Forum home Road cycling forum Training, fitness and health

Renting a powermeter?

steve2021steve2021 Posts: 97
Does anyone have any experiences of renting a powermeter from cyclepowermeters.com?

I'm keen to give it a go but are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Posts

  • BeaconRuthBeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I shouldn't think there are any pitfalls to worry about at all. Bob Tobin who runs the company is a great guy who really knows his onions and is a huge powermeter enthusiast. I'm sure he will be extremely helpful and put to bed any concerns you may have if you have a chat to him.

    Ruth
  • liversedgeliversedge Posts: 1,002
    Yep, Ruth is bang on. Had a Powertap Wheel systems on Mavic open pro for a couple of years and Bob is great. I have no hesitation in recommending cyclepowemeters.com.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Thanks everyone - I've put my order in today. You're right - they were extremely helpful!
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 688
    liversedge wrote:
    Yep, Ruth is bang on. Had a Powertap Wheel systems on Mavic open pro for a couple of years and Bob is great. I have no hesitation in recommending cyclepowemeters.com.

    +1
  • bahzobbahzob Posts: 2,195
    Another thumbs up. Very helpful over phone and when had a problem with ergometer head unit and they sent me a FOC replacement which arrived next day.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • hopper1hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    steve2021, glad you posted this, as I'll be following the same path next month... Can't wait :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • I cant wait for it to arrive. I'll be interested to hear how you get on!
  • cswebbocswebbo Posts: 220
    Now you've got me tempted too...
    I've got a power reading on my tacx turbo trainer, would be interested to see how this compares to 'real life'.
  • nmcgannnmcgann Posts: 1,780
    cswebbo wrote:
    Now you've got me tempted too...
    I've got a power reading on my tacx turbo trainer, would be interested to see how this compares to 'real life'.

    Real life (as measured by powertap) is less flattering than the Tacx :(

    Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • genkigenki Posts: 305
    nmcgann wrote:
    cswebbo wrote:
    Now you've got me tempted too...
    I've got a power reading on my tacx turbo trainer, would be interested to see how this compares to 'real life'.

    Real life (as measured by powertap) is less flattering than the Tacx :(

    Neil

    It really depends on how you've got your Tacx calibrated. I rented a PT earlier this year and found they were within 2% of each other across a wide range of power levels. My tacx is an i-magic and I use a scale factor of 110 and calibration around +1.0. But I know if I used a different tacx calibration and set-up it could be out by more than 10% and not necessariy overestimating the actual power.
  • willbevanwillbevan Posts: 1,241
    another thumbs up for there :)

    Had two problems that were resolved next day, first had a mount that had been stuck back together so couldn't flip it between bar or stem, just emailed them to let them know as it wasn't bothering me, had a replacement next day!

    When i went to change the batteries, emailed them as having trouble getting the cover offthe hub, had not come with the special tool (didn't know about this), again delivered next day:)

    Once they are doing upgraded SL 2.4s that have ANT+ ability I will be changing to that, no reservation etc, as a very good business to deal with!
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

    http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
Sign In or Register to comment.