Training whilst away from access to a bike

Ashley_R
Ashley_R Posts: 408
I'm going to be away with work for 3 weeks with no chance of actually riding a proper bike.

The only option for exercise I'll have is in a gym, as I'm trying to stick to a winter training regime for my timetrialling next summer I obviously can't do much base work for the next few weeks.

Whats my best option, try and stick out as long as I can on an exercise bike (which my threshold is about 30 mins) or do some work with weights?

Just worried about missing a chunk of training and undoing the work I'm trying to do for next year!

Also tempted by being stuck in a hotel with the bar calling every night!! :wink: Was away for a month earlier in the year and put on nearly a stone!! :?
You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead

Comments

• You could do worse than use the time to improve your core strength - winter is a useful time to work on this, and should ensure you stay more or less injury free during the racing season, especially keeping you free from back pain.. Pilates/Yoga/exercises with a Swiss ball are all good for this. Plenty of good books in most decent bookshops.

When I'm away with work, with only access to a gym (sadly quite frequent at the moment), I try and run a couple of times a week - usually outside (10 - 15 miles at a time - take a Camelbak and if necessary, a gel too), or break up some cross training in the gym - ie 20 - 30 minutes on a cross trainer, rowing machine, treadmill (though these aren't as good as running outside) or a hand bike. If you're away with colleagues, get them to bring some kit too, and then you can earn a relaxing post gym/run drink (singular) in the bar afterwards.
    We are all full of weakness and errors; let us mutually pardon each other our follies - it is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Ashley_R wrote:
    I'm going to be away with work for 3 weeks with no chance of actually riding a proper bike.

The only option for exercise I'll have is in a gym, as I'm trying to stick to a winter training regime for my timetrialling next summer I obviously can't do much base work for the next few weeks.

Whats my best option, try and stick out as long as I can on an exercise bike (which my threshold is about 30 mins) or do some work with weights?
    Make your training as event-specific as possible. Do weight training for body aethestics, general fitness or if you're about to make an assault on track sprinting. If time trialling is your goal then threshold efforts (90-95% of race intensity) in blocks of 15 or 20 mins (e.g. 2 x 20 or 3 x 15 mins) each sandwiched with a five min break will see you hold on to a lot of your fitness.
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    I HATE GYMS!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Been away from a bike for over a week now, 12 days till I can get out again properly, really struggling to stay motivated staring at a wall on an exercise bike and weights bore me, give me an 80 mile slog in the freezing cold and wet any day!!

Trying to think up motivational themes, the only one that keeps springing to mind is beer, not the winter trianing regime I had in mind! :shock:
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead