Riding Buddy Required

Comments

• What horror stories have you heard Reddragon ? I've come accross quite a few of the Deeside boys when i've been out and about and some of them did seem pretty snotty!

And did u say you were from Buckley also?????
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    welshcrowe wrote:
    What horror stories have you heard Reddragon ? I've come accross quite a few of the Deeside boys when i've been out and about and some of them did seem pretty snotty!

And did u say you were from Buckley also?????

http://www.deeside-olympic.co.uk/main/i ... &Itemid=77

Stories like that just put me off. My nephew (lives in Buckley too) is looking for a club, but he's not a strong enough rider to enjoy such rides, he needs encouragement and can maintain a decent pace as long as he is egged on - as soon as he would be dropped he'd lose all motivation.

It's just a shame there aren't more clubs in the area.

Aye, I'm from Buckley, used to live near the Common, went to Mountain Lane School. I try to get out around Buckley on my bike as much as possible, but I'm in Manchester for university so do a lot of riding there now.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Well my house backs onto Mountain Lane school, but its a few years since I went there!
    I may see you around Buckley then -I'll be on a Kuota Kharma so give me a shout!
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I think a "riding buddies" section would be a great idea.

I have toyed with the idea of joining a club, but I would prefer the flexibility of riding with a friend or two. I don't always want to have to ride at 09:00 on Sunday morning.

If anyone is interested, I am based in Haywards Heath, West Sussex.

Rob.
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    reddragon and others who live in the North Wales/Cheshire areas, hows about a meet somewhere on the borders of the areas one Sat/Sun for a 30-50 mile get to know you ride? I'm a bit like you red in that I'm OK on the flats but once the hills start I slow down dramatically so would appreciate a good ride that pushes a little but not all out and would cruise along at the rate of the slowest individual.

I'd be up for something like that....
  • I'm up for a meet on the Wales/Chesire border if anyone else is.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    edited October 2008
    Sounds like a plan, however I'm in Manchester most of the time now, I'm back home this weekend for a week or so though.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    pjh wrote:
    I've been riding for 12 months now and riding solo almost all of the time.

Over the last month or two I've started to struggle with my motivation somewhat and I'm certain that riding in a group or with a regular riding buddy would help this.

I also see a lot of local riders riding 'solo' and wonder whether they might feel the same?

Strikes me that a 'riding buddies' section of this whole forum would be a good idea for those looking for a bit of company, motivation or even some inspiration :D

Personally I'm not into racing and so the club scene doesn't really appeal (I ride for fitness and to control my weight more than anything else).

I'm 42 and ride typically 25-45 miles a couple of times a week depending on time and normally avge about 16mph over rolling country. I also ride all year round except when it's raining cats & dogs or if there's ice about! I try to get out a bit more often during the summer evenings .. even just for a quick hour's blast.

So if anyone's interested let me know (I ride the Wansford, Oundle, Harringworth areas mostly). If not ... well nothing lost :) (but perhaps the forum moderators would consider a section like this for others?)

Cheers,

Paul.

Hey Paul problem solved. I'm in a similar situation but in Leicestershire.
    On long runs we could meet up for a mile or two before heading home and on short runs we'would just be 10 miles short of meeting up :lol:
    Yep maybe there could be a section where like minded minded people could meet up - like lonely hearts for cyclists :oops:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • pjh
    pjh Posts: 204
    Hi feel ... thanks for your reply.

I get as far across as Gretton, Corby, Caldicott or Eyebrook resevoir on my longer rides. Not sure how far that is from you or whether you get across in that area at all.

I suppose the other option is to throw the bike in the back of the car. Drive 10 miles nearer park up and then ride from there? :)

Does sound though that there's quite few people that would value a 'ride buddies' section.

Maybe the moderators will oblige?

It's great to be .....
  • feel
    Unfortunately a 40 mile round trip only gets me to Oakham and back and i suspect you are probably a little too fast for me. On that sort of distance i'm usually only averaging about 14mph :oops:
  • pjh
    Feel ... you've hit the nail on the head with your comment there :) and you make my point about the value of a ride buddies section.

What I mean is that cycling buddies should stick together whatever speed is best, and that I think is the difference between riding with a mate or two and riding in a larger club type group where things are a little more regimental.

My idea of a ride buddy is someone who is happy to go with the flow ... whatever that might be. In reality there's always days where you feel strong and others where you feel rubbish and if you're riding with a regular buddy you know that some days you'll be pulling your partner along and on other days you'll be the one that needs pulling along :)

It's great to be .....
  • simmo3801
    simmo3801 Posts: 486
    I work shifts so getting out every Sat or Sun is impossible for me as I'm only off 1 weekend in 5! I've toyed with the idea of joining a club but don't feel I'd be able to commit enough. By the time my 1 weekend comes around there's a huge list of things seeking precidence. It's also hard to find anyone to go riding with on a Wed morning etc...
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Hey I'm in Lincs and actually on the Leics border if anyone is interested. I know Oakham but more Melton/Redmile area.
  • I also think a section for people to arrange ride partners is a good idea.
    Is this something that the administrators of this site might want to think about setting up? There are obvious personal safety issues to be considered.
    My problem is that I'm a shift worker, so like many of you I can't commit to club runs every weekend as when I'm off for the weekend she's made a long list!
  • feel
    pjh wrote:
    Feel ... you've hit the nail on the head with your comment there :) and you make my point about the value of a ride buddies section.

What I mean is that cycling buddies should stick together whatever speed is best, and that I think is the difference between riding with a mate or two and riding in a larger club type group where things are a little more regimental.

My idea of a ride buddy is someone who is happy to go with the flow ... whatever that might be. In reality there's always days where you feel strong and others where you feel rubbish and if you're riding with a regular buddy you know that some days you'll be pulling your partner along and on other days you'll be the one that needs pulling along :)
    Good points, well made. A couple of timesi have ridden with a friend who is just thinking about taking up cycling and i have not minded dawdling along just for the company. However, i think i am probably reluctant to join a group just in case they are in a hurry and i struggle with the pace.
    Shame you are not closer pjh as you have the same attitude as me.
    The furthest I have ever ridden in one day is about 70 miles and this year i did the vale of belvoir bhf (40 miles), the great notts ride (flat 50 miles) and the cat and fiddle challenge (50 miles and tough for me).Next year i would like to try something a bit longer, maybe 70 or 80 but not as hilly as the cat and fiddle. I don't know if you would maybe like to pick out a ride that would suit to work towards. Is there any thing over peterborough way? - i don't mind driving up to 60 or 70 miles to get to the start.

Hey giant mancp, - getting warmer, probably only a 35 mile round trip to your area. If this thread continues much longer i might find someone on my doorstep :lol:

I think if there is to be a buddy section people would want to know a little bit of background eg approx age, ability/ave speeds, usual distance range and whether they are doing it just for fitness/relaxation or training for club riding.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I think a "riding buddies" section would be a great idea.

I have toyed with the idea of joining a club, but I would prefer the flexibility of riding with a friend or two. I don't always want to have to ride at 09:00 on Sunday morning.

If anyone is interested, I am based in Haywards Heath, West Sussex.

Rob.
    Hi Rob. I'm in Haywards Heath and would be up for a ride sometime.

I'm not the quickest though!
  • Jd987
    Jd987 Posts: 9
    after reading the post, I think having a section on the forum specifically for buddies would supplement club cycling. it is not always easy to fit in with club rides when you have several other commitments.
  • pjh
    whyamihere? Do you have any thoughts/comments to add to this suggestion?

It's great to be .....
  • pjh
    feel/giant mancp .... seems like Rutland Water is is in the middle of us all?

How about meeting up there one Saturday or Sunday morning as a starting point and riding 30/40 miles?

I'm sure there's a few folk on here that can recommend a ride in the Rutland Water area? Anyone?

Paul

It's great to be .....
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Hi Rob. I'm in Haywards Heath and would be up for a ride sometime.

I'm not the quickest though!

Hi Nuggs,

I have PM'ed you, so drop me a mail and we can sort out a ride!

Cheers,

Rob.
  • feel
    pjh wrote:

How about meeting up there one Saturday or Sunday morning as a starting point and riding 30/40 miles?

I'm sure there's a few folk on here that can recommend a ride in the Rutland Water area? Anyone?

Paul
    Hi, can't make this weekend, but can make any of the next three after that (8/9th, 15/16th or 22/23rd)and am easy on start times. PM me with any suggestions - i can carry maps for when we get lost :wink:
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    A riding buddy seems a great idea for people who don't want to join a club, for whatever reason. And there seems reasonable demand amongst us for a specific page on this forum.

Moderator, how can we make it happen on this site?
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • If anybody's up for a ride out in the North Wales/Chester area I'd be happy to tag along.

A 30-50 mile social ride sounds good to me. I've been pootling round the lanes of North Wales on my own for a couple of years now so it'd be nice to go for a spin with some like minded types. And the extra motivation to get out there wouldn't be a bad thing at this time of year.
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    feel wrote:
    pjh wrote:

Paul
    Hi, can't make this weekend, but can make any of the next three after that (8/9th, 15/16th or 22/23rd)and am easy on start times. PM me with any suggestions - i can carry maps for when we get lost :wink:

Hey you two, this sounds good. Only been up here since march so riding routes kinda new to me, be good to hook up as suggested.
  • I would be up for a weekend ride if its not too far from Birmingham.

Have the website dudes set up any buddying system as suggested here yet?
    Non-Sexist, Non-Racist, Non-Violent Egalitarian Chess: 32 grey pawns all on the same side
  • hothead wrote:
    Im in a club but we dont have any type of club runs due to location of members and low numbers. No-one lives anywhere close to me and I think Buddy section would be a really good idea.

Where abouts in West Yorks are you Hothead? I'm in Cleckeaton and would be happy to meet up for a ride anywhere in the local area (Bradford/dewsbury/Leeds) area.
  • This sounds spot on for me I am not fit enough for a club and would be very demotivated if I was dropped on a ride. After all I ride for fun and want to improve my fitness.

Is there I anyone in the Southam (warwickshire) area looking for a buddy who is unfit and could do a very steady 25 miles. Having someone to go out riding with woud be a good motivator.

Amy
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I'm all for putting a sticky on a 'Buddy' thread, too.
    I am a club member, but that's only good for Sundays, really.
    I work away from home a lot, but, when I am at home, I go out every day, during daylight, on my own, which can be a boring couple of hours!
    If there was a facility on here to contact other riders of similar abilities, it might add a little more interest to training.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    The are 'golf societies' established for people who don't want/can't afford to join a specific club. They allow members to submit cards from various courses and get a handicap. However, they also facilitate members finding other members local to them so it's easier to find playing partners.

I wonder if this would work with cycling? Bike Radar sets up some sort of cycling club where members can search for and PM other members. It could be useful in helping people find similarly paced/motiviated buddies.

It would probably need to be a bit more than just a forum to work, as members would need to be able to search the directory against a few perameters.

I wonder...
  • amyabcd wrote:
    This sounds spot on for me I am not fit enough for a club and would be very demotivated if I was dropped on a ride. After all I ride for fun and want to improve my fitness.

Is there I anyone in the Southam (warwickshire) area looking for a buddy who is unfit and could do a very steady 25 miles. Having someone to go out riding with woud be a good motivator.

Amy

I'm south birmingham/solihull and I think 25 miles would be just about right. I'm not fast.
    Non-Sexist, Non-Racist, Non-Violent Egalitarian Chess: 32 grey pawns all on the same side