HRmax calc, HR monitors and training zones

duckson
duckson Posts: 961
OK firstly let me start in saying i know the HRmax calc of 220-age isnt supposed to be to accurate but on wikipedia it also states some other calcs you can use as more accurate, eg

HRmax = 205.8 − (0.685 × age)

OK these will be general calcs and you can only get an accurate reading by doing an exhaustion "test" but nevertheless. I know a work collegues personal trainer calculated his HRmax from a calc and designed his training regime around this so it cant be to far out....i dont know the calc used though but could find out.
Is there any calcs which are recognised as giving a decent ball park figure?

Secondly, which HR monitors are recommended for mixed bike and running use, i've been looking at Ciclosport which seem to have lots of functions and are cheapish :-
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Ciclo ... 360034051/

Any recommendations along these lines, £50 max? I guess i would want the HR zones to be inputted along with a average and max HR reading from an exercise session.

Thirdly, any links to help and info on training zones and what % of HRmax you should be working between?
Cheers, Stu

Comments

• mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    Hi Stu,

This topic has come up a lot on this forum, so I suggest you use the search tool. As far as I'm aware the only really accurate way to guage maxHR is through a ramp test

For comparison, I did one last night, where my Max came out at 181.

Based on those Wiki formulas:

220 − age = 186
    205.8 − (0.685 × age) = 182.51
    206.3 − (0.711 × age) = 182.126
    217 − (0.85 × age) = 188.1

I'm not going to say anything, draw your own conclusions!
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    See this thread for a few more actual results versus the 220-age calculation.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12594618

Any generalised formula is going to give a generalised answer and your true max HR could be quite close to the result or miles out. Your training zones could be out correspondingly, but I can't say how much this REALLY matters.

However, actually finding your absolute max heart rate is probably not that straight forward as you really need to be able to push yourself way beyond the comfort zone. Repeated testing would give a more reliable figure.
    duckson wrote:
    Thirdly, any links to help and info on training zones and what % of HRmax you should be working between?
    Have a look here:
    http://www.timetrialtraining.co.uk/S7Tr ... ensity.htm

Note that using heart rate alone when training at short/high intensities is not that reliable due to the lag between the intensity of the effort changing and the HR response.
  • I have the Ciclosport CP13is HRM and it's pretty reasonable for £30 ish, it does tend to pick up some interference though, it spikes around powerlines and can lose signal in group rides. For general training though it's a useful tool, recording data on time spent in your desired training zone (you can set this yourself) is great.

exercise.png