Boardman bikes are cheap at Halfords at the mo!

littleandy0410
littleandy0410 Posts: 631
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
I've just been looking on Halfords website, they have 10% off all bikes at the moment, including Boardman bikes. They also seem to have dropped the RRP of the bikes as well. I bought a Boardman Comp road bike in September when the RRP was £599 and the had 10% off, so I thought I was getting bargain at £540.

The same model is now down to £449.99! That's a bargain! (it's not going to help me when I come to upgrade though :evil: )

Obviously, lack of stock is the main issue, I had to do a 140 mile round trip for mine. The 09 models aren't available yet either.

Anyone looking at buying a new road bike, I don't think you'll beat this for the money!
Boardman Road Comp '08
Spesh FSR XC Expert '08

Comments

• Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Im tempted, last I saw they were £540, but now they are less!!.... my Saracen Tour 3 is still on order and its looking like a Jan delivery ive been told today, my local Halfords said they will have stock anyday, so I may swap even though I prefer the look of the Saracen :cry:
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • Gav888, go for the Boardman. (if you can find one in your size!) It's much better spec, with Shimano 105 rear mech and Tiagra shifters and front mech. I think i's worth going for the Tiagra shifters so you get the extra change lever, instead of the little thumb buttons. I personally found them (thumb shifters) uncomfortable to use.

The Saracen is quite a nice looking bike, but I love the look of the Boardman. I was tempted to buy a Specialized Allez 09, because I love the curvy frame, but common sense prevailed and I went for the better spec.

You know it makes sense!
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • I agree, I tried out one of the 09 Boardmans at Bikehut St Pauls last week, it is now top of my shopping list for the new year when my company introduces the bike 2 work scheme. :D
    "If you think you can, or if you think you can't, your right" Henry Ford
  • BBL
    BBL Posts: 21
    Allow a bit in your budget to get the bike checked by your LBS before you ride it (unless you can do it yourself)

Picked up a Boardman Road Team from Halfords last week (company went with Halfords for the Bike2Work Scheme) and after reading the warnings on here took it to the LBS today.

So far they have had to reroute and replace the gear cables, grease a few areas and loosen bolts which have been overtightened.

My complaint to Halfords will be going in tomorrow.
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    BBL wrote:
    Allow a bit in your budget to get the bike checked by your LBS before you ride it (unless you can do it yourself)

Picked up a Boardman Road Team from Halfords last week (company went with Halfords for the Bike2Work Scheme) and after reading the warnings on here took it to the LBS today.

So far they have had to reroute and replace the gear cables, grease a few areas and loosen bolts which have been overtightened.

That particular halford's sounds pretty poor but you can't generalize the whole BikeHut section from your own personal experience.

My LBS is very much like the Halford's you described, very poor. However my local Halford's are very knowledgeable and show lots of interest in that area.

It really depends on the employees.
  • BBL
    Vivid wrote:
    BBL wrote:

That particular halford's sounds pretty poor but you can't generalize the whole BikeHut section from your own personal experience.

My LBS is very much like the Halford's you described, very poor. However my local Halford's are very knowledgeable and show lots of interest in that area.

It really depends on the employees.

Fair point. But going on personal experience and a broad overview of the posts on this and other bike-related forums I feel on-balance a check by another company/store would be a wise investment.
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    I was in there today and saw they had dropped the Road Comp to £499, but 10% off extra as well makes this so cheap.

I've got about 12hrs to decide whether to go for the C2W scheme next year, but at that price I could just buy off the shelf..
  • Yeah, the guy i dealt with in St pauls was a qualified bike mech who really seemed to know his stuff and was passionate about what he did. He even made alternative suggestions based on my proposed usage and even offered to order in bikes for me to try out without any obligation to buy.
    Now, while i have an excellent LBS who do all my existing servicing and such, they could not offer me this option to try different makes before i bought.

I think that if you go to dedicated Bikehut shops rather than Halfords branches then it may be a better idea.
  • chintz
    chintz Posts: 17
    I am 5 foot 7

would small be too small for me?

cheers
  • I am also 5'7'' and small is perfect for me. Medium is ok but there is no clearance on top tube if I slide off. I only have a 27" inside leg though
  • Bar.
    Bar. Posts: 41
    Bought my Road Comp yesterday for £499 with £20 off for a very minor scratch on the bar. I noticed at the time that the base Hybrid model was down to £349, which surely makes it an excellent commuter option for those in the need/want?
    speaking to their staff they say the 2009 models are on the system, but not in the stores. That said, I think Chelmsford may have a few. You can't really trust the online stock indicators at the moment for anyone after a bargain, but as of this week Harlow has a SML and MED Road Comp and Colchester a SML one - no laughing!
    It would be nice if the accessories could also get some money knocked off them as my £10 voucher won't go far.

Bar.
  • Bar.
    Bar. Posts: 41
    Chintz - regarding size: I'm 5'6" and went for the Medium, though I have 29" inside leg and slightly ape-like length arms.

Bar.
  • Gav888
    Not sure if its just my local Halfords, but the Boardman Road Comp in the shop is £599, but no stock, maybe 2 weeks he said. I said about it being offered for £449 and he said it was the single speed drop bar model only, the Road Comp is still £599 with no discount availble!

Just checked on there website and its £450 inc the extra 10% discount, god knows why they want £600 in the shop, maybe he was a thick twat??
  • ordered my boardman comp for £450 2day :D very pleased can't wait to get it and give it a whirl, also saw they are selling off the boardman pro for £810!!! if only i had the money :(
  • typo there, can't edit, my bad they're £910
  • pud77
    pud77 Posts: 144
    I've noticed that the '09 bikes aren't available in XL size. Will they be coming or are they not going to be made ? Anyone know ....

1st road bike sizing question now - the XL road comp is semi-compact 57.5cm. Will my 6'4" frame with a 35" leg (clothing wise) be ok. My heart says great price, but head is thinking the bike will be too small. Any help apreciated :?
  • pud77 wrote:
    I've noticed that the '09 bikes aren't available in XL size. Will they be coming or are they not going to be made ? Anyone know ....

1st road bike sizing question now - the XL road comp is semi-compact 57.5cm. Will my 6'4" frame with a 35" leg (clothing wise) be ok. My heart says great price, but head is thinking the bike will be too small. Any help apreciated :?

Sorry Cumbria I would like to bump your question. I am 6' 1" with 33" leg. Would a XL be too large for me or should I go for a large???
  • BBL
    Don't know if this is any use but I'm 5' 10 and bought a large Road Team (2008)
  • i'm about 5"10 and i'm buying a large, might just be me but i like big frames for some reason
  • Gav888
    Not sure if you were aware, but did you see the Gadget Show last night, they had the Boardman Comp and Focus something on there..... Boardman got best entry level bike.

Watch it here - http://demand.five.tv/Episode.aspx?epis ... 5138890009
  • Does anyone know if you can stick mudguards on the Boardman Road Comp bike?
  • BBL
    Does anyone know if you can stick mudguards on the Boardman Road Comp bike?

I don't thnk so, there's no where on the Team for them to go, so I guess SKS Raceblades are the only other option
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Don't waste your time with raceblade I have a pair and they're rubbish.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • As BBL says, there are no mudguard mounts on the Boardman frames. (08 at least, not sure about 09) This was a consideration fo me when I got mine, as I was torn between the Road Comp and a Giant SCR 1.5. In the end, I went for the Boardman because it looks better :oops: Not that I'm shallow at all!

If it's wet or muddy, I just ride the mountain bike!
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • Would you not be able to fit a crud catcher? i know they're primarily designed for the mountain bikes but it would help to minimise spray e.t.c
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Crud catchers don't really do much, on a road bike the main issues are getting soaking wet feet and spray in the face as the wet coming off forwards at the top of the wheel blows back at any speed over about 14mph. Crud catchers, though, can be fitted to any bike if they use elastic/rubber cords, but I wouldn't bother.
  • father_jack
    Lots of water will be sprayed on the seat tube, you really need full length guards.
  • ram038
    ram038 Posts: 187
    boardman Pro reduced by £400 to under £1000 if i can get that on the C2W scheme I will get it for £590 saving £700. whats the betting that i won't that Halfords will not have any left come jan 4th when i get my LoC.
  • I just ordered the XL frame pro with 10% off so paying £900, it arrives on the 2nd Jan

The guy in the local bike shop said I needed a 60cm frame but said the XL Boardman was a great deal at the price range.

When it arrives I'll be taking it to the LBS for a check over and see if I need a new Stem or some other thing that's possible to increase the length

I'm 6'2 with 33 inch inside leg
  • father_jack
    Is £1K for Dura Ace equpped roadie is pretty good price?