Do you like this jacket or is it poncy?

antfly
antfly Posts: 3,276
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
northwave-89181098-zoom.jpg
Hi,I was wondering what people`s opinion of this jacket is because I like it but my taste is questionable and I was wondering if other roadies would approve or think i was a poser and a t#at if i wore it. :?
Smarter than the average bear.

Comments

• Looks a bit off road to me. Do you have the same physique as that bloke in the pic? If so, then maybe, otherwise not.

What the hell am doing commenting on 'fashion'?

Outa here.
  • antfly
    I think i could carry it off in the physique department,but i don`t like to blow my own trumpet.I just don`t want to be shunned for looking too good. :wink:
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    its the font and style of the wording of tatu i dont like. anyways if you are having second thoughts, find some other jacket with same materials and bit more plain styling. northwave are prone to weirdo styling. i have this
  • antfly
    The word tatu doesn`t appear anywhere on the jacket,though.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Just as well
    tatu :shock:
  • antfly
    I remember them,they had a hit by pretending to be schoolgirl lesbians,lesbianism was all the rage at the time.Lesbian chic,it was called.Whatever happened to lesbians,they just went out of fashion.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I agree, your taste is questionable; on the other hand I have a sneaking admiration for people with the guts to wear such things, which I don't.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    You'll need to get some matching tattoos so you can maintain the look in the summer...
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    you will get stoned in the street if you wear that in public

unless it is very dary and then you might get away with it.

:lol:

not my taste right enough - but if you like it then get it.
  • No...........really no. :shock:

Not cool.
    "If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Two questions:
    1. Are you out and proud?
    2. Do you live in Brighton?

If you can't answer yes to at least one of those questions, I'd give it a miss :wink:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Why are there zips on the sleeves?
    I think it could do with a splash of colour. Doh! :wink:
    It's not the size of dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.
  • gb-locks wrote:
    Why are there zips on the sleeves?

Can you unzip them for ventilation - like 'pit-zips' but better placed to catch the airflow? Or, worse, are the sleeves detachable so that you can wear them independantly of the torso bit?

I would need to be paid in order to wear it, btw :(
  • Stuff it all, we all look like freaks compared with Jo Public anyway.

As an aside, I live in Brighton, and not gay but would be happy to wear almost anything on the bike save some of that dodgy 80s MTB neon lycra crap. Bula - I think not.

If you like it, buy it. Better that than regret it later.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm definitely NOT cool enough to wear something like that.

Dennis Noward
  • I wouldn't worry about it, I have a Rockrider off road jacket I wear on my road bike which is similar to yours.
    May the wind always be at your rear!
  • Do I like the jacket? - NO

Is it poncy? - Who knows - just not my style.
  • antfly
    The sleeves do come off but there is another version where they don`t.

I`m getting a mostly negative vibe,but I still like it and i`m definately hetrosexual.I should add I haven`t bought it yet and i need more encouragement to take the plunge,does anyone like it! :?:
  • elscorcho
    elscorcho Posts: 44
    edited December 2008
    I say to hell with what other people would think of you wearing that jacket-it's you who will be wearing it so go for it if you like it enough! ;) I do like the look of the jacket but I am not sure if I would look cool or a bit of a dork wearing it! :wink:

I have seen some professional male cyclists wearing bright pink vests and I don't think they are thinking about what others think of them as they should be too busy trying to win! ;)

http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php/p ... 17/cat/594 check that guy out! :lol:

If you did get that jacket and wear it you should be too busy having fun cycling to be thinking about other peoples perceptions of you! ;)

It does look like off road clothing to me as someone else said previously!!
  • dennisn
    Looking at it again it probably is "pouncy"(and I'm not even sure what that means - from the states you know). Fashion wise, no for me, but function is what really matters and if
    it works, well, that's what counts. At the very least everyone will notice you in traffic.

Dennis Noward
  • mrkwr
    mrkwr Posts: 11
    Do you like this jacket or is it poncy?

Who says those are exclusive categories?
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    I think it's sexy. But that may be more to do with the bloke in the picture.... 8)

Must admit though, that I generally think most guys look v. stylish in lycra - unless it's neon, or baggy. Those are really the only categories to avoid at all costs: baggy and tent-like, or neon yellow are just BAD, BAD, BAD
  • croggy
    croggy Posts: 116
    dennisn wrote:
    Looking at it again it probably is "pouncy"(and I'm not even sure what that means - from the states you know). Fashion wise, no for me, but function is what really matters and if
    it works, well, that's what counts. At the very least everyone will notice you in traffic.

Dennis Noward

"Poncy"=a bit gay
  • antfly
    Something like that.Anyway Blonde think it`s sexy and it`s nice to get a feminine viewpoint.I assume Blonde is a lady anyway,the pic is inconclusive,it could be a camp bloke. :wink:
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I quite like it, I don't know about being poncey, it looks like a ski jacket. I wouldn't wear it, but it looks warm.
  • dennisn
    croggy wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Dennis Noward

"Poncy"=a bit gay

I sort of thought that. :wink:
    dennis noward
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    croggy wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Dennis Noward

"Poncy"=a bit gay

I think we might be misleading our American friend - a ponce is a man living off the profits of prostitution. Unlikely to be gay, but very likely to wear that jacket.
  • I think it falls foul of the Euro Cyclists rules :wink: . It looks a bit too Mountain Bikey* for me.

*Mockney rhyming slang for gypsy :lol:
  • Hell get it, life's too short to worry about what folk think.

Word of advice though - try not to pout like Mr Model, or folk definitely will snigger (and you'll deserve it).
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    it's not for me.... buth there again, you won't look like every other bugger wearing plain colours
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight