Surrey Hills Training Run Starting at RP - 8/9th Nov

2»

Comments

• Just found out some info on the Quebrantahuesos 2009. It's on Saturday 20th June and registration opens at 10am on Monday 16th February - I'm pretty much there!
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Chaps,

I'm going to monitor the weather over the course of today and if it looks like its going to be torrential am going to suggest a switch to sunday.

Wind atleast has died down.

PS - Good work on the research front Art. I'm dead keen aswell, just need to suss out a plan of attack regarding the missus. Will chat on the weekend.

The long grazed legged one
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    The emu wrote:
    Chaps,

I'm going to monitor the weather over the course of today and if it looks like its going to be torrential am going to suggest a switch to sunday.
    I dont mind a little bit of rain, but dont want to get totally soaked as I dont really have any 'proper' rain gear.

The Emu wrote:
    PS - Good work on the research front Art. I'm dead keen aswell, just need to suss out a plan of attack regarding the missus. Will chat on the weekend.

Ditto, v.keen ++++ but not at 450 quid which that tour operator is suggesting. Surely a car share and driving down, or bucket shop flight and car hire and finding our own accommodation would be way cheaper (less than 200 a head?). I reckon you would have to be hot on the accommodation though, as it will be booked by tour companies way in advance, probably mostly booked already, and thats without making sure you get a place on the ride. :D
    Phipps wrote:
    Ooo, that looks like a fun route! Are you folks managing to get out and do this regularly? I can't make it this weekend, but might be able to - and would like to - in a couple of weeks time.
    Have a good ride this week, none the less!...
    Yeah we have gone every weekend for the past month since Rich-Ti got us off our butts and we started to ride togerther rather than nodding at eachother as we knocked out solitary lap after lap in the park (I think The Emu is the only one with the 100% attendance record). It is a nice ride, with the best hills that Surrey has to offer and some great descents too.

And of course - anyone who fancies a 70-miler is most welcome to come along its not cliquey we arent posers (except for The Emu 8)) nor bike snobs, we just like riding.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen wrote:
    [
    I dont mind a little bit of rain, but dont want to get totally soaked as I dont really have any 'proper' rain gear.

bunk the day off and go today.... there's an idea (looking out of window)
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    Lads, my cold is getting worse and my voice is starting to go. I am going to have to sit out tomorrow but will be back in force hopefully the next weekend.

As my last two appearances on the ride have resulted in punctures, perhaps the bogey will be off and you will all be puncture free.

Wilf, if the ride moves to Sunday can you text me? Extra day of recovery maybe is what I need

Thanks
  • The emu
    Lads, weathers looking ok. Some light showers in the morning around Dorking, but other than that is just going to be a bit gusty.

Assuming this doesn't change dramatically over the course of today/tonight I'm still in.

Refer http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ ... ather.html
    Berns12 wrote:
    Wilf, if the ride moves to Sunday can you text me? Extra day of recovery maybe is what I need

Will do mate, but reckon you might be waiting a week (which is probably not a bad thing).

Thought has crossed my mind.
    felgen wrote:
    Ditto, v.keen ++++ but not at 450 quid which that tour operator is suggesting.

Easily done. Lets take this one offline and discuss, as this is a subject in itself.
    phips wrote:
    Are you folks managing to get out and do this regularly? I can't make it this weekend, but might be able to - and would like to - in a couple of weeks time.

Yeah, as felgen said everyones more than welcome if they can ride the distance. Looking forward to summer....and stopping at a couple of those country pubs along the way :D What the heck, you can even slate my outfits like felgen.

Note to self, wear Team Lampre kit tomorrow just for felgen.:P

• felgen
    Le Poseur wrote:
    Note to self, wear Team Lampre kit tomorrow just for felgen.
    Then I will wear my sunnys just in case.

Really looking forward to it. I am feeling just a little stiff as I did some hill intervals last night (over Kingston Hill a few times) but should be fine by tomorrow, though I am sure Al will be feeling tasty and make us suffer up the hills again......

*Note to self press start on the Garmin when we ride...*
    Mididoctors2, where are you based? If you are viewing the thread you are obviously tempted to come and ride:D. If you are within travelling distance, then why not come along? Which reminds me, that Biondino chap expressed an interest in the original RP training group thread, but haven't seen him on here yet.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    felgen wrote:
    Mididoctors2, where are you based? If you are viewing the thread you are obviously tempted to come and ride:D. If you are within travelling distance, then why not come along? Which reminds me, that Biondino chap expressed an interest in the original RP training group thread, but haven't seen him on here yet.

I read this thread because it is a joy to watch a bunch of guys enter into the thing for real..

many a club has formed out of informal sunday rides

reminds me of being young

I'm north London and ride sat and sun out to Essex and Hertforshire way with a bunch of lads north of the water..

thinking of starting a sweepstake on how deep you guys go into winter...

time for bed
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm

• thinking of starting a sweepstake on how deep you guys go into winter...

Despite not being a regular attendee with these guys I would pick a date deep into the winter, even go for spring. As you have probably gathered Felgen et al are keen as mustard. Having seen them completely soaked through the other week I don't reckon Jack frost will stop them/us. (although the Auzzies will probably chicken out :wink:)
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Despite not being a regular attendee with these guys I would pick a date deep into the winter, even go for spring. As you have probably gathered Felgen et al are keen as mustard. Having seen them completely soaked through the other week I don't reckon Jack frost will stop them/us. (although the Auzzies will probably chicken out :wink:)
    I let the side down today, and am now really annoyed with myself! :oops: :evil:

Sorry chaps, felt like crap when I woke up and didn't want to be a burden. In hindsight I probably should have just got up and got on with it as I think I'd of been ok... :roll:

Problem is I'm now struggling to motivate myself to get out, dammit! :evil:
  • mididoctors
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    I let the side down today, and am now really annoyed with myself! :oops: :evil:

Sorry chaps, felt like crap when I woke up and didn't want to be a burden. In hindsight I probably should have just got up and got on with it as I think I'd of been ok... :roll:

Problem is I'm now struggling to motivate myself to get out, dammit! :evil:

it was warm....

I have never regretted a ride

i have regretted not going out
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

I guess the sweepstake is on the number who make it throu?
  • The emu
    Well what an action packed day.

3 of us started off well enough although the wind was tough and then the rain came. Not a downpour but enough to have us all saturated by the time we reached the base of box hill.

There was an unclosed road triathlon going up Box Hill so we all got motivated by the crowds encouragement going up it (and ovetaking a few entrants :wink: ).

Jackal that wasn't you sitting in the ambo at the base of Box Hill?

And then it happened - felgen lost it going around the hairpin halfway up, come a cropper and snapped his rear hangar. Had to run his bike the hill the rest of the way up to the canteen. First time I've beaten felgen (James) up to the top - I'll claim it :lol:

So after a quick cuppa Al and I left felgen to lick his wounds and wait for a ride home.

Thats when the torrent began. For a good 15 minutes couldn't even see 3 yards in front of me. :shock:

We could have almost swam home, and then, just to rub salt into the wound we rolled into Richmond Park like a couple of drowned rats and the sun comes out. :evil:

Missus was out when I got home so gave the bike a quick once over in the bathroom before she caught me (I live in a flat) before enjoying a very hot shower myself.

Anyway here are our stats (As a group of 2 & 1/2):

Distance - 86.45 km (we skipped leith hill due to time constraints)
    Avg Spd - 27.1km/hr

Looking forward to getting my waterproof overshoes for next ride, now need wateproof gloves as b the end I had water slosshing around the inside of my glove fingers :)

Can't make next weekend - watching the wallabies smash england at twickenham and will be celebrating our win with a few post match drinks :D....or comiserating. :cry:

• felgen
    Ho hum....

Well that was a schoolboy error on my part/ crap/ overinflated tyres. I had noticed a couple of squirmy rear end moments on the ride which I had not worried too much about prior to the little 'whoopsie'. As I rounded the hairpin I just went to stand out of the saddle to put in few big ones, felt the back end spin on some wet leaves/bare tarmac, and I couldn't catch it. No more than 10 mph, and I got my body down first to protect the bike but I was so unbelievably pissed off. As The Emu says I broke my bike (ok only some minor scratches on the hood and the rear mech. and pedal which should all buff out and a bent hanger- one is already on order to replace it, but more importantly we (Al and I) were hooning up the hill. Al says he got to the top in under 7 minutes and he slowed to see what was going on with me (as he was right behind) before getting back on with the task in hand - he might have managed 6.45. I don't know what I would have managed but it would have smashed my PB by a large margin. Yes Wilf beat me to the top :roll: I walked the rest of the way...
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Sorry chaps, felt like crap when I woke up and didn't want to be a burden.
    Stay off the sauce then ;)
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    Stay off the sauce then ;)
    Not sure what it was but it certainly wasn't a hangover! I managed a roller session this afternoon and still hope to ride tomorrow :roll:
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    I managed a roller session this afternoon....:roll:
    What this?.......
    roller1.jpg
    or this?.....
    roller2.jpg
    :lol:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    redsox.jpg

:lol:

(it would appear that putting "two fingers" in a google image search should only be done when nobody else can see your screen! :shock: :lol: )
  • felgen
    Touche :o well, I notice its a picture one of those ghastly baseball fans - what else would one expect from someone who doesnt know an off-spinner from a wrong-un....
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The emu wrote:

Jackal that wasn't you sitting in the ambo at the base of Box Hill?:

No not me mate. It's a little far from my patch. I felt for you guys while I was tucked up in my warm and dry truck although I did get soaked while trying to rescue a drunk guy from the middle of the road after he fell of his bike (at least he could blame the alcohol :wink: but then it was a Halfords special from 20 years ago).

Al, were you on the limit during your ascent of Boxhill? When I rode with you guys last time I got the impression you had plenty left in the tank. Admittedly you were a minute slower that time but 6.45 is pretty impressive, espcially if you have more to give.
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • I was doing everything I could to stick to Felglen's wheel until he lost it on the corner. The ascent was also cow-bell assisted!
    On the route back to RP I think we cycled through some of the heaviest rain I've experienced on a bike but a good ride nonetheless.
  • The emu
    ...and I made it up top of Box Hill in a leisurely 9:30....although reckon that was still about as twice as fast as the first time I went up there a few weeks back.

I noticed (without riding) that I had a flat today, so replaced the tube only to find myself pinching the replacement getting my tire on the rim. :evil:

Looking on the bright side could have been worse, I coiuld have done it in that rain 20 miles out of kingston :)

• felgen
    I was doing everything I could to stick to Felglen's wheel until he lost it on the corner. The ascent was also cow-bell assisted!
    Al you are very modest! I always get the impression you are just being polite and staying behind while I grunt and puff on the way up so as not to embarass me !
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen wrote:
    Touche :o well, I notice its a picture one of those ghastly baseball fans - what else would one expect from someone who doesnt know an off-spinner from a wrong-un....

I think the original pic the kid is a feyenoord fan, someone has shopped in the red sox logo. & could you tell a curveballl from a slider or a change-up ? :)
    <a>road</a>
  • felgen
    Hmm- thinking about it I am sure I have seen that picture elsewhere before. Either way he lookins like he has been brought up well :shock:

As for my bike. The new part (and a spare which will go in the saddle pack!) is on order, and apart form a couple of minor scratches looks all shiny again...
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    So what's the plan for this coming weekend? Anyone about?

Might stick a new thread up and see what the take-up is like - at the moment I'm undecided as I'm supposed to be seeing Bill Bailey in London on Sat night but not sure I can be bothered so am selling the tickets... however if they don't sell I'll be going as it's cost me too much to not bother!! In which case I'll be up for a ride.

If they sell and the weather is good my current plan is to ride south to Worthing (home) on Sat and ride back Sun 8)