How do you know you are finally a serious "roadie"

hbscouse
hbscouse Posts: 6
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
Now that after my first twelve months on a bike with drop bars, and having finally managed to (touch wood)complete a ride without the dreaded clipless tumble, I was wondering how you know you have become a serious roadie?

I reckon you have when it takes longer to put all the kit on than the ride itself, any other signs?
HB

Comments

• explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    You need to get them legs shaven for real roadie status
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Erm is it wrong that 9 points on that list rang a bell?
  • Nick6891
    Nick6891 Posts: 274
    You need to get them legs shaven for real roadie status
    haha just out of interest how come people always say that, i have heard it loads
  • robjhp
    robjhp Posts: 21
    You know you're a roadie when u remove the peak off your helmet.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Scars, got to have a few scars. You know, like where your skin was peeled away by
    the road some years ago. And these scars must be visible when wearing your summer kit. Anything hidden doesn't count.
    Your bike must look like it's ridden and well used. Constantly shining and cleaning is a no-no. Don't let it get filthy but instead try to strike a balance between the "I ride all the time look" and the "I clean all the time look". A little bit of grunge here and there shows that
    you're not some low life poser.
    Ride without gloves if you can. This shows that you are definitely a manly man rider
    with years of experience.
    Never, never let the big chain ring touch your bare leg. Nothing screams amateur more
    than greasy tooth marks on your calf. If this happens you must stop immediately and
    clean it off. No excuses.
    Ride tubular tires. This will guarantee acceptance into the inner sanctum of upper echelon racers and riders. Real cyclists would rather walk than use clinchers.
    Keep your water bottles a little on the ratty looking side. Cap with some teeth marks in it,
    old worn looking bottle with black marks on it (this requires that you use a metal cage -
    also another must do). It must be filled with a nasty looking lemon - lime colored liquid. No
    exceptions.

Dennis Noward
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I like this one:

"You've been asked if you're a tap dancer." :lol:

You're a real roadie when you get mistaken for a 'Fathers for Justice' protester.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    edited October 2008
    brownbosh wrote:
    Erm is it wrong that 9 points on that list rang a bell?

I made it 10!!!!

You select a restaurant because of its charming, outdoor dining. Your bike is 23 inches away. You lock it anyway. But you can't enjoy your meal because you can't take your eyes off your bike.
    Can I substitute the pub?

You know the location of all the major potholes between your home and office.
    Sounds familiar
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • .......is it when you give a nonchalant wave or nod to a passing cyclist - even when you are driving a car !
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • cycologist wrote:
    .......is it when you give a nonchalant wave or nod to a passing cyclist - even when you are driving a car !

that's a good one,
    Alternatively,
    You know you're a cyclist when
    you wake up, look out of the window and say "it's only a hurricane" I'll go for a ride!

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    ultimate - century (100miles) ride in a day. still hav to do that one.
  • double century on a fixie.
  • dennisn
    No seat bag bigger than wallet size, unless you're commuting. Anything bigger screams
    rookie.

Absolutely no multi colored bar tape. All bar tape must be cork and it must never look new.
    Pieces missing are an added plus(looks like you crashed).

Generally speaking everything must have a worn, well used look to it. New saddles must be ridden in secret until they look suitably well worn(i.e. on a trainer all winter).

Keep the bling to a minimum. Power meters, GPS's, and the like are sure signs of a new
    rider with deep pockets. Bikes should have minimal instruments and simply be ridden fast.
    Nobody really cares about your power output and you must never get lost or even hint at not knowing which way to turn. It is required that you know every road within 100 miles
    of your house.

Dennis Noward
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Dennis, you are answering "How do I make myself look like a right gypo on the bike?" rather than "How do you know you are finally a serious "roadie"?"
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dennisn wrote:
    Never, never let the big chain ring touch your bare leg. Nothing screams amateur more
    than greasy tooth marks on your calf. If this happens you must stop immediately and

:shock:
    Oh my God!!! I'm an amateur!! Oh the shame! :oops:
    Not lost, just exploring...
  • This is sad but true---a couple of years ago I was driving my car in quite heavy traffic up the M11(or freeway for our overseas readers) when I had to swerve slightly to avoid some debris in the road. I smoothly steered round with my right hand, while my left hand went automatically behind my back to let the rider behind me know what I was doing--too many club runs,it affects the brain. :oops:

Rich
  • dennisn
    Dennis, you are answering "How do I make myself look like a right gypo on the bike?" rather than "How do you know you are finally a serious "roadie"?"

Well, you have to admitt that the look is very important. Slighty shabby, well worn, etc.
    all indicate a seasoned rider, whereas all new and shiny equals newby who spends too much time shining. Once you have achieved this "look" you will know you have "arrived".
    I do see your question though and will give it some further thought.:wink::wink:

Dennis Noward
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Personally I'm trying to learn the roads around where i live withing the area denoted by the OS map for that area. Only a square 32 x 58km, when i've learnt them all THEN I'll throw away my map.

AS for grease on the leg from the chainring, NOT a sign of an amateur, I get it becuase unfortunately the comfortable angle for my feet is toes out, which means ankle in.

(In case you were wondering, 7600 miles logged since Nov. 01, 2007.)

My own definitions of you know when....

You justify spending three times as much on your bike as your wife does on her car because the bike is a cheap mode of transport;
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:

:shock:
    Oh my God!!! I'm an amateur!! Oh the shame! :oops:

It's not that the seasoned riders don't get those marks, they do, it's that the seasoned
    rider NEVER lets anyone see him with one. Therefore he "never gets them", so to speak.
    It's not about getting one , it's about being seen with one, then "Oh the shame". Hope I have cleared that up for you.

Dennis Noward
  • edindevon
    edindevon Posts: 325
    When I first started riding seriously a few years ago, I decided that I wouldn't consider myself a proper road rider until I had ridden the distance round the earth at the equator, which they reckon to be about 25,000 miles.

Edindevon
  • Point taken. I shall remove them as soon as they arrive in future! :)
    Not lost, just exploring...
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I reckon anyone who does a lot of cycling on the road, be it commuting, touring, racing or just riding for pleasure could be classed as a serious roadie - no matter how fast they go, what clothes they wear, how small their saddlebag is, or dare I say, even if - shock horror - they dare to ride with standard flat pedals (i.e. no clips or cleats).
  • Yeah.
    I remember being in the car as a passenger with someone else when my partner said: "you know, he's in the car but he's really on his bicycle" :lol::lol:
  • Alex_Simmons/RST
    Alex_Simmons/RST Posts: 4,161
    edited October 2008
    real roadies race. hard. end of story.
    nothing to do with bike or kit.
    it's having a number on your back and the way you race.
  • Well, you have to admitt that the look is very important. Slighty shabby, well worn, etc.
    Quite the opposite. Nothing screams 'amateur' more than grubby bar tape, tyre logos not aligned with valve etc.
  • bobpzero wrote:
    ultimate - century (100miles) ride in a day. still hav to do that one.

change to Km and you'll be ok :D

Damien
    If you need bits missing to look like you've crashed, I'm an elite rider 8)

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I don't agree that real roadies have slightly grubby looking bikes.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I've done this a couple of times! - "Another cyclist asks you for the location of the nearest bike shop; you fix their bike on the spot."
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    dodgy wrote:
    I don't agree that real roadies have slightly grubby looking bikes.

Seconded.

You must look the part.

Fake tan at the start of the season on them shaved legs. :P