts
    Adidas Climawarm Bib Tights
    2 pairs of socks
    Thick pair of overshoes
    Northwave Neoprene Gloves
    Pirate bandanna under helmet to keep ears warm!
    A great ride in the crisp winter sunshine!

exercise.png