Richmond Park night riding

chuckcork
chuckcork Posts: 1,471
edited November 2008 in Training, fitness and health
Haven't seen this posted anywhere, but I'd like to ask, are there any restrictions on night training in Richmond Park? Gentlemans agreements with the parks police, between clubs, problems with access, that kind of thing?

Particularly about lights....having ridden through the Park from Richmond Gate and out Kingston gate in the dark, I know that super bright lights are a help to the rider but a hindrance to anyone else, but I'd rather use them than run into the deer (came close enough using puny AA-battery powered LED's). I was intending to get a Schmidt Edelux when it becomes available again as my main night riding light on roads (on a quick release so chav's can't pinch it), would it be better to use an E6 in the Park though to reduce probs for others?

Not intending to do so while the deer are being culled/shot of course....
'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....

Comments

• Hi

I had my first 'night ride' of the park last week, it was already closed to cars but I just entered in the pedestrian gate at the top of Star and Garter Hill and found quite a few other riders lapping. I hear what you say about the lights, I almost hit a couple of deer, and also two runners jogging along in TOTAL DARKNESS with no reflective clothing or light, with their backs to the traffic. They will never know how close they came to getting broken legs... My puny LED's weren't up to it either, though I only really intended them as a 'get you home' light... There were several riders with mega bright lights that dazzled me so much I almost left the road, but to be honest it wasn't so much the intensity of their lights, as much as the fact that they had them pointing horizontal instead of at the tarmac!

Anyway, I enjoyed it, just need to invest in a decent front light. All kinds of other wildlife out at night too, like foxes. And of course NO CARS! Give it a try.
  • I've used an E6 and E6Z and these should be fine for the Park after dark. Your post was the first I've heard about the LED Schmidt - but then I've been off the Audax scene for a while. Sounds interesting :)
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    derekwatts wrote:
    There were several riders with mega bright lights that dazzled me so much I almost left the road, but to be honest it wasn't so much the intensity of their lights, as much as the fact that they had them pointing horizontal instead of at the tarmac!
    :oops:

Guilty your honour... :roll:

I use one of these and generally have it on full so that I can see the deer in plenty of time to react - unfortunately this tends to mean it's more horizontal than pointing at the tarmac, but granted I probably do need to lower the angle a little :roll: :oops:

I'd add 2 things though - firstly, if you don't look at it, it can't dazzle you! And secondly, ride with me, then you won't need lights! :wink::lol:
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Interesting, didn't realise you could get into Richmond park of an evening. How late can you train in the park?
  • fidbod wrote:
    Interesting, didn't realise you could get into Richmond park of an evening. How late can you train in the park?

You can get in 24 hours, apart from the periods when a deer cull is on when the gates are locked from dusk to dawn.
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Happy days,

no more dull turbo trainer evenings for me then!
  • chuckcork
    fidbod wrote:

You can get in 24 hours, apart from the periods when a deer cull is on when the gates are locked from dusk to dawn.

The last time I was passing through on a regularish basis the closing of the gates wasn't all at once. Richmond gate in particular could be open, or at least half anyway, a couple of hours after the rest of the park shut, as there are people working in the park who have access to and from it after hours.

A warning is not to take gates being open for granted, you might find the gate you came in through is locked as you go to leave. Had this once, Ham gate I think, not sure why as I never queried it. Bit of a pain if you have to go a couple of miles around to the next one.

There are locals walking their dogs in the park in the early evenings so you won't be totally alone if you want to train there.
  • Rich-Ti
    chuckcork wrote:
    A warning is not to take gates being open for granted, you might find the gate you came in through is locked as you go to leave. Had this once, Ham gate I think, not sure why as I never queried it. Bit of a pain if you have to go a couple of miles around to the next one.
    But you can get a bike through the walk-in gates on each gate, so as said above 24/7 access is not a problem 8)
  • Ah! that will be the vehicle gates getting locked. Those on foot can access by the kissing gates (to the side of the road gates).

Finally - another attempt to big up Prime Coachings 'turn up' sessions at the Hillingdon Cycle Circuit on a winter Thursday evening: 5:30pm onwards.
  • Rich-Ti
    Finally - another attempt to big up Prime Coachings 'turn up' sessions at the Hillingdon Cycle Circuit on a winter Thursday evening: 5:30pm onwards.
    Do you have to get there for 5:30? And what time does it go on until? I know you've mentioned this before and I'm certainly interested.
  • chuckcork
    Ah! that will be the vehicle gates getting locked. Those on foot can access by the kissing gates (to the side of the road gates).

Hate to point out the obvious, but it was the pedestrian gate I was wanting to use that was locked at the time I wanted to go through it....
  • Rich-Ti wrote:
    Do you have to get there for 5:30? And what time does it go on until? I know you've mentioned this before and I'm certainly interested.

No - just pitch up whenever. If there's a pace line going it's worth lapping until you can join it. It's all pretty informal, but if it's your first time I'd suggest saying hello to one of the Prime guys just to introduce yourself.

Brian does tend to hand around the huts if there's still riders out on the track, but generally it's just solo riders after about 7:30pm. Being a public park, the circuit can be used for informal use anytime unless there is a booking.
  • chuckcork wrote:

Hate to point out the obvious, but it was the pedestrian gate I was wanting to use that was locked at the time I wanted to go through it....

which one? I normally use Star & Garter or Sheen and have never had a problem...yet :?
  • Rich-Ti
    chuckcork wrote:
    Ah, in which case I would guess it was possibly during the Deer cull. The pedestrian gates usually aren't locked.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork wrote:

which one? I normally use Star & Garter or Sheen and have never had a problem...yet :?

I was coming home from Richmond so came in through the Star & Garter and it would have been either Ham Gate or Kingston I wanted to go out. Was quite a while ago tho', I moved to Twickenham in 2003 so I can't remember exactly which, probably Kingston.

Wasn't during the cull. Maybe there had been some of the anti-social stuff going on? Maybe they just locked it by mistake.
  • Ended up riding round the park at dusk / in the dark last night after my planned ride was delayed....have to say I absolutely loved it - no cars, just a few other bikes, the sunset and darkness made the park seem almost magical, it was fantastic.

I'll be doing it again, but would echo other thoughts in here about lights and the main danger coming from wandering deer - have a reasonably good commuting light that lets me be seen, but doesn't do the best job of lighting the road so will be digging out my old mtb night light.

Also noticed the deer cull starts this year on 3 Nov (next Monday), which means you need to be out by 8pm for a few weeks as the pedestrian gates will be locked then.
  • Rich-Ti
    Must apologise if I blinded anyone last night - had my MTB light on full most of the lap without realising. Tried to cover it when others were coming towards me but I know I missed a few people :roll: :oops:
  • derekwatts wrote:
    Hi

I had my first 'night ride' of the park last week, it was already closed to cars but I just entered in the pedestrian gate at the top of Star and Garter Hill and found quite a few other riders lapping. I hear what you say about the lights, I almost hit a couple of deer, and also two runners jogging along in TOTAL DARKNESS with no reflective clothing or light, with their backs to the traffic. They will never know how close they came to getting broken legs... My puny LED's weren't up to it either, though I only really intended them as a 'get you home' light... There were several riders with mega bright lights that dazzled me so much I almost left the road, but to be honest it wasn't so much the intensity of their lights, as much as the fact that they had them pointing horizontal instead of at the tarmac!

Anyway, I enjoyed it, just need to invest in a decent front light. All kinds of other wildlife out at night too, like foxes. And of course NO CARS! Give it a try.

I've ridden at night in the park for a few years now ... not that often but at least a few times every winter. I agree on the joggers point. Fair enough to jog on the roads, but it is still a road and it doesn't seem too much to ask to put some LEDs on to help prevent an accident with cyclists. Lots of them do to be fair, but I've seen a fair number with no lights in dark clothing ...
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    Hi, I want to start doing some night riding in Richmond Park too. I was wondering how fast people cycle in the park at night. Is it basically the same speed as in daylight, or do you need to slow down a bit even with decent lights?

When it comes to lights I was thinking of using either the CatEye EL610 or a Fenix LD20. I usually average about 16-18mph - are these light going to be good enough? Thanks for your help.
  • Cubic wrote:
    Hi, I want to start doing some night riding in Richmond Park too. I was wondering how fast people cycle in the park at night. Is it basically the same speed as in daylight, or do you need to slow down a bit even with decent lights?

When it comes to lights I was thinking of using either the CatEye EL610 or a Fenix LD20. I usually average about 16-18mph - are these light going to be good enough? Thanks for your help.

You can get by on standard LEDs if the moon is out, but you really want a new generation LED (e.g. USE Exposure/HOPE) or a HID light.

Welcome to the dark side. Cycling in the dark there in winter is not for the feint hearted. Very very different to going there by day. A cold lonely eerie place for die-hards only.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What are the deer like there ? Do they have any road sense ? I only ask cos badgers seem to not be able to see me hurtling down a path with about 300 lumens of light shining.
  • cougie wrote:
    What are the deer like there ? Do they have any road sense ? I only ask cos badgers seem to not be able to see me hurtling down a path with about 300 lumens of light shining.

once the park closes to traffic they view the place as theirs (not sure how this mindset changes during the annual cull). in anycase ... beware ... I've never had a collision thankfully but a deer and i were pretty much eyeball to eyeball once