soya v dairy

are there any downsides to using soya products instead of dairy.i have been using soya milk yoghurt etc for a couple of years but have just read that soya will surpess male hormones(does that mean my hair wont fall out)i also notice that certain energy food drinks companys state that there products are made from whey and not soya.so should i switch back,i made the switch to soya on the advice that cows milk was bad for us.

Comments

• nipon
    nipon Posts: 68
    Cows milk is bad for us,what you on man? :D
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    There do seem to be some significant questions about possible adverse health effects of cow's milk (including cancer, Crohn's disease), though it also has health benefits. Soy or Soya milk also has pro's and con's, though the con's appear to be fewer and of less significance. Unfortunately the research is not conclusive. Soy milk if with added calcium seems to have all the benefits of cow's milk and fewer of the risks. There is said to be an effect on testosterone production, but personally I could do with that being toned down a bit!

Personally, I am not keen on cows milk, I wonder if non-organic methods of production mean we get milk plus toxins, hormones and antibiotics, and the means of producing dairy products is cruel. Soy milk tastes foul though - until you get used to it.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    are there any downsides to using soya products instead of dairy.i have been using soya milk yoghurt etc for a couple of years but have just read that soya will surpess male hormones(does that mean my hair wont fall out).

It won't make your hair fall out - but it might make you grow breasts!

No - seriously - it really might
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Why did I read the topic title as a comparison between a shimano groupset and something else :oops:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • alfablue
    me too - I read it as "Sora V ????" I thought that was probably a new SRAM budget gruppo.
  • alfablue
    gkerr4 wrote:
    are there any downsides to using soya products instead of dairy.i have been using soya milk yoghurt etc for a couple of years but have just read that soya will surpess male hormones(does that mean my hair wont fall out).

It won't make your hair fall out - but it might make you grow breasts!

No - seriously - it really might
    As my excess testosterone has already made my hair fall out, I have decided I would have preferred breasts instead! :cry:
  • nipon
    The means of producing dairy products is in no way cruel,this country has some of the strictest rules in hygiene and animal welfare,dairy cattle are not fed hormones,its america that they are used in beef cattle,they are illegal in the uk.and dairy cows that have been given antibiotics have a milk withdraw period of 7 to 14 days depending on the drugs used. What people dont know is organic herds still use drugs they just have a longer withdraw period.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Glad I'm not the only one to admit their stupidity :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • alfablue
    nipon wrote:
    The means of producing dairy products is in no way cruel,this country has some of the strictest rules in hygiene and animal welfare,dairy cattle are not fed hormones,its america that they are used in beef cattle,they are illegal in the uk.and dairy cows that have been given antibiotics have a milk withdraw period of 7 to 14 days depending on the drugs used. What people dont know is organic herds still use drugs they just have a longer withdraw period.
    So tell me, what happens to the unwanted male calves?
  • alfablue
    On second thoughts, don't bother, I am a vegetarian (there, I outed myself) and I am never going to persuade someone from cattle country. Lets just look at the benefits or otherwise to humans. :evil:
  • nipon
    they are reared on for beef, a few years ago some were getting shot and used for dog food,but this has stoped now as beef prices have gone up.wether they are shot at birth or 30 months later and put in tescos dousnt realy make any difference.
  • alfablue
    No, you're right, it's cruel either way.
  • nipon
    You are a vegetarian, i am a farmer, we could argue all night so i agree to disagree :D
  • alfablue
    agreed
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    raw milk or just milk that hasn't been pasturised is aparantly better for stuff like recovery and it does taste better I think (I'm another farmer) and I think it does work for recovering after a ride.

all the fuss people make about the fat in milks a waste of time as well cos by the time they've taken the fat out,pasteurised it and all the other processes they do once it goes off up the road in the lorry :arrow: the taste's gone.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    that's very civilized gentlemen - well done!