Tips for fitting new grips..

WipeOut_Dude
WipeOut_Dude Posts: 52
edited November 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I am trying to replace the grips on my bike and they are really a tight fit.. Can get them on more than about an inch.. Obviously being a tight fit is a good thing but I am guessing there is a trick to getting them on in the first place..

Anyone got any advice on how to fit the new grips?

Comments

• Paul Sh
    Paul Sh Posts: 607
    Hair spray and brute force, puncture repair glue but you need to be quick before it dries, or get lock on's, much simpler.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    compressed air.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Don't use hairspray, little bit of water gets under them and you'll have throttle grips.

You want to get a couple of thickish cable ties, put them between the bars and the grips, then slide them on, once on, pull the cable ties out. Make sure there thick enough not to snap when you pull them out.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I've always used GT85 as a lube for grips. Seems to work well enough.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Some good ideas there.. Thanks.. Will give it a shot.. :)
  • tombate911
    tombate911 Posts: 1,590
    i have tried GT85 and it has worked in the past, but i didnt do many wet rides on them as i changed for lock ons to make things easier :D
  • Bit minging, Kinda, but I spit inside the grip, wipe it around inside with my finger,then twist and bang it up the bar with the flat of my hand, it drys out and shouldn't go slippy like hairspray does in the wet and it's free! or get lock ons. :o
    Espresso, not EPO.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I had some Amoeba grips that didn't want to grip the bars no matter what I tried so I wrapped some duck tape round the bars under ther grips and that worked. Bit difficult getting the grips on though.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Compressed air is the business for this. Float on, float off. Easiest with a compressor but even an "air duster" aerosol will do it as long as it has a straw.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Wipeout dude...can you spare a day or two?

Bog standard hair gel gives enough lube to get the grips on, and once it's set they don't budge. It takes a while but it's bloody effective, way better than hairspray. They will not move no matter what.
    Lock ons are better/easier though :wink:
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Hair spray helps them off but drys like glue when you've put the new ones on (which you do right away).

Or cut them off and buy some Odi lock ons.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • WD40 or GT85 will get those suckers on. It will evaporate after a bit as well. Don't use soap unless you want to play motorbikes.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    WD40 will leave a layer of fine oil after the carrier solvent evaporates, GT85 contains teflon :lol: Neither known for their secure finish. There are better ways.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Hairspray, hair gel, WD and GT etc etc, get any water gets under them grips and they'll turn into throttles.

Cable ties man, thats what you need.

Or lock-ons, you can unbolt them like any other bit of kit if needs be.
  • I always use IPA.

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • LordBanks wrote:
    hair gel get any water gets under them grips and they'll turn into throttles.

Want to bet on that? :wink:
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • Snelly
    Snelly Posts: 140
    Just a note to say that I just read this, tried the cable tie tip and it is brilliant. Works like a dream. Many thanks.
    Fortes fortuna adiuvat.
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    nicklouse wrote:
    compressed air.

+1
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    I always use a tiny bit of GT85 when applying new grips, always worked a treat for me, and no 'throttle grip' either, just a teenie bit mind, or a bit of water.....

Simpelz
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I used some adhesive spray I had for car bodywork trim - took a while to dry but they dont shift once it has dried. About £6 in a motor shop.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Much to my surprise the cable tie suggestion worked really well. Many thanks.
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    Buy lock-on grips. Held on by clamps and Allen screws. can get a pair for £8 upwards. I bought my first pair in 2004 after trying all different methods of getting standard grips to stay put.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    A bit of water and brute force works for me. The water evaporates leaving the grips secure.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Soapy water (natural soap), slides on a dream, then the soap dries and glues them on, then just ease a slim screwdriver behind and squirt in some water and they slide off again, brilliant stuff soap!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    As above soapy water and though don't move even if they get wet on a ride, you have easy them off with a tool.
  • Some times I like to do things by brute force.

So for anything that requires brute force, you should devise a method that makes use of your legs as much as possible because your leg is three times as strong as your arm.

To put a grip on, push the grip on from one end with the other end against a wall (obviously protect this end with a rag or similar). Take the Street Fighter 2 "Hadouken" stance and push the end of the grip with an inverted budha palm (fingers pointing down instead of up). Apply a steady force and use the other hand to guide the grip along the bar from the bulge that will form - you are trying to replicate something like the inverse of the peristaltic wave motions that move food along in the gut.

Hold the other grip alongside the newly installed one to make sure that it's properly extended on the bar.

To remove a stubborn grip, use two hands and a leg. Form tiger claws as if you are lowering yourself down from a high wall or ledge by your fingers. Apply that finger grip to the very end of the grip nearest the brake or shifter clamp, becareful not to catch your fingernails. Then, push the side of the stem with one leg whilst maintaining your blance, basically, a front thrust kick but apply the force steadily - you are pushing and pulling the stem (attached to the handlebar) and the grip away from each other.

Seems like a very long description for such simple movements, but often they're the best.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    shindig wrote:
    Buy lock-on grips. Held on by clamps and Allen screws. can get a pair for £8 upwards. I bought my first pair in 2004 after trying all different methods of getting standard grips to stay put.
    Or just this. £8 from Superstar.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    cooldad wrote:
    shindig wrote:

Yep, this. Life's too short to muck about with anything else.

£5.99 from On-One
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    cooldad wrote:
    shindig wrote:

My Superstars have worn pretty rapidly, but at that price you can treat 'em as disposable, and the replacement cartridges are available separately. Can't see the point of paying £20 plus for similar products (unless they last three times longer).
  • Small bucket of really hot water, throw the grips in, wait a little bit, take em out, they slide on nicely. No gel, hairspray, GT 85, or anything else.

Lock ons are the way forward though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOUBLE-LOCK-O ... 43bd97ee85 The cheap option, ofcourse there are much better ones like ODI and LizardSkin etc.