The White Rose Classic is to be held on the 19th July 2009.

bobh
bobh Posts: 163
The White Rose Classic is on for 2009 and is to be held on the 19th July.

For further information view www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bobh wrote:
    The White Rose Classic is on for 2009 and is to be held on the 19th July.

For further information view www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk[/b]

Well that's very positive....I'm glad you have managed to find it possible to run the event next year...especially since the WRC sets the bench mark for standards....this years event was tremendous.

I'm dead interested in the creation of a new route a tad more northernly...theres a good few areas still to be discovered in the sportive scene....

P.s the link you left doesn't work properly...thi should be ok:-

http://www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk/index.php?page=index
  • bobh
    Hi Rich it works better without the f/b) bit that seems to have crept in from somewere. www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk should do.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Do you really think it's so very positive ?
    BC Yorkshire Chairman Bob Howden says of the Agreement:
    For all those who have been involved with the event this has to be a "win-win" situation.

It would have been more positive and more 'win-win' if we hadn't had all that was written in the other thread on here about the disagreements between BC Yorkshire and Derek Boocock.
  • bobh
    Yes Andy, there was a lot written on forums, but not from this source. As was said in an earlier email it's time to move on. All those who have been involved in the WRC since its inception had no wish other than to see it continue.
  • Anonymous
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Do you really think it's so very positive ?
    BC Yorkshire Chairman Bob Howden says of the Agreement:
    For all those who have been involved with the event this has to be a "win-win" situation.

It would have been more positive and more 'win-win' if we hadn't had all that was written in the other thread on here about the disagreements between BC Yorkshire and Derek Boocock.

I disagree completely....Booboo is now running the White Rose Challenge as far as I know...he resigned from the White Rose Classic January 2007...and he will now be running thie White Rose Challenge with another organisation....fair enough...

The White Rose Classic over the years has set the benchmark for Standards on Sportives...and this year on the WRC it was just so professional and well managed...the feed stations were incredible...it was a fantastic experience....Now I know that the same team will now be creating another stonker of a route in the more Northern Dales...for me as a Sportive Rider, I think its wonderful....now there will be another sportive in this smashing place...

Yes, it was shame there was disagreements between Booboo and BC but both parties have moved on and seem very happy...and we will now have another gem of a route in the York Dales as a bonus....very happy I am.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I'm looking forward to it as well!
  • Booboocp
    Booboocp Posts: 1,156
    Richyboy your info is way off, I did not resign in January 2007 and in fact was still handling emails and letters right up to the event in 2008!

Whatever I've no wish to bring it all up again, but for people to try to intimate I was not involved is just plain nasty. Just because myself and my wife had to step aside does not mean we stopped. You're making a big thing about how good it was in 2008 (of which I was a part of), well let's see what people say about 2009's event, albeit called the White Rose Challenge.

Also I think you'll find the BC team will not be involved with the Kudu bikes event, as this does not give them the break which Bob stated they needed. Of course I could be wrong and they have backtracked.

Let the riders speak AFTER both events have taken place, I'm more than happy to be judged on mine. It WILL be better than previous years and that's not knocking anyone, just a fact that I have better resources than when BC ran it and saw what could be improved for myself. Time will tell though.
    <b>Event Website:</b> http://www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Booboocp wrote:
    Richyboy your info is way off, I did not resign in January 2007 and in fact was still handling emails and letters right up to the event in 2008!

Whatever I've no wish to bring it all up again, but for people to try to intimate I was not involved is just plain nasty. Just because myself and my wife had to step aside does not mean we stopped. You're making a big thing about how good it was in 2008 (of which I was a part of), well let's see what people say about 2009's event, albeit called the White Rose Challenge.

Also I think you'll find the BC team will not be involved with the Kudu bikes event, as this does not give them the break which Bob stated they needed. Of course I could be wrong and they have backtracked.

Let the riders speak AFTER both events have taken place, I'm more than happy to be judged on mine. It WILL be better than previous years and that's not knocking anyone, just a fact that I have better resources than when BC ran it and saw what could be improved for myself. Time will tell though.

Guess you'll be needing some pro mo pictures then. :lol: I'm up for it how about you Rich, could do with some better conditions though this time. :lol:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Booboocp
    John,

I will be organising training rides around the different routes (yes I'm back riding myself!!) so I'll post details on here. Also there will be information and help available on the website to new (or anyone who finds it useful) sportive riders to help them get their training sorted, keep an eye on the website for more details coming soon.

