Have You Ever Been On The Telly…

CHRISNOIR
CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
edited December 2008 in The bottom bracket
…y’know, other than lurking about in the background of something? I've only ever 'lurked' and I nearly made onto some Tour of Britain coverage many years ago but some bloke ran in front of me as I was about to get in shot. I also appeared briefly on a news report about CIS in 1997 for 0.002 nanoseconds - I was leaving the building - unfortunately it coincided with the time I decided to experiment with a shaved head and I looked like a lobotomy patient.

Anyone had any ‘starring roles’?

Comments

• I recently did and interview for a programme to be aired on Sky some time next year. Do you want my autograph :D
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    A UK Horizons proggy looking at the life of an adult actress, part of a meet & greet scene. Was recognised by a few people who asked 'if it was me on screen last night?'
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Was on Match Of The Day once, they were zooming in on yobs in the crowd... it was the blokes in front of me, honest!
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • I was filmed for a Noel Edmonds saturday night programe back in the late 80's. Stopped off for a drink in a country pub with my dad on the way back from a evening schoolboy race at goowood. They where filiming a section where they do games in pub gardens to show people making complete idiots of themselves.

Also was on tv a couple of seasons back before a brighton v palace match
  • A few years ago when the BBC used to have as it's "Links" between programmes they did a variety of sequences where the Orange and Yellow hot air balloon floated over various UK landmarks.

The one that was past the Angel of the North in Gateshead had a football match in progress next to the statue, I was the guy on the close up dribbling the ball as opposition players attempted sliding tackles etc.

It took about 15 takes to get right, people were dropping their shorts and similar boyish pranks.

Edit - just found this on wikipedia. Aah pleasant memories

BBC-one-1997-gateshead.jpg
  • MrHulot
    MrHulot Posts: 173
    I got caught walking through Oxford when they were filming Morse
  • I actually am a puppet maker and puppeteer and have been on the tv/film a few times but that doesn't really count.

However I am in the background of one episode of Sex and the City, just happened to be in NY at the time. Took a lot of lurking to get in there though so not entirely by accident :D
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Not on TV but I have been an extra in a film. It was called "Another Country" and loads of it was filmed near where I used to live. I was a choirboy so you catch glimpses of me in a couple of scenes in a church and at a remembrance day service.
  • Does Crimewatch count?

Not 'actually' on the screen, but it did sound like me...
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I've been on lurking in the background a few times this year - TOB two consecutive days, TdF as riders went past on Alpe d'Huez, they zoomed in on my stepson whilst he was jumping up and down with the union jack and his yellow jersey on celebrating a Victoria Pendleton win at the Worlds (and I was next to him).

Also been on Rugby Special, Match of the Day and Sky/C4 cricket coverage a few times.

A group of us were interviewed after being handed free water on a night out to promote sensible hydration. Ended up on breakfast news on BBC on the Monday morning.
  • pbt150
    pbt150 Posts: 316
    University Challenge 2007. Beat University of Reading in the first round, got annihilated by Edinburgh in the second, but it was my 15 minutes...
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I was on the TV doing ballroom dancing. then I fell off.

boom boom.
  • I would imagine that the grown ups amongst you would have seen me on Play School, circa 1980. We were on the video "through one of the windows" 8) . Career took a bit of a nosedive after that :lol: . I have been on TV at White Hart Lane. When they have the pre-match and half time pundits on Sky and there are always a few silly knobs making silly gestures in the background. Well I was one of those silly knobs :oops: : . Also been on TV at Lords, England v West Indies in the Tavern Stand.
  • ronstrutt
    ronstrutt Posts: 3,170
    My left arm featured in an episode of Time Team - for all of one second!
  • Was on That's Life with Esther Rantzen (where is she now, we ask? :) ) back in 1992.

Part of a juggling club who appeared as part of their "Local Talent Search" or something.
    Trouble was that none of us were very good.
    Doesn't stop my mum bringing out the old VHS tape every Xmas :(

Still living wiht the shame of taking second-billing to a carrot shaped like a thingy :)
    time flies like an arrow
    fruit flies like a banana
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    5 seconds coverage of me riding a TT in a televised stage race when I was younger, fitter and considerably less substantial than I am now.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    Was on That's Life with Esther Rantzen (where is she now, we ask? :)
    In some jungle in Australia at the mo I believe

I have been caught lurking in a crowd scene outside a ladies loo in Kingston that had been converted in to an art gallery

Snake
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    A few times in the early 00's when I was in trading floor support I ended up in shot when someone was being interviewed for the news. There was a fixed camera which was always used and it was at a busy area on the floor.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • snakehips wrote:
    Was on That's Life with Esther Rantzen (where is she now, we ask? :)
    In some jungle in Australia at the mo I believe

Does anyone know the number where I can vote to keep her there for good? :lol:
    time flies like an arrow
    fruit flies like a banana
  • Beatsystem ie me and a girl singer where on Dancedays on channel four in the 80's.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    In about 1984 I made the news coverage of MIlk Race which was very popular then.
    Maybe M.Elliot reads this and may remember :D
    I was very fit those days and rode to Caerphilly to watch them do the last climb on last stage. I was at lights and saw Elliot go as he was on a lone break. The ploiceman said he was minutes in front so I could go.
    I gave Elliot about 300yards then procedded to ride through thew town. There were hundreds watching and they thought I was in the race !! So I had to make it look like I was so I had to put a bit of effort in.
    By the time I got through the town, climbig toward the last climb of Caerphilly mountain, I started to close a bit on Elliot (bear in mind they had just rode 96 miles and I had just left the house) and when I looked behind I could see another rider closing on me!! I could not get off by now as it would look silly so I carried on up the climb, closing in on Elliot, who probably thought I was the checkaslovakian rider who was behind me, and he inturn thought I was Elliot so he was trying to catch me!!
    Close to the top of the climb there were tv crews so I had to carry on until I passed them so I made it on the news :D but when I passed them I got off and was within 50 yards of Elliot and the Check guy was about 100 yards behind me and boy did he look pissed off when I got off the bike to loud cheers from all the guys I knew at the top :D
    Elliot went on to descend into Cardiff and win the stage and the race.
  • MrHulot
    MrHulot Posts: 173
    oldwelshman - ace
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    I've been on the news a couple of times in the background. I tend to go past the courts in Birmingham around 8:20, the time they're doing reports on some trial or other for the morning news.
  • I made it onto a feature on a local itv programme (The Lads) that a friend of mine was presenting. It was my birthday and St Patrick's day at the local rugby club in Falmouth. My 'best man' was the host of the party and he had been creating cocktails for people to buy me to celebrate. Next thing we knew was a couple of weeks later when the whole thing was broadcast on tv for a feature on St Patrick's dat celebrations and I was the one leaning over the edge of the pitchside hoardings hurling into the wind!!!
    One that hasn't been saved for prosperity as you can imagine! Still 5 minute feature and my girlfriend (now wife) looking after me while my 'mates' looked on laughing was something that made a minor celeb at uni as I was in my final year!
  • you could just see me in the crowd watching "driving force" with 'mike smith' at the army ranges at Bovington camp in Dorset 1987.....ah good times!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • I appeared in the BBC 2 Christmas lectures working a police explosive search dog, the same programmes featured Chris Boardman, we spent a few boring hours back stage waiting to do our 5 mins.
    I was also in the BBC 1 series "The Litter" which followed a litter of pups through to becoming police dogs.
    It's not the size of dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    edited November 2008
    Fell on the telly whilst drunk once, does that count :? :oops:

Btw oldwelshman wins it for me, IMHO 8)
  • sward29
    sward29 Posts: 205
    edited November 2008
    I was on an episode of Horizon a few years ago when they did a programme about Sport Science at the university I went to. I was doing a V02 test on an ergo with a nose clip on and a tube shoved in my month and my puny torso on show. Not surprisingly I wasn't inundated with offers for further TV work after that. BC didn't contact me to get me on the WCPP either..........'you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear'
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Chuckle Vision

One of the very early series..... Cycle Crazy - Our cub was approached to be the 'riders' in a race......got a pub lunch out of it. Needless to say non of us were that keen, but the series has cult status now....
  • For a period of about six weeks I was media spokesman for my organisation during a crisis and ended up on TV loads - bloomberg, CNN, C4, BBC etc. Even got sit 'on the couch' with two bright orange breakfast TV presenters!

It was fun but weird - strangers asked me where they knew me from. Old colleagues from years ago from the US and canada sending me emails ...