Broken Toe

Jaeger
Jaeger Posts: 439
I broke my toe last weekend playing football (the day before my last sportive of the year) and was wondering if anyone else here has done the same and has any advice for training and recovering?

I am hoping to be riding again within 4 weeks, but obviously don't want to cause any further damage. Can anyone advise as to how long to wait to begin training again, for complete recovery, how much my fitness will drop etc.

Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Took me about 4 weeks to heal when I tripped on my father's shoe and snapped my little toe on my right foot... that was years back. I just took some medical tape and taped it up. It actually hurt more than when I got knocked off. :lol:

The pain was spectacular, couldnt even speak for about 10 minutes (must have been bliss to others)

If you've broken your big toe then its more complex I imagine.. I take it if you've broken the biggun then you've been to the doc?
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    If its broken but not at a funny angle, and you can get your shoe on cycling might not be to bad. If its at a funny angle (cf other foot) get it looked at altho' they are unlikely to do much more than pull it straight!
    Do what you can fitness wise - perhaps a trainer would help?
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    It'll take about 4 or 5 weeks for you to be fit for riding again. An educated guess would be that there is no chance of getting a shoe on while you have pain in your foot. Also the pain will resonate through the whole foot so pedalling in itself will be very painful.

Just give it a few weeks to heal and see how you get on. I broke my foot recently and while I can now wear shoes and ride my bike, I am still taking ibuprofen before going out on my (mtb) because of some pain and I am wearing walking/cross training shoes rather than cycling shoes.
  • MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    Jaeger wrote:
    I broke my toe last weekend playing football (the day before my last sportive of the year) and was wondering if anyone else here has done the same and has any advice for training and recovering?

I am hoping to be riding again within 4 weeks, but obviously don't want to cause any further damage. Can anyone advise as to how long to wait to begin training again, for complete recovery, how much my fitness will drop etc.

Any help much appreciated!

broke my big toe playing football, week off work and hobbling around, however 2 weeks later no probs, if you can get your shoe on and it doesn`t feel sore when you peddle, job done i say.
  • Jaeger
    Jaeger Posts: 439
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

It was my big toe. Apparently it was fractured in 2 separate places, but not dislocated at all. They actually formed a U-shaped plaster cast to stop me from stubbing the end, which was huge but made it look a bit more impressive than just limping around the office for no apparent reason (got to go for the sympathy vote!)

I took the bandage and cast off on the weekend and - apart from the funky smell - everything seems fine. It is a bit tender to walk on, but no more bruising and swelling is almost gone. I actually flew overseas to work 2 days after breaking it, so even managed a nice swim in the sea on the weekend! :P

It's certainly not ready to run on yet, but another week or two and cycling shouldn't be a problem at all! :D
  • good luck. I've never known anything hurt as much as a broken toe. Fingers, arm, collarbone, jaw, all not too bad. Toe - f***ing horrible, even 4 months down the line. Was fine to walk on but any pressure from my cycling shoes and I was squealing like a stuck pig
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Apologies for dredging this one out from the old threads home but I broke a toe last night… I dropped a full glass bottle of olive oil on it. It’s the middle one so not that important and an easy one to protect.

I’ve just got back from a week of training in Spain and don’t want to lose the benefits by not riding – and my first road race is this Saturday.

I have very stiff carbon soled shoes which should keep it pretty flat so I’m tempted to start the race and see if it's okay, has anyone tried riding so soon after a break?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I broke my big toe playing football.

It remained straight, so I didn't see a doc. It took a while to heal (6 weeks?) and is okay now although ever so slightly arthritic without the full range of movement. It didn't stop me playing.(; that was the torn abdominal muscles and severe groin strain.)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • sassse
    sassse Posts: 64
    ju5t1n

If you have only broken a middle toe and it is not really displaced, no open wound etc, you should be fine to tape it to another toe and just ride. I have broken a couple of middle toes and doen this and can ride with little or no pain and no time off the bike.... a big toe is a different issue though generally.