So where are we freezeing our bits off this week end ?

Bikerbaboon
Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
edited December 2008 in MTB rides
Any one have some good plans. If so let us know.
Im thinking that im going to stainburn or i may head round some local trails. is any one else up for a ride ?
Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Comments

• I'm just hoping to get out on my bike again after my op :)
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Up on Cutgate this weekend in the Dark Peak.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Sitting with my feet up after last weekend and my op last Thursday :oops: .
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Already been up to bracknell forest this morning, I really need to sort some winter tyres for the Inbred, the Continentals are terrible.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    Mud X, amazing....

I spent 3 hours in the local woods in the rain with just a rake and not even my bike. Nice to finally build some trails instead of just riding other peoples. I now ache and have blisters on both hands but it was worth it, will ride them tomorrow :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Pentland hills near Edinburgh for me. I was doing just fine with all the ice, but I'd overlooked that the streams would be a bit chilly too, I thought I was going to lose some toes :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • BigStu2
    BigStu2 Posts: 794
    I whimped out, normally I dont mind the cold but the snow has been in meltdown the last couple of days and it rained all night so I'm off to the indoor (200m) running track with my road bike buddies, Last week I clocked up 40km averaging 1 lap every 20 or so seconds, So thats a lot of laps!
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • just done 3 hours across salisbury plain. the freezing wind picked up for the last few miles and i really suffered. could barely change gear my hands were so cold. better than the usual mundain sunday in front of crap telly tho.
  • Went out yesterday from slad valley in stroud glos. Up through frith wood on towards cranham, across painswick beacon then buckholt woods near birdlip. Then had a little sit down and cursed my sealskins for not being the slightest bit warm, even if they are wind and waterproof. Anyone tried any thermal innergloves they could recommend?
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Northwind
    edited November 2008
    Inner gloves can be a bit counterproductive, unless your outer gloves are quite loose the inners will make the fit really tight, which can cut circulation down, and also can reduce the insulating effect. I've got a brilliant pair of fine-stitch woolen gloves which I got free with a motorbike magazine about 5 years ago, they're quite thin and knitted stuff is a superb insulator (not because of the wool, but because of the air). Something like that is what I'd recommend if it's got to be liners, I've tried Coldkillers and silk gloves but neither were anything like as good.

I'm just on the hunt now for the most ridiculously hot gloves I can find. It was -3 by the time I got home today, do not want.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    I wimped out again. Just couldn't face it this morning. Not ridden now for two weeks :(
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Cheers Northwind. I'll try some woolen thinsulate gloves i've got knocking around somewhere. Also got some of my old motorbike gloves somewhere so may give them a try, probably a bit bulky though. Let me know if you find anything new that does the job. Thanks.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Northwind
    I think I'm about to retire my spada motorbike gloves from the road, some of the stitching's broken, but they might work well on an MTB- they're bulky obviously, but not terribly so. I'll try those if I commute at all this week (which tbh seems unlikely, unless it snows) I fancy getting a pair of Sugoi Firewalls...

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... l-gt-27873
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Was in the Pentlands for just an hour or so yesterday - plan to head there again tomorrow for a while. Time/distance will depend on how legs are feeling after getting much more running training in this week again...... :D
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Weather's been brillant here today, really cold & icey, sunny and no wind so it actually doesn't feel too cold. Can't ride till my bits heal up :cry:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • I was out on the North Yorks Moors, in Glaisdale valley/moor. We did a loop starting and ending in Danby. Loosey based on a MBR route. Enjoyed it lots, even though i've bruised my shoulder badly when i came off my bike, not to mention a spoke snapped and got jammed in the derailer and snapped the chain.