:D
  • Anonymous
    Booboocp wrote:

. You're making a big thing about how good it was in 2008 (of which I was a part of),

Derek,

I only stated that you resigned in January as very early this year I remember you getting systematically barred from the Cyclosport website.(it may have been February?)...and then you stated you were resigning from the WRC and were majorly dissappointed wishing things could have been better and you had hoped your name would always be associated with the WRC...and I clearly remember the amount of well wishers (at the time your illness was proving a struggle if I also remember right)...so if I have caused offence it was not intended...however I do remember clearly bad goings on with posts getting reeled of here and on Cyclosport. I know you were still involved somewhat as you were the official photographer and I do remember you stated you were still handling entries etc....but I know you actually stepped down from the major running of things around then.

And yes I am making a big deal of the 2008 event...you know why?...its the only time I ever rode it......and the reason I rode it?....as in 2007 it was voted as one of the best ever Sportifs...so it was becuase of the previous 2 runnings I sighned up in the firt place.

But this 'Classic' route is something new...and will be very different from your 'Challenge' route...so no problem?...

Kudu with help from BC will run the Classic
    You with new organisation will run the Challenge.

No problem.
  • OFOAB
    OFOAB Posts: 905
    I've ridden WRC every event. Last year was a total disaster with me coming in amongst the last 10 - 15 places on the long course. I was disappointed to see this year's shenanigans but heartened to see Derek has got a handle on organising something in June at which I can, hopefully, restore my battered self-esteem. I've got a lot of faith in his abilty to deliver a great event, especially if BC interference is out of the way.

I'll be very disappointed if I don't get an entry

Sock it to 'em DB!
    I wish I was any place but the someplace I\'m in
  • OFOAB
    I've ridden WRC every event. Last year was a total disaster with me coming in amongst the last 10 - 15 places on the long course. I was disappointed to see this year's shenanigans but heartened to see Derek has got a handle on organising something in June at which I can, hopefully, restore my battered self-esteem. I've got a lot of faith in his abilty to deliver a great event, especially if BC interference is out of the way.

Sock it to 'em DB!
  • OFOAB

Sock it to 'em DB!
  • OFOAB
    Ive ridden WRC every event. Last year was a total disaster with me coming in amongst the last 10 - 15 places on the long course. I was disappointed to see this year's shenanigans but heartened to see Derek has got a handle on organising something in June at which I can, hopefully, restore my battered self-esteem. I've got a lot of faith in his abilty to deliver a great event, especially if BC interference is out of the way.

Sock it to 'em DB!
  • OFOAB
    Sorry - got carried away with trying to post.
  • bobh
    Interesting perspective OFOAB BC Yorkshire certainly did "interfere" in the Organisation of all 3 White Rose Classics even to the point of giving it its name.
  • Anonymous
    OFOAB wrote:
    Ive ridden WRC every event. Last year was a total disaster with me coming in amongst the last 10 - 15 places on the long course. I was disappointed to see this year's shenanigans but heartened to see Derek has got a handle on organising something in June at which I can, hopefully, restore my battered self-esteem. I've got a lot of faith in his abilty to deliver a great event, especially if BC interference is out of the way.

Sock it to 'em DB!

Are you a relation of DB?.......

As a normal impartial fella would never deliver this dribble 3 or 4 times repeatably in the same topic...
  • OFOAB
    [quote="RICHYBOYcp"

Are you a relation of DB?.......

As a normal impartial fella would never deliver this dribble 3 or 4 times repeatably in the same topic...[/quote]

Nope!

Big c*ck-up on "preview/submit" boxes, which I did acknowledge.
  • Taking a look at the long route on offer - it looks absolutely superb.

Not having ridden this route in totality before, is anybody able to identify a comparable type event for ascents/difficulty etc? Would love to know in order that I can put in place the appropriate training before hand.

What I do know is that quite a few hills are buggers! Eg, the climbs out of Upper Wharfedale and that long drag towards Ribblehead from Hawes - not particularly steep but awfully draining.

My knowledge is scant about the route profile south of Grassington towards Otley.

I love this part of the country and cannot wait to ride the route! It will make a change from my usual stamping ground of Wales.
  • Hugh_P
    Hugh_P Posts: 12
    that long drag towards Ribblehead from Hawes - not particularly steep but awfully draining.
    Not steep! I've never heard Coal Road called that and there is also a stiffish climb out of Dentdale to Newby Head. Grassington to Otley is best descibed as rolling unil you get to Langbar where there is a similarly 'not steep' :wink: hill.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Hugh_P wrote:
    that long drag towards Ribblehead from Hawes - not particularly steep but awfully draining.
    Not steep! I've never heard Coal Road called that and there is also a stiffish climb out of Dentdale to Newby Head. Grassington to Otley is best descibed as rolling unil you get to Langbar where there is a similarly 'not steep' :wink: hill.
    Sounds like he's thinking of the B6255 rather than the Coal Road!
  • Philip

How do you know the route already :?:
    I've had a look on the website, and there ain't nothing there, and Kudu bikes said they will post the details shortly.

Where you getting your insider info from ?

Cheers :D
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Philip

How do you know the route already :?:
    I've had a look on the website, and there ain't nothing there, and Kudu bikes said they will post the details shortly.

Where you getting your insider info from ?

Cheers :D

I think that Philip is talking about the previous route. This route, rather confusingly will go under the name of the White Rose Challenge and will be run again in June by different organisers.
    The new White Rose Classic will be run by British cycling/Kudu bikes in July. I have heard suggestions that it will include some new climbs to the British sportive scene, and will start and finish in Hawes. I can't wait!
  • Booboocp
    I was not going to respond, but why not seeing as how folks are having a dig at me.

What would have made sense is if I had been allowed to use the name White Rose Classic and the new event had chosen a new name, especially as it has now moved from the route associated with that name and it and is being run from Hawes by Kudu Bikes.

The Kudu Bikes Classic would have made far more sense.

Anyway it's too late now and I've moved on, shame others cannot.

http://www.whiterosechallenge.co.uk
  • pprince
    pprince Posts: 141
    Booboocp wrote:
    I was not going to respond, but why not seeing as how folks are having a dig at me.

What would have made sense is if I had been allowed to use the name White Rose Classic and the new event had chosen a new name, especially as it has now moved from the route associated with that name and it and is being run from Hawes by Kudu Bikes.

why don't/didn't you change the name of your ride to something else?... thats moving on, trying to retain as much of the name as you can is just digging your heels in to make a point...and posting the above clearly shows you haven't 'moved on'

pride is a bitter pill to swallow but its a pet hate of mine when someone says one thing and does the other

shows weakness, which is a shame :?
  • Booboocp
    and your solution is to keep it going by sh*t stirring then?
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Guys - it is only a sportive you know - it is a bloody good one but hardly worth falling out over. My wife is away working this week and so I have the sole charg of the young pdstsps and, in the words I used to them not ten minutes ago "CALM sodding DOWN"

The deal appears to be done - two sportives in Yorkshire on different weekends run by different people - now lets all forget everything else and get fit enough to do ourselves justice.

pprince you sit in one corner with your hands on your knees
    booboocp you sit in the hall and think about your actions

I'll be ringing your parents later.
  • JLC
    JLC Posts: 39
    I posted this on the cyclosport forum last week.

"I helped out as a volunteer on the feed stations at both the Ryedale Rumble and White Close Classic this year, having nothing to do with Derek or British Cycling. I think it is really sad that the White Rose Classic / Challenge are highly likely to be known in future for all the arguments on here and bikeradar rather than the events itself. After having given up my day to help out and working as hard as possible to help people on a feed station I find this disappointing. We should be looking back and reflecting on the events and the positive comments the WRC classic received this year. We should be also looking forward to the Classic and also the Challenge this year.

These arguments have really made me consider whether I will volunteer again. Why should I give up a weekend and help out, when the only thing that happens after the event are constant public arguments, mainly between the people who have organised it in the past and looking to organise things in the future. These people appear unable to keep the arguments in private, and just keep on wanting to comment on each others events whenever they have the opportunity. They just cannot help themselves it appears.

So I think it is now time that the Classic people stick to organising a great Classic and stop posting anything at all about the Challenge. The Challenge organisers should stop posting anything about the Classic and concentrate on making at a great Challenge.

So I lay down the challenge and see if they can do that, and let us see what happens."
  • Booboocp wrote:

Who is having a dig at you? your paranoia is quite incredible! or self centred either way all you ever promote is me, me, me! originally i was quite prepared to back you on this but the more i find out about you and the people you belittle, but at the same time hide behind difficulties which is absolutely appalling.
    Your event deserves to be a success, but not because of you but the actual route, which is what its all about, the ride!! which is more than can be said for the unholy alliance you've formed elsewhere, and should have people questioning your integrity.
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com