Motivation At Zero...........

steve23
steve23 Posts: 2,202
two weeks ago i was itching to get on my bike! but after a bad case of flu and conjunctivitis, now ive recovered, i find it a chore to get out of the door.

plus i want to winter really well, so i can improve for next year!!!

i really want to ride, but i just havent got the motivation at all, and i get pi$$ed of about the slightest thing!!!

before anyone says it, no i havent been overtraining, 1 ride in 3 weeks certainly not!!!

how do i "recindle" the flame so to speak????

thanks
_______________________________________________________________________________________
If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!

Comments

• liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    phone a friend and go out for some fun. if they're competetive race up a hill and try and beat them.

... or remember that you're a long time dead and you aint got many seasons to throw away before you can't ride no more.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Go for a gentle ride - go cycling, rather than training. Whenever I've looked at winter cycling as a means to getting fit for next year, and tried to follow a program I get bored and stop enjoying it.

I've been flued up for two weeks, so would love to go out - new bike all built and still not had chance to ride it due to first business abroad, and now illness
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Watch a Cycling DVD, look at BC website for races and put them in your diary. Then get out when the snow has gone.
    Thats what Im doing today.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    steve23 wrote:
    i really want to ride, but i just havent got the motivation at all.........
    If you do really "want to ride" then surely motivation is not a problem?

C'mon, admit it - you don't want to ride. If you're prepared to admit that to yourself then you can start unpacking the reasons why you don't want to ride. The weather's orrible? You'd prefer company? You're simply feeling lazy? ............. first you've got to work out what's stopping you because until you do you won't start to a look for a solution that'll solve the problem.

Ruth
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I really had no motivation this morning to go out this morning, I'd only had 4 hours, there was snow on the cars outside and it just started raining.

I thought screw it and went back to bed, 10mins later I was getting dressed and rushing to the meeting point. I knew I'd regret if I didn't go on a ride. I enjoyed it even though I cold, wet and tired, you always do when you actually get out on the bike.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I really had no motivation this morning to go out this morning, I'd only had 4 hours, there was snow on the cars outside and it just started raining.

I thought screw it and went back to bed, 10mins later I was getting dressed and rushing to the meeting point. I knew I'd regret if I didn't go on a ride. I enjoyed it even though I cold, wet and tired, you always do when you actually get out on the bike.

You've got the "regret" part right. If I say "screw it, maybe tommorrow" it doesn't sit very well with me. Get out there and do it. You'll feel a hell of a lot better than if you don't.

Dennis Noward
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    it's difficult at this time of year - no two ways about it!

reddraggon sound much more 'hardcore' than me!

I always find magazines keep the enthusiasm up - as does the odd new part for your bike even something simple.

and as a slightly alternative point of view -

It'll come back - it always does - don't feel too hard on yourself.
  • steve23
    ive just been sat on my ass all day, and now i feel worse for not riding!!!

its a viscious circle and its doing my head in!!!

a suppose i just need to boot myself up the ar$e and get back to it!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
  • redddraggon
    gkerr4 wrote:
    reddraggon sound much more 'hardcore' than me!

Nah, I'm from North Wales, I'd never much riding done if I didn't go out if it was raining or cold - I just learnt to live with it.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • steve23
    sorry to change the topic slightly, but where bouts in north wales are you?
  • redddraggon
    steve23 wrote:
    sorry to change the topic slightly, but where bouts in north wales are you?

I'm from Buckley.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    steve23 wrote:
    two weeks ago i was itching to get on my bike! but after a bad case of flu and conjunctivitis, now ive recovered, i find it a chore to get out of the door.

i really want to ride, but i just havent got the motivation at all, and i get pi$$ed of about the slightest thing!!!

before anyone says it, no i havent been overtraining, 1 ride in 3 weeks certainly not!!!

thanks
    I'm sure you'll get that chomping at the bit feeling again soon so don't worry. The key thing is not to put pressure on the 'type of ride' you're gonna do. Just take it fairly easy without pushing yourself. How about a starting with a ride to a nearby location and back. Say somewhere thirty minutes away; then turnaround and come back. Remember the longer you leave it the easier it becomes not to ride. The next thing you know its Febuary. :shock: :?
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Toks wrote:
    steve23 wrote:

thanks
    I'm sure you'll get that chomping at the bit feeling again soon so don't worry. The key thing is not to put pressure on the 'type of ride' you're gonna do. Just take it fairly easy without pushing yourself. How about a starting with a ride to a nearby location and back. Say somewhere thirty minutes away; then turnaround and come back. Remember the longer you leave it the easier it becomes not to ride. The next thing you know its Febuary. :shock: :?

this is exaclty right actually - just try and 'nip-out' every now and again and the interest will soon come back.

I (as much as anyone else) used to get hung up about "getting the miles in", or making sure that the `"weekend ride is a massive one" - or something - it is very hard to motivate yourself for a "massive" ride when it is blowing a gale and about 2deg C outside with horizontal sleet!

but if you say to yourself - "I'm going to get out at every opportunity. - even if it just for 20 mins" - what you find is that you really work hard in those 20 mins - I used to use a fixed gear bike - get some "traffic intervals" in (i.e. racing traffic!) and make it fun.
    those 20 minute interval sessions - 4 or 5 times a week cos you are motivated for them - count for a lot once spring comes round again!
    (you will also find that the 20 minutes becomes 30 becomes 40 - without noticing..)
  • Last week I had a day where the motivation dropped and I didn't ride. That's pretty unusual for me and so I tend to worry about it when it happens. The next day I decided the best way to ensure it didn't last was to make sure my ride would be something I knew I would enjoy. So I went track racing.

Ruth is right:
    - you need to understand what's behind the drop in mojo
    - then you can do something about it (it might be something simple or it might be something serious)
    - or you can become a fat lazy bastard :lol:

So get on the bike and go for a ride. Afterwards you'll probably wonder what you were on about.
  • mmm

One sign of depression is when people stop enjoying what they usually enjoy, so hope thats not it.

Their must be a reason for not doing what you enjoy so look the issue in the eyes and deal with it.

But above all be kind to yourself. There will be a reason just find it and deal with it.

:D
    I used to play Hockey but now I ride.... one day like the wind :)
  • I really like ruths idea and is bang on about the whole weekend ride must be a massive one. This has got to me a few times especially when my motivation is low. The prospect of riding for 4 hours in the cold and dark on a sunday morning when I could be in bed is really not that appealing but the feeling of guilt at only doing a 50 miler isfor some reason worse. Like you went out for all that effort and achieved naff all.

I think the pressure we put on ourselves as cyclists is sometimes unneccessary. Sure we all love riding and do it for our own reasons but surely if you don't want to ride just don't ride - perhaps in the long run when you change your mind set to have to ride at every opportunity and to a set intensity or mile base to I'll ride for a bit cos I want to maybe we'd all benefit.

Gats
  • my motivation has been low for a few weeks now, but i just find something else to do im not hardcore by any means, i have been going hiking instead recently.
  • BeaconRuth
    Toks wrote:
    I'm sure you'll get that chomping at the bit feeling again soon so don't worry.
    You're making an assumption that all cyclists get a 'chomping at the bit' feeling about riding their bikes. What if they don't?

Ruth

ps. I never do.
  • I really had no motivation this morning to go out this morning, I'd only had 4 hours, there was snow on the cars outside and it just started raining.

Gutted....... I was up and raring to go, but the cold I've felt coming for the last week knocked me off of my feet this weekend. 3 weeks without a ride now :(
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Try watchignga DVD of something like Paris - Roubaix where the weather was really manky (ie not the past couple of years) and the riders are still battering themselves stupid.
    Give yourself something to look forwrd to when you return - I often make up a bowl of porridge that I put in the fridge with loads of fruit etc in it also that I can zap in the microwave and have a satisfying meal a few minutes after I get back.
    Arrange to meet up for the ride - 3 or 4 hrs on your tod in poor weather is hard-going but a 15 minute ride to meet-up with even 1 other person makes the next 3hrs far easier.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Early days yet - I've not even started back riding for next year, I'm just going out once a week with the club for 30 miles steady for the social aspect.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Si C
    Si C Posts: 130
    I know how you feel. I have set myself goals through the winter months that are proving unachieveble, due to time constraints more than anything else. I also, for the past few weekends, have ridden with a new local buddy. This guy is so competitve he just wants to race all the time, also, I get dropped like a stone on the bigger hills with him. Yesterdays ride has left me feeling that even after adding a weekly spinning class and buying a turbo that i'm going backwards.
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Toks wrote:
    I'm sure you'll get that chomping at the bit feeling again soon so don't worry.
    You're making an assumption that all cyclists get a 'chomping at the bit' feeling about riding their bikes. What if they don't?

Ruth

ps. I never do.
    Wow Ruth what gave you that idea :D I think Steve said he was 'itching to get out of the door' which to me at least translates as - I can't wait to get going, chomping at the bit whatever. How people motivate themselves will differ in all cases - a chance to try out a new loop, try out some new gear, show mates how much fitter you are, beat a time, race, train, loose weight, save money commuting; fear; yes indeed fear of failing is a great motivator; who cares if it works for you and its not harming anyone - do it. Are you saying you weren't motivated to train for any of the events you did so well in this year :?
  • steve23
    thanks for all of the tips and advice guys!

its given me some things to think about, so thanks for that!!!
  • BeaconRuth
    Toks wrote:
    Wow Ruth what gave you that idea :D I think Steve said he was 'itching to get out of the door' which to me at least translates as - I can't wait to get going, chomping at the bit whatever.
    Fair dos. He did say that. I stand corrected. Apologies.

Ruth
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    If I'm lacking in motivation it often helps if I'm cycling to get somewhere. Do you commute to work on the bike at the moment? Perhaps you could cycle to the gym or something? At least that way you're keeping your legs ticking over whilst doing something else rather than simply riding for the sake of riding.