Some of the shots

11.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg
    Yorkshire Man living in Somerset
    http://twitter.com/Mattharperbikin
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,868
    did 40 mins on the road bike & froze

Llandegla this w.end
  • My bits are still frozen somewhere on a country road West of Aberdeen, will pick them up next weekend......
    You'd think it was winter or something.
  • I managed to get out, and was annoyed at the fitness i lost in 2 weeks, managed about 6 miles I think, which is shite. Will get a pic up in a bit though...
  • Northwind wrote:
    I I've got a brilliant pair of fine-stitch woolen gloves which I got free with a motorbike magazine about 5 years ago...

Not off the front of T.W.O were they? I've got a pair just like it, the TWO logo on the rist. Brilliant they are, thin enough to keep your dexterity yet so warm and cosy on the inside.

My favourite bit of MTB kit. :lol:
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • Northwind
    Yup. I'd pay proper money for another pair, they are the business. 8)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    I will be here http://www.openadventure.com/open5/16_LakeDistrict.htm and you can still enter on-line now! You can cycle for 4hrs45mins and run for 15mins if you want so you don't have to be able to run. And you've got Wilf's Cafe and the brewery in Staveley at the end of it all!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Northwind wrote:
    Pentland hills near Edinburgh for me. I was doing just fine with all the ice, but I'd overlooked that the streams would be a bit chilly too, I thought I was going to lose some toes :lol:

Very much agree went up to the pentlands with the lights to go play in the snow last tuesday, it was amazing!! brought the bothy bag for the midride banana break, lifesaver !!

Also was up at glentress last night. Re-frozen slush really teaches you how to use the berms properly. mostly because steering and braking dont work, at all !! :)
    Any man who lives within his means lacks imagination
    Oscar Wilde
  • Northwind
    edited December 2008
    Cresta run!

I was back up in the Pentlands on saturday, I've never seen ice like it... I've got a big climb out of Currie at the start, the tarmac was a wee bit sketchy then the farm track was just one massive chute. Great fun but I think I was pretty lucky not to maim myself about 20 times, the smart thing to do was push or use the verges but I love riding on ice, all about the smooth inputs and accuracy. I did manage to ride almost all the way across a massive frozen puddle before falling through the ice into 6 inch deep icy water, brr... Going from high gear slow pedal ice riding to mashing through a sheet of ice in mud doesn't seem to work :oops: The woods were clear of ice other than in the muddy patches though, so I spent ages in the woods at Harlaw just riding the narrow footpaths around the reservoir, and on the shore. Very slow day but lots of fun. My average speed was probably just above walking pace

Oh, suddenly I understand how people die falling through ice on lakes and reservoirs- Harlaw was under ice across most of it, and the temptation to try and ride or walk on it was immense, talk about an itch you can't scratch!

n522262814_1088418_2856.jpg[/img]
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Father Faff
    Well it was exactly the same in the Lake District on the Open 5 except we were trying to race on the ice - scarey!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Northwind
    You're having a laugh, racing on it? Last one not in traction wins?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Father Faff
    Yes, I'd be amazed if there were no injuries. Luckily most of the racing was on moorland tracks which weren't iced under the snow but some of the road/bridleway sections had previously melted and then frozen again and were like ice rinks - see www.openadventure.com for wintry pictures of madness on mountain bikes!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • BigStu2
    BigStu2 Posts: 794
    Thought I'd keep the thread rolling along.
    Town Ride.
    Clear blue skies greeted me today however the only option was to stick to graded roads and foot paths due to a weeks worth of snow, temp was - 13 and after 1.5 hours my water botttle was pretty much solid ice, all in all a good day out. For an idea of what the single track looked like check out my kids cubbie house.
    1002205dg5.th.jpg
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • Father Faff
    Hej BigStu2! Do you use nailed snow tyres on your MTBs in Sweden? Looks a bit snowy!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Im hoping to get out on my new bike tomorrow as ive never ridden it and had it nearly a week (boo) its been raining solid since last night but its due to be cold but fine tomorrow so fingers crossed!
    "Don't ask the reasons why cos there arent any, don't follow convention, never say no, just believe in what you see and let the good times roll!"