Tesco 3W Cree LED Torches - first ride!

Comments

• boondog
    boondog Posts: 205
    wonder where you can buy velcro straps from without resorting to buying a lockblock ?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just velcro ? Ebay ? Haberdashers ?
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    I got one of these with the weekley shop last weekend after reading this thread. Must say I am well impressed with the output. Soon as I got home I dissapeared into the shed to see how I could mount it.

I have ended up using an old Halfords mini bike pump clip, the torch snaps in nice and tight with no play. Then it was just a case of fixing the clip to an old light mount. :D

Think I may get another this weekend, but that then opens up another how to mount it questeion.
  • cougie
    one on the bars - one on the helmet. Sorted.
  • cougie wrote:
    Just velcro ? Ebay ? Haberdashers ?

Tried plain stick on velcro stuck together back to back but you really need the buckle and it's nowhere near as strong as the woven velcro straps. I'd have probably used something else but I had a spare lockblock in a drawer.
  • nce21
    nce21 Posts: 16
    Anyone got a weight for it?
  • boondog
    boondog Posts: 205
    Robert Dyas have some red adjustable velcro straps, £3.79.
    red looks a bit weird, so I'm waiting until I find something black.
  • boondog wrote:
    wonder where you can buy velcro straps from without resorting to buying a lockblock ?

Are these what you are looking for? If so B&Q have them too.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    boondog wrote:
    Robert Dyas have some red adjustable velcro straps, £3.79.
    red looks a bit weird, so I'm waiting until I find something black.
    Who cares? It'll be dark.
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    boondog wrote:

PC World do packs of velcro cable ties in manly black.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • cougie
    nce21 wrote:
    Anyone got a weight for it?

Are you worried about the UCI minimum weight ?
  • girv73
    One torch is 160g with batteries, 100g without.
  • nce21
    nce21 Posts: 16
    girv73 wrote:
    One torch is 160g with batteries, 100g without.
    Thanks
  • ince
    Well I got another Tesco torch this weekend and have just finished making a mount for the bars. :D

If you want a cost effective alternative to the proper mounts the 22mm plastic pipe clips from B&Q are a good snap fit. Pack of 10 cost £1.80 ish and a small piece of predrilled bar was another 40p. I have used two of these clips bolted to the bar and then onto an old light mount.

Only draw back are the pipe clips are white and the bar light grey so I may give it a spray over with some black paint later. For the cost I can live with it. :D
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I had a look in me local tesco and none there. :(
  • got two in Tescos Bar Hill (nr Cambridge). They had loads of all types but I went for the AA's. Waited until it got dark and then shone them down the garden - a happy man.

Miles better than that crappy Cateye EL-530 that I wasted £40 (?) on last year.

David
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    The torch sounds ideal fro my frog hunting. :) Not too worried about it going on the bike - quite happy with my 510 :)
  • ince
    I picked up another 3 yesterday, one for me, the wife and friend at work who was also impressed by this little torch.

The Tesco in Helsby nr Chester still had a few. :D
  • Kaydee
    Kaydee Posts: 16
    I got 2 today at the Prestwich Tesco - one each for hubby and me. For the time being I thought I'd wrap a stretchy hairband over a little to-be-seen light already fitted and poke the torch through it - worked a treat! Only problem was hubby didn't like the colour :wink:

The (very innovative :D ) solution was to sew a black sock toe to cuff and use that instead - voila! They seem secure enough, but just in case they're not I've looped the wristband around the handlebars.

Our commute is mostly suburban, reasonably well lit roads, but now and then it can be just a bit darker than I would like, so I'm hoping these will do the trick.
  • girv73
    @ince can you post some pictures of your mounts? I'm not sure what you mean with the "pre drilled bar" part.

@Kaydee your commute sounds much like mine and I find the torches to be great for those conditions. I've noticed that pedestrians and drivers seem to be giving me a much wider berth since I fitted them. Top!
  • ince
    Sure will post some pic's when I get a chance.

The pre drilled bar can be found in with all the brackets etc for joinery. The small bar they do is 8cm long by 1cm wide ish and has 4 holes.
  • girv73 wrote:
    @ince can you post some pictures of your mounts? I'm not sure what you mean with the "pre drilled bar" part.

I mounted two to my handlebars using some hose clamps from B&Q

3043404554_6e171332ae.jpg

Running two on the bars and one on my helmet, here's the light output in a completely pitch black forest. Pics a bit blurry but it gives a good impression of the light.

2992394631_7ecedae854.jpg
  • cougie
    Nice pics !

Night riding for £20 - not bad eh ?
  • ince
    Ok got the pic's,

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/ ... chZg8nB2tw

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/ ... sSdvftSaZA

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/ ... azJWdu_qZw

..... the clips are a tight fit with no play. You can see the small bar on the first pic, the front clip has a long bolt that is attached to an old ring clamp off and old light. All solid and easy to take the lights off when you need to.

One thing people may see as a disadvantage is that the two torches are close and so do not give any wider spread of light that one. For me this is not an issue, I just want to point more light at the bit I am riding on. :D
  • girv73
    Thanks for the pics, ince - I see what you mean by the predrilled bar now :)
  • Tesco currently selling at £12!!! :roll: Quick everyone slag them off and the price might come back down....

I'm sure we can influence this :wink:
    R25

Ridgeback R25 - 1% bike
  • thats funny cos i bought 2 of the AA ones in my local Tezzers [Failsworth, Manchester still some left] and i paid £10 for each torch.

So now my project for the weekend is how to mount them in an aesthetic fashion. :roll:

I have been regarding all your ideas with interest but don't want to infringe copyright :wink:
    Commuter Surosa Toledo S34 Audax
    Best Bike Merida Road Race 901-18

In truth i love them both
  • Then my local one and the web site (http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-8191.aspx) is trying to rip me off!! Mind you I would get 12 Clubcard points
    R25

Ridgeback R25 - 1% bike
  • Peyote
    Peyote Posts: 2,189
    R25 Flyer wrote:
    Then my local one and the web site (http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-8191.aspx) is trying to rip me off!! Mind you I would get 12 Clubcard points

That's a different torch, the one £10 is a 2AA cell (battery) one, that's a 2 D cell one. I'm not sure you can even buy the former one on the web site, I think it's in-store only.
  • cougie
    Yeah - the AA one is only sold in store.

Do you think Tesco are looking at sales figures for this torch and trying to work out whats happening with it ? Then again - their bike light sales must have suffered !