Riding Buddy Required

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I think this is falling on slectively 'deaf ears'!!
    It must have been viewed by at least one moderator, but no comments made by BikeRadar so far................
    Perhaps if we started to swear and post some distasteful photo's, we'd get a reaction! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    I am reading all your comments, don't worry. ;)

The problem is, we are trying to reduce the numbers of boards, as people seem to find using the forum confusing with so many sub-sections. We have 14 sections within Road already, which is a lot, especially when you add on all the other sections from the other areas.

However, I do see that it will be a good idea. I think the best way to go would be to try to repurpose the Sportives forum slightly. Technically, that's where these threads can go already, but it's not very clear in the name or description, and it gets used solely for sportives at the moment.

I'll have a word with Nick and try to get the forum name/description altered, and we can see how that goes.
  • whyamihere
    Update: We're planning to make a few changes in the next few days to the layout of the road forum, and this is one of the things being considered.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    hopper1 wrote:
    I think this is falling on slectively 'deaf ears'!!
    It must have been viewed by at least one moderator, but no comments made by BikeRadar so far................
    Perhaps if we started to swear and post some distasteful photo's, we'd get a reaction! :wink:

Aw sh*t i was just going to post some rude pics :lol: why is there always a mod there when you don't need one :wink:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • whyamihere
    Post them anyway, at least I can have a look before I delete them. ;)

Note: I'm joking. PM them to me instead. :D
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Stories like that just put me off.

"I just about surrvived to arrive home after a 3 hour ride 56 miles and the small matter of 3500 feet of climbing".

doesn't seem that bad to me!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    whyamihere wrote:
    Post them anyway, at least I can have a look before I delete them. ;)

Note: I'm joking. PM them to me instead. :D

:lol::lol:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    whyamihere
    Thanks for the update. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • a_n_t wrote:
    Stories like that just put me off.

"I just about surrvived to arrive home after a 3 hour ride 56 miles and the small matter of 3500 feet of climbing".

doesn't seem that bad to me!

I've found a local club - and I'm going for it this Sunday - BBC weather reckons on 30mph winds - :shock: Hope its a bit easier than yours
    Non-Sexist, Non-Racist, Non-Violent Egalitarian Chess: 32 grey pawns all on the same side
  • I'm in Brum and thinking about joining a club run soon - what club fairweatherbiker?
  • johnnyc71 wrote:
    I'm in Brum and thinking about joining a club run soon - what club fairweatherbiker?

Its Solihull CC - They meet at the Barley Mow (Solihull town centre) at 9am on a Sunday morning. I'm phoning the guy tonight - will let you know what he says.
    Non-Sexist, Non-Racist, Non-Violent Egalitarian Chess: 32 grey pawns all on the same side
  • I went out with the Solihull Club http://www.solihullcc.org.uk/club_run_info.html on the "E" Run. The web page says who to contact. It was about 25 miles - easy pace and great fun.

I'll definitely be doing it again.
  • I went out with Drighlington (same as OP) this weekend and had a very enjoyable 50 mile run. Everyone was really friendly and the run was much better than expected. Thanks Guys. Hopefully will be out with these guys again next weekend, no wrong turns this time, I promise! :oops:

As someone who has thought of joining a club for a while, I really would say just give it a go. You will be glad you did.

Cheers

Ben
  • pjh
    pjh Posts: 204
    whyamihere wrote:
    Update: We're planning to make a few changes in the next few days to the layout of the road forum, and this is one of the things being considered.

Any news on this Mr Moderator?

It's great to be .....
  • pjh
    It seems this well supported post did indeed fall on totally deaf ears! Nowhere in the revised forum is there any 'ride buddies' area ... or anything similar!?!?

That's a great shame as I know there are lots of people that would have found this 'ride buddies' section extremely useful :(

I'm still searching (sounds like a lonely hearts request :wink: ) for anyone looking for some company on rides anywhere in the Wansford, Kings Cliffe, Oundle, Elton, Bulwick, Glapthorn, Harringworth areas.

I'm a relative novice .. average somewhere around 15-17 mph and usually look to ride anywhere between 18 & 40 miles depenidng on time and weather etc.

Company greatly appreciated :-)

Paul

It's great to be .....
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Any-one round Midsomer Norton near Bath? I tried to get hold of somer valley cycle club but i think they must be hermits :?
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    I went out with the Solihull Club http://www.solihullcc.org.uk/club_run_info.html on the "E" Run. The web page says who to contact. It was about 25 miles - easy pace and great fun.

Good to hear you enjoyed the run - Alan who takes it is a really nice guy and the people on it are really friendly. I started off on that run five years ago and can thoroughly recommend it to beginners or people who like an easy sociable ride.
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    I went out with the Solihull Club http://www.solihullcc.org.uk/club_run_info.html on the "E" Run. The web page says who to contact. It was about 25 miles - easy pace and great fun.

Good to hear you enjoyed the run - Alan who takes it is a really nice guy and the people on it are really friendly. I started off on that run five years ago and can thoroughly recommend it to beginners or people who like a sociable ride.
  • whyamihere
    pjh wrote:
    It seems this well supported post did indeed fall on totally deaf ears! Nowhere in the revised forum is there any 'ride buddies' area ... or anything similar!?!?

That's a great shame as I know there are lots of people that would have found this 'ride buddies' section extremely useful :(

I'm still searching (sounds like a lonely hearts request :wink: ) for anyone looking for some company on rides anywhere in the Wansford, Kings Cliffe, Oundle, Elton, Bulwick, Glapthorn, Harringworth areas.

I'm a relative novice .. average somewhere around 15-17 mph and usually look to ride anywhere between 18 & 40 miles depenidng on time and weather etc.

Company greatly appreciated :-)

Paul
    Actually, this is what the Challenge Rides and Chain Gangs part is for. This thread was a big consideration for the reshuffle.
  • pjh
    Hello Whyamihere,

Did you by chance mean the ' Sportives/Audaxes/Training rides' section? If you did I hardly think it gets anywhere even remotely close to describing a 'ride buddies' section??

I wouldn't even *think* to look in there to start searching for this?

If this was a 'big part' of this revised thread .... then it missed the mark by a continent!

I don't understand why there can't be a separate section completely and I don't agree there are too many sections, which seems to be the reason you end up with certain sections trying to deal with several issues and failing miserably to deal with any?

It's great to be .....
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    pjh wrote:
    Hello Whyamihere,

Did you by chance mean the ' Sportives/Audaxes/Training rides' section? If you did I hardly think it gets anywhere even remotely close to describing a 'ride buddies' section??

I wouldn't even *think* to look in there to start searching for this?

If this was a 'big part' of this revised thread .... then it missed the mark by a continent!

I don't understand why there can't be a separate section completely and I don't agree there are too many sections, which seems to be the reason you end up with certain sections trying to deal with several issues and failing miserably to deal with any?

+1, you said what i was thinking but i'm not intelligent enough to explain it that well, so didn't bother trying :D
  • cyclingmev
    cyclingmev Posts: 105
    I used to ride miles by mesen, then in the middle of a night shift when i wasn't thinking clearly, i registered for a long distance challenge...this involved 5 months of meeting up with a group of lads ranging between the ages of 30 - 55 for training rides, and it was a revelation! Not only were they really supportive, it was a great crack, good fun and good moral support. Plus i couldn't believe how much they ate when we stopped in cafes during 100 mile rides (sticky toffee pudding AND custard??!?!) Just getting back into cycling again, and doing a similar challenge in september, so hoping to buddy up with a couple of lads - both hideously fitter than me, though not the type to ride off into the horizon whilst i dig around in my pockets snerfling out chocolate...however, like most things in life, it does depend on the type of person / group you're bikeling with...you'll always get one wanting to out-bike you, but as long as you're enjoying it, then screw 'em!!
    i like bike
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    i am deffo +1 for the seperate riding buddy section as i really think for beginers as well as experienced riders the thought of joining a club is a little intimadating also i'm sure there is nothing wrong with clubs responding to individuals post's to offer there sevices in the area and explain a little about themselves and what they do to break down these fears.
    I am in Rochdale and always ride alone as the only lads i know who are roadies are miles fitter than me so would love to sort out an alternative. :D
  • pjh
    whyamihere ... can this be re-visited?

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade but there is demand here and the forum isn't meeting it?

Paul.

It's great to be .....
  • sugarbeet
    sugarbeet Posts: 39
    I agreed so much with PJH I joined bikeradar especially to comment!

Normally I just do anonymous reading. I'd love to see a dedicated section on this forum as well.

Here's my bike buddy lonely hearts ad...

39 year old family man, slightly embarrassed about his Lycra, seeks like minded individuals to occasionally ride 50K or so @ weekends in West Norfolk area (near Downham Market). An area famous for its Alpine style climbs. Happy to travel (moderate distances) to meet up

Nothing too serious, happy to go as fast as I can, or as slow as you can..depending. (More likely former I suspect). Availability depends on the length of the grass and the length of the weekend 'to do' list.
    Cylon cats - have no plan
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    To be honest people who want to meet with other like minded individuals for a ride could always start a new thread in the "Sportives/Audaxes/Training rides" section.

It's worked well enough for posters in North Wales and the Manchester/Cheshire area - so I can't see why it couldn't work for you too....

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12604744
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12602675

Start a new thread with your locale in the title and I'm sure you'll get some good discussion.....there's no need for a totally new section when there's already one that fills that niche......
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • whyamihere
    To be honest people who want to meet with other like minded individuals for a ride could always start a new thread in the "Sportives/Audaxes/Training rides" section.

It's worked well enough for posters in North Wales and the Manchester/Cheshire area - so I can't see why it couldn't work for you too....

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12604744
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12602675

Start a new thread with your locale in the title and I'm sure you'll get some good discussion.....there's no need for a totally new section when there's already one that fills that niche......
    Wot 'e sed.

Just try it. You might like it.
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272

Worth a try , what have you got to lose. Good luck.

snakehips.jpg

1Tccropthumb.jpg

Snakehips Bikes
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • pjh
    Posted in the 'training rides thingy (forget it's name)' forum so we'll see what happens :D

Still think a dedicated section with a title that's a little more descriptive of the subject would be better, but at least I've tried.

It's great to be .....
  • pjh
    Hate to say it but ...... you get the drift!

No replies responses to posting in audaxes/sportives/training rides/whatever else thread.

Personally I think that thread description is too general and hence people don't think to look there (I woudn't have without being persuaded by others from this thread).

Unless of course there is just an absence of cyclists from my area registered on bikeradar?? There seem to be plenty of cyclists around ... so I'd have thought there might be a reply.

Maybe they're all miserable sods and riding solo for a reason?? Ho hum.

It's great to be .....