Surrey Hills Training Run Starting at RP - 8/9th Nov

The emu
The emu Posts: 347
Well here it is - lets see if these rides can go 4 weeks in a row.

For those interested, will be approx 70 mile round trip in Surrey Hills starting at Richmond Gate, Richmond Park, and doing a few climbs including Leith Hill and Box Hill.

All and sundry welcome

The long grazed legged one

Comments

• Need to be back to base by 12ish so early one good for me.
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    At the moment I'm out, but as I've not heard from the person I'm supposed to be going to New York on Thurs with yet, that could change! :lol:
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Need to be back to base by 12ish so early one good for me.

Is that cos you are riding to John O'Groats in the afternoon ;)
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Aye, there and back - you up for it :lol:
  • felgen
    edited November 2008
    Aye, there and back - you up for it :lol:

Nah, not far enough :shock:

On a more serious note, can I assume that the 100% vote for the early start means that we are getting, um, keen?

Oh and 70 miles, getting back by 12 is average 17.5 mph (28.15km/h for our Antipodean friends!). If we manage that, that would be pretty impressive - doable, but would require no farting around working out which way to go (Wilf assures me that his 705 is sorted) and sticking to wheels on the flat and up hills...
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The emu
    Saturday weather update - clear skies and a scorching 11 degrees 8)

I'm happy to drop Leith Hill off for a week to shave some time off the ride if need be aswell.

• felgen
    The emu wrote:
    Saturday weather update - clear skies and a scorching 11 degrees 8)

I'm happy to drop Leith Hill off for a week to shave some time off the ride if need be aswell.

Nah see my post - just ride faster :twisted:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    Blimey chaps, am I going to be able to keep up with you lot next time I'm out?! :shock:
  • felgen
    edited November 2008
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Blimey chaps, am I going to be able to keep up with you lot next time I'm out?! :shock:

Twas merely a suggestion, I am not saying the ride has to be a spew-fest after all its supposed to be fun, but I for one do enjoy pushing myself and feeling the burn but I could find another time and place to do that....
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    All meant in jest of course - I'm more than happy with hard rides or easy rides... not sure I'm ready for a 70 mile spew-fest just yet, but then my intent to have a crack at Quebrantahuesos is gathering pace so maybe I should ramp up to spew-fest soon?...!! :lol:

Still uncertain on whether or not I'm off to NYC this weekend - should be able to confirm either way tomorrow :shock:
  • Rich-Ti wrote:

the guys who stitch these rides together over winter.. week in week out .. are going to be smoking come spring
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    my intent to have a crack at Quebrantahuesos is gathering pace...

Go on, you know you want to...

I note 5 votes have been cast for an early doors saturday ride. Does that mean 5 attendees? :shock:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Oh yes, I definitely do want to! Problem is the 4-day MTB holiday I've said yes to which is also in Spain, and barely a week before it! :roll: :lol:
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Oh yes, I definitely do want to! Problem is the 4-day MTB holiday I've said yes to which is also in Spain, and barely a week before it! :roll: :lol:

Then just stay out there for the duration and do them both. In fact ride to it. In fact - there is significant potential for inaugural RPCC jaunt abroad however we would need to get on to BBC re: sponsorship and team van ;)
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    Wilf and Al know I will be grateful for the promising weather forecast

I am in for an 8am start but 28km/h is probably a bit ambitious for me as I am still getting used to the distance however never one to shirk at a challenge!
  • The emu
    edited November 2008
    but would require no farting around working out which way to go (Wilf assures me that his 705 is sorted)

Think I know the route from memory now.....just don't let Al take the lead anywhere near the top of Leith Hill :wink:

I particularly know of one particular mapping "black spot" after last weekends err.....mishap which left me up close and personal with the bitumen :oops:

28.15km/h is easily done but truth be known take out the city riding and it equates to more like 32 - 35kmhr. Do-able if front is rotated regularly but doubt it is doable just yet (for me).

I'm keen on the spanish ride but would be tough to get registration. Anyone translate the spanish website?

I could be tempted to do the Caledonian as suggested by Al.

• Rich-Ti
    The emu wrote:
    I'm keen on the spanish ride but would be tough to get registration. Anyone translate the spanish website?
    Check it out here: http://www.ciclocostablanca.com/sportives2.htm - their price seems to involve race entry too 8)
  • Think I know the route from memory now.....just don't let Al take the lead anywhere near the top of Leith Hill :wink:
    My inner Garmin is not known for its accuracy.
    Bernard - glad to hear you've dried out!
  • The emu
    Check it out here: http://www.ciclocostablanca.com/sportives2.htm - their price seems to involve race entry too

Considering the ride costs 30 euro thats a bit steep, if theres a group going could be done at less than half the price and with better food and accomodation :roll:

• Rich-Ti
    The emu wrote:
    Check it out here: http://www.ciclocostablanca.com/sportives2.htm - their price seems to involve race entry too
    Considering the ride costs 30 euro thats a bit steep, if theres a group going could be done at less than half the price and with better food and accomodation :roll:
    But that includes guided rides on the days running up to it. It's also Spain's biggest sportive so I reckon accomodation would be pricey around that time.
  • Rich-Ti
    New York is off - see you all Sat am 8)
  • The emu wrote:
    [

28.15km/h is easily done

easily?

but truth be known take out the city riding and it equates to more like 32 - 35kmhr. Do-able if front is rotated regularly but doubt it is doable just yet (for me).

I'm hearing a lot of talk here...

looking forward to someone posting the group average

have a good ride lads
  • felgen
    The emu wrote:

Cool so you just volunteered for tour organiser then! Well done! :D

Anyway regarding this weekend, can you post a link to the ride so I can have a look and try to get it uploaded to the 305 (though really getting to the point where I cant be bothered to try any more).

Who is actually coming?
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Looks like it's Wilf, Bernard, Rich, you, me and 2 phantoms :?
    If we could plot in a route that gets us back for 12ish that would be 8)
  • felgen
    Looks like it's Wilf, Bernard, Rich, you, me and 2 phantoms :?
    If we could plot in a route that gets us back for 12ish that would be 8)

Hmm.. the plot thickens, who are the phantoms then... :?:
    Yeah back by 12... get out, ride, average 17ish mph (which should be fine - no stopping well, okay, one stop, but a quick one) then back in time for a cigar, and some brandy, Rah!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    Lads, a case of the cold/flu. I blame the wet coastal weather I am staying in this week.

I should be fine when Saturday comes so count me in!
  • The emu
    OK,

Here's the route we've been following which includes Leith Hill.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Su ... s-Standard

The alternative is basically to skip the turn off to leith hill and rather go straight on to Ranmore Common.

Forecast now for light rain and blustery winds. :cry:

Bernard, you should take it easy, your lucky you haven't got pneumonia after last weekend.

• felgen
    The emu wrote:
    OK,

Here's the route we've been following which includes Leith Hill.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Su ... s-Standard

The alternative is basically to skip the turn off to leith hill and rather go straight on to Ranmore Common.

Forecast now for light rain and blustery winds. :cry:

Bernard, you should take it easy, your lucky you haven't got pneumonia after last weekend.

Excellent - I am liking the look of that route and champing at the bit here. Roll on saturday :twisted:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Wet weather and windy on Saturday! :(
    Looks like the overshoes are coming out.
  • Rich-Ti
    Wet weather and windy on Saturday! :(
    Looks like the overshoes are coming out.
    Dammit, I hate the rain, but I hate the wind even more! :evil:

I will do my level best to not bail, I promise... :oops: :roll: