Time Trial Targets for 09

jfwall
jfwall Posts: 41
What time should I be aiming for next season, I did my first T/T on the last weekend of the season and managed 29:33 for a 10m. I could have got under 29:00 but was cramping up for the last 5 miles after going out a little quick (need to temper my enthusiasm). I'm new to cycling with just 2yrs of general road cycling but got the bug this year and did the Manchester Blackpool in 3:30.

Usually manage about 2 or 3x 30min sessions on a turbo and 20-30m over the weekend and sometimes 2 rides weather permitting. I'm 40yrs old and want to set myself a goal that is achievable next season and try and T/T every week when possible. I would guess I should be able to get down to low 27s but should I be aiming lower?

Any comments or experience welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Aim for 25. If you can do a mid 29 for your first, with some dedicated training and some experience (pacing etc) you should easily take a couple of minutes off within your first few tests, so the 27 should be easily do-able and not a real challenge.
    Can you work on your position/equipment? Are you doing them on a standard road bike, or have you got tribars etc?
  • jfwall
    jfwall Posts: 41
    That was another problem as I've got a Trek Madonne 5.2 ('08) and I just stuck some cheap bars on it that I'd bought an 1hr before the ride. Nothing like preperation and my first effort with them was the trial. Saying that I seemed to get on OK with them but can definitely improve and if I do progress I'll invest in a T/T bike probably for the season after.

Thanks
  • You'll improve significantly over your first few, with no changes to equipment or position. It's all about pacing. And sheer bloody-mindedness :)
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    Hi mate,

I'm in a similar situation to you.

I've joined a road club for the first time and we are going to start doing weekly '10s' on a Thursday night.

My target is 25 minutes for a 10 - I have nothing other than over expectation to make this goal! I haven't done a 10 yet but reckon I could do a flattish one just now in 30 minutes.

However, worryingly my 12 mile commute takes me about 45 minutes!! However there are around a dozen sets of traffic lights plus a mile or so on shared footpath plus a reasonable amount of hills on it - that's my excuse anyway :wink:

Look at it this way - if you set 25 as your target and you don't make it - what's the worst that's going to happen?

However if you manage it you'll be well chuffed and it might make it easier for you to justify a new TT bike (if these things are an issue!!) :wink:
  • However, worryingly my 12 mile commute takes me about 45 minutes!!

I suspect you're not arriving at work unable to make even one more pedal revolution, and on the verge of vomiting? ;)
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    You guess right :wink:
  • then don't worry about how long your commute takes :)