Tesco 3W Cree LED Torches - first ride!

13»

Comments

• http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-8191.aspx
    12quid

Not sure about P&P
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Oh thats a D cell ? And the ones we're using are AAs ?
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    It's more complicated than that, even!

The website shows a 4W, 2xD cell "large" at £18 and a 3W "small" at £12. The website says the small uses Ds, too but the one I got in store runs on Cs...
    I think the website is wrong- the C-based one I have is definitely labelled as 3W and warrants being described as "small".

I havn't seen the AA versions.

Cheers,
    W.
  • There's a large 4 Watt D Cell torch for £18 that contains a SSC LED

There's a smaller 3 Watt C Cell torch for £12 that contains a Cree LED

There's an even smaller 3 Watt AA Cell torch for £10 that contains a Cree LED
  • sb2901
    sb2901 Posts: 3
    I bought a 3w one 2months ago from salisbury tesco, it is super-bright and am v happy with it. However, after loosing a dog one evening in the new forrest i rushed to get 2 more - this time in southampton tesco. Now these two look identical however they DO NOT have a Cree LED! Total output is close to half of the Cree one and the spot is around 1/3rd less bright.

So watch out for this non-Cree development. If u look v closely at the reflector the Cree one has white body which u will see round the edges of the lens - however it's difficult through the packaging to see this clearly. The poorer ones have a clear lens and no white plastic is visable. Another check is to take out plastic disc breaking battery circuit ans switch one. The Cree torch has a warm colour while the cheap ones are a cool blue. Withh all the packaging round the lens it's not clear one is less bright than another.

Having said that the non-Cree one is still very good value but shame on tesco for this little trick - which it may be.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I bought one of these in Taunton as my light was playing up and I had 15 miles left to get home.
    The batteries as supplied didn't last for 15 miles
    Don't depend on the freebie batteries in these torches
  • Thought i'd resurrect this topic, as I've just bought 2 Tesco CREE LED torches priced at £12, however they take C batteries, man they're bright, my 2 lock blocks have just arrived this morning aswell, I will be going for a night cycle tonight to see how they fare !
    That's my 2 cents,

Paul
    Wakefield

Hybrid - Scott Sportster P5 2009
    Road - Trek 1.5 2010

strava
    twitter
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Used mine last night in Weston and had a car give way to me, might have had the aim of the torch a little high TBH.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Just tried them out, very impressed with them.
    On the completely unlit trail I was more than happy as I could see seriously far infront, as redvee said on the lit road I may need to only use 1 and angle it down more as they do dazzle a bit. :lol:
    That's my 2 cents,

Paul
    Wakefield

Hybrid - Scott Sportster P5 2009
    Road - Trek 1.5 2010

strava
    twitter
  • I got a 2xAA last year and found it excellent as a helmet light, if a tad heavy,
    So, have just bought 2 x C cell torches, does anyone know if I can run them both from a 7.5v lupine battery or would it be better just to buy a 6v battery + charger...
    I'm just having them shortened at the moment, so hopefully I'll have them running by the weekend :D
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Anyone tried these recently? I see they are in store in my local.... worth a go?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Anyone tried these recently? I see they are in store in my local.... worth a go?

blimey this is a blast from the past isnt it?!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Think they might be the same/similar as the ones from Deal Extreme which I had on that night ride.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    I always check my local Tescos for them when there, hoping to see them again. Great torch.
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    Think they changed the spec of these from Cree to another type of LED. Not as good as the original.

If you have access to a Costco you can pick up x3 150 lum torches for £12 atm. I picked some up on Saturday. Brighter than the Tesco, high and low setting and a strobe. Run on 3AAA so not sure about the run time.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    suzyb
    The DX torches will be much brighter as they run off better batteries. (18650 cells vs AA/AAA)
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Wallace1492
    suzyb wrote:
    Think they might be the same/similar as the ones from Deal Extreme which I had on that night ride.

As Bails87 said.... yours will be brighter.

However saw them in Tesco's last night and was thinking about it, hence finding this thread!! Think I will buy one and see.
  • bails87
    I've got one in the car as an emergency torch. It's a hell of a lot better than a Maglite. But obviously not a patch on the magicshine stuff. Don't know if I've got the 'better' LED or not.
    MTB/CX

• I used two tesco 3w torches for one season operating on rechargeable Ni Mh batteries, the main advantage being the resiliance of having two main lights, i had no over heating problems and I thought them to be quite adequate. I did consider modifying a pair of the bigger Tesco torches but then discovered the magicshine. Although more expensive the Magicshine puts the Tesco solution/s in the shade and with much less fuss fixing it on the bike, changing and charging the batteries.

I still use my tesco's as hand held torches and very good at this they are too.
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • Wallace1492
    bails87 wrote:
    suzyb
    The DX torches will be much brighter as they run off better batteries. (18650 cells vs AA/AAA)

What if you stick in 18650 into the torch? it takes 2 AA.....

And I must say it is a very decent light for a £10. Might bring out tonight to see how it copes in the dark, wet woods.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I got one of these to mount the torch to my bike. It's a uk seller and came in a couple of days.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CYCLE-BIK ... 1013wt_929
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I bought some after this thread the first time round, all in all they are toss. Ok for a quick 10-15 min commute but over that they get hot and dim. If we move house over the winter I might bust them out again but that will be because my commute has extended from 1 mile to 2.5 miles. And I can't be bothered to set up/strip down my magicshine twice a day.
    Anything over that, get something from DX. Actually I might get something from DX anyway,
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • bails87

What if you stick in 18650 into the torch? it takes 2 AA.....
    You might need a hammer to encourage it to fit :wink:
    MTB/CX