Roller training

Gerard Ragnauth
Gerard Ragnauth Posts: 18
Elodea,

just borrowed some rollers (Tacx 110mm) and got started with my Raleigh Randonneur tourer (with 700x32) tyres - kevlar etc. basically bombproof. However in the first 20 mins had 1 blowout at 60 psi and another 10 mins later at 50 psi. Normally, I commute with 45psi and no problems. My question is...higher or lower pressure for rollers. Low psi (40 psi) causes alarming drift across the rollers (scary!) while higher psi is sweeter and responsive but....bang!! what's the deal?

Jez

Comments

• Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    I'd say there's another problem - around 100psi here and no blowouts :?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Are they knobbly tyres?
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    I would have thought that even at 50psi that is very low. I normaly run 110psi in 700x23 on my rollers and never suffered any blowouts.

The contact area being a fairly tight curve means that you are putting more pressure on a smaller area than on the road, so more likely to pinch puncture at those low pressures. I'd think that somewhere in the region of 80psi or more would stop the blowouts, always assuming there was no foreign object causing the punctures.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I maybe missing something but why would rollers cause a blowout? I can't see how pinch punctures would be an issue unless you've gouged a section of the roller out to simulate British roads.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    It’s almost certainly being caused by over-heating.

With certain tyre/rim combinations, the bead will pop off the rim at the slightest provocation. Plastic rollers generate a lot of heat. The inner tube pops out and bingo... Blowout!

I used to have this issue on an Alex rimmed wheel and Schwalbe tyre combo which I use on rollers. I cured it by fitting trainer tyres and it's never happened since.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    I have used old Mich pro 2 slicks and Marathon pluses on my rollers at 80-100 psi and never had any problems.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    do you need to use diefferent tyres on rollers than you use on the road like a turbo trainer?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    There shouldn't be an issue - the wheel isn't clamped to the roller. I'm not sure why there should be heat build up either - certainly I've never noticed it. If the tyres are popping off the rim on rollers then the tyres are almost certainly dangerous on the road too - if they are puncturing on the rollers then there must be something inside the tyre
    as the surface of the roller should be smooth.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.