Newbies, look here, a glossary of terms. (see page 1)

attica
attica Posts: 2,362
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
OK, here goes:-

FCN = Food chain number, your place in the scheme of things, to calculate look here

SCR = Silly Commuter Racing, see the thread

RLJ = Red Light Jumping, self explanatory

SMIDSY = "Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You", usually spoken by a motorist stood next to a broken bike

MTFU = Man The Fudge Up, stop being such a wuss and get on with it.

INR = Impercetible Nod of Recognition; mandatory whenever cyclists pass each other in opposite directions.

SS = Single Speed, a bike with only one gear

FG = Fixed gear, a bike with only one gear and no freewheel.

GI = Gear index, the distance travelled in inches after one full revolution of the pedals, usually in relation to FG/SS bikes

Left Hook = vehicle pulling back in before giving sufficient room, and (almost) knocking you off.

Bimbling/Pootling = riding at a slow speed, often taking in the view or simply enjoying the lack of need to get anywhere.

Spinning = turning the cranks very quickly but achieving little forward momentum.

Mashing = straining away at half a rev per minute in a ridiculously high gear.

Cadence = the rate at which you rotate your pedals (leading on from spinning and mashing)

Clipless = a type of pedal where the shoe is attached to it, with a cleat

Cleat = a small widget on the bottom of the shoe which 'clips' into the pedal.

Clipped = old fashioned pedals with toe clips and straps

Flats = Pedals with no attaching of the shoe

ASL - Advance stop line at traffic lights

LBS = Local Bike Shop

BSO = Bike Shaped Object a cheap thing probably bought from a supermarket or online, not worthy of the term bike thanks to it's low quality parts and manufacture

Chapeau = I raise my hat to you, sir/madam, in admiration for your strength/imagination/courtesy

PoB = pedestrian on a bike. A "cyclist" who rides as though s/he is walking, along pavements and across pedestrian crossings.

MoB = motorist on a bike. A "cyclist" who is a perfectly adequate, or even good, driver but who thinks none of the stuff that earned him/her a driving licence applies when s/he's on a bike. Runs red lights, rides the wrong way up one-way streets and shouts at pedestrians daring to use pedestrian crossing when s/he is trying to pass. Lacks any sense of lane discipline or road sense when cycling.

and some more generic forum abbreviations

IM(H)O = in my (humble) opinion
IME = In my experience
AFAIK = as far as I know
IIRC = if i remember correctly
LOL = Laughing out loud
WTF = What the fudge?
ROFLMAO = I am a geek and I know way too many acronyms/Rolling on the floor laughing my ar$e off
FFS = For Fudge's Sake
Meh = expression of ennui

Any others I've missed? I can add to this post to keep it all on the first page of the thread.

Mods, any chance you could make this sticky?
"Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"

Comments

• As a newbie myself, may I suggest one?

INR=Impercetible Nod of Recognition; mandatory whenever cyclists pass each other in opposite directions.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    IM(H)O - in my (humble) opinion
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    stuck. but keep it real or it may go.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    LBS - Local Bike Shop

not as funny* as my original post, now removed but hey ho!

* IMHO
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    IME - In my experience
    AFAIK as far as I know
    IIRC if i remember correctly
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Isn't this supposed to be bike (and this forum) specific terms and not general internet terms?

SS = Single Speed
    FG = Fixed gear
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Left Hook = vehicle pulling back in before giving sufficient room, and (almost) knocking you off.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    bimbling - perambulating at a slow speed, often taking in the view or simply enjoying the lack of need to get anywhere at any time. Putting in very little effort.
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Littigator wrote:
    bimbling - perambulating at a slow speed, often taking in the view or simply enjoying the lack of need to get anywhere at any time. Putting in very little effort.

Also pootling = the exact same thing.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Spinning - turning the cranks very quickly but achieving little forward momentum. Useful uphill, or on fixies.

Mashing - the opposite - straining away at half a rev per minute in a ridiculously high gear. Useful downhill, or on LiT's fixie.
  • Cadence:

Balanced, rhythmic flow, as of poetry or oratory.
    The measure or beat of movement, as in dancing or marching.

A falling inflection of the voice, as at the end of a sentence.
    General inflection or modulation of the voice.
    Music. A progression of chords moving to a harmonic close, point of rest, or sense of resolution

In this case: the rate at which you rotate your pedals (leading on from spinning and mashing)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Clipless: a type of pedal where the shoe is attached to it, without use of the 'old fashioned' toe clips and straps (referred to as 'clipped'). Riding with these pedals requires a 'cleat' - a small widget on the bottom of the shoe which 'clips' into the pedal.

"Flats" are pedals with no attaching of the shoe.

Confusing, no?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • ASL - Advance stop line
  • Numpty - the kunt who nearly killed me this morning.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Numpty - the **** who nearly killed me this morning.

REFEREE!!!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Littigator wrote:

REFEREE!!!

+1!
  • Littigator wrote:

REFEREE!!!

+1!

Why? It is on topic! Anyway, I apologise for my language.
  • Can I suggest to the group that when conjugating MTFU, we use the (somewhat controversial) possibly grammatically correcterer form of modifying the abbreviated verb and not the preposition?

"So after a long day of M'ingTFU involving 50 miles in the sleet and one pigeon attack..." is, to these ears, correct.

"So after a long day of MTFU'ing involving 50 miles in the sleet and one pigeon attack..." is, to these ears, incorrect.
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Cantdosleepy, the thing with MTFU is that it's an acronym, and grammarising those you tend to treat them as a single entity rather than their individual parts. So to me, "MTFUing" is the correct one.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • girv73 wrote:
    Cantdosleepy, the thing with MTFU is that it's an acronym, and grammarising those you tend to treat them as a single entity rather than their individual parts. So to me, "MTFUing" is the correct one.

Well, if this thread is turning into pedant's corner*, I would just like to point out that MTFU is technically an initialism, not an acronym; at least, I've not been able to figure out a way to pronounce it as a word!

_

* Yes, "pedant's corner" as, if it's a corner, it is surely only possible for a single person to be there at a time...
  • Good points, both.

girv, you're probably right. Nevertheless, as 'tend' is about as far as you can go when describing the vagaries of the English language, I don't feel too incorrect in emming rather than yooing.
  • biondino wrote:

Mashing - the opposite - straining away at half a rev per minute in a ridiculously high gear. Useful downhill, or on LiT's fixie.

:lol::lol::lol:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • attica
    Added most of those with a bit of editing just to keep the format.

W2B apologies for not including your definition of "Numpty" sure you'll understand.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • How about 'chapeau'?

Am I right in thinking this is some kind of 'Hats off, gentlemen' statement?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    You are indeed. "I raise my hat to you, sir, in admiration for your strength/imagination/courtesy"
  • attica
    Updated
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Can I ask a newbie question please?

How do you rename links? I can copy and paste a link, but don't know how to get it to display as my chosen text. :oops:

And how do you paste images into a post? :oops:
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • risi
    risi Posts: 231
    All the info you need in one place is here
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Jen J wrote:
    Can I ask a newbie question please?

How do you rename links? I can copy and paste a link, but don't know how to get it to display as my chosen text. :oops:

And how do you paste images into a post? :oops:

1: Like this?

Type [\url=www.thesiteyouwanttolinkto.com]thetextyouwanttoappear[/url]

Just DON'T include the back-slash I put in front of the first 'url', I just put that in to make the whole thing visible.

2: You need to be able to link to images hosted on a site such as Flickr, which is pretty easy. Check the FAQs in the Bikeradar office thread and go to Flickr and read the FAQs there.
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Cheers risi, that link is really useful :